Thread: About Arthur Conan Doyle

Question About Arthur Conan Doyle

Hi, I am Ruth, I joined this forum because I am hoping to get some information on Arthur Conan Doyle. I understand he was born and educated in Edinburgh. Are there any recordings of his voice in existence, and if so, has anyone heard any of them? And does he have a distinguishable Scottish accent?

Thanks in advance for any answers to my question.

Ruth

About Arthur Conan Doyle

Ruth asked:
    <Hi, I am Ruth, I joined this forum because I am hoping to get some information on Arthur Conan Doyle. I understand he was born and educated in Edinburgh. Are there any recordings of his voice in existence, and if so, has anyone heard any of them? And does he have a distinguishable Scottish accent?>

Conan Doyle recorded a filmed interview for the Movietone Company in 1928. It's made available from time to time as a DVD special feature; but it was also released as a sound recording (in abridged form) by HMV on a 78rpm record. In 2003, the British Library included it on a CD set entitled 'The Spoken Word: Writers (Historic Recordings of Writers born in the 19th Century)' (ISBN: 0-7123-0516-5). I understand that this CD is not currently available, and believe that this may have something to do with copyright issues relating to some of the authors who were included on the CD. However, try a search, or post a want at e-bay, and you may be lucky in turning up a copy.

And, yes, he did have a distinguishable Scottish accent. Not bad for an Irishman turned Englishman!

Christopher