Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: what book had the most lasting affect on you?

Navy Nuke
    Farmer Giles of Ham! That's such a great story, yet I never think about it, unless I see the book or someone mentions the book. That Tolkien guy is really under-rated. Thanks Az.

Catcher in the Rye, 1984, and Treasure Island all had a lasting effect on me. Which is convientient, as I'm going to be on a cruise, working for big brother, and who knows what kind of children I'll have to save from going over cliffs they can't see.
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone.
    The people themselves therefore are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

Anytime, Az

i'm always down for the CBE recipient

Navy Nuke
    CBE?? as I mentioned in the razzle berry discussion, I'm really bad with acronyms, even while looking at a net acronym site. PM me if I'm being too dumb, plz.
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone.
    The people themselves therefore are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    Cyrano is awsome! Good answere Dru.

I hated to Kill a Mockingbird back in high school when I HAD to read it, but looking back on it, it was really amazing. I'll have to give it one more go sometime when I'm not bogged down.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

smeghead
    It WAS kinda boring, but moving at the same time.
    Last edited by fayefaye; 12-23-2003 at 07:44 AM.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Finally, someone appreciates Cyrano (iwillkiku)

Smile Jonathan Livingston Seagull

For me it was“Jonathan Livingston Seagull” by Richard Bach. An absolute gem of a book, so short (about 70 pages long), yet so touching. Get a copy, mates, and you’ll devour it all at one go. Promise.
    Last edited by Dr Cynic; 01-05-2004 at 01:04 AM.
    All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. (G. Orwell)

I believe the novels that have had a last effect on me are: I Know This Much Is True and She Comes Undone by Wally Lamb, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, Sula and The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, I Know Why The Bird Caged Sing by Maya Angelou, and The Color Purple by Alice Walker.
    ~*~Sophia~*~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine is "Sophie's World" by Jonstein G. Before reading this book, I never knew that philosphy could be that interesting.

I only read half of Kate Chopin's The Awakening, and still not sure what is it about

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    The only book that has ever completely changed my outlook, my understanding of people and the course of my life is Philosophical Works by George Berkeley. Not a work of fiction, but definitely well-written, entertaining and enlightening. (And only a couple of hundred pages long despite its title).

Luke Rhinehart - The Dice Man. Hence my nickname

No, I don't spend every waking minute rolling a die to decide what to do. Rather, the book opened my eyes to the fact that all experiences, even bad ones, are worth having.
    "A good night's sleep is no substitute for caffeine."

...are they Ever. 23 yrs. old was a nightmare/living hell, and sooooo worth it.
    did you read "Illusions" Dr. Cynic? same author...highly recommend it if you haven't

Unhappy No I haven't.

Originally posted by azmuse
    ...did you read "Illusions" Dr. Cynic? same author...highly recommend it if you haven't
    No I haven't. Too bad really. Now I am gonna try and find a copy.

Jane Eyre was the first "grown-up" book I remember reading when I was 12 or 13 and I've since read it at least 3 more times. The strong heroine really impressed me -- this was the late forties or early fifties when strong women were few and far between.

Smile Spot on, mate!

Yeah that's a magnificent book. You can't help being impressed by Maugham's depth of vision and his mind-blowing realism.
    The characters are so real and un-heroic...

Now go and read 'The Razor's Edge", another Maugham masterpiece-if you haven't already.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast