Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: what book had the most lasting affect on you?

off-topic about Dahl...

Originally posted by fayefaye
    I really loved Dahl as a kid.
    Me too as I said...I think I read most of his books, and most of them more than once.
    Maybe that's why we're sistas?

Oh! -actually I remember quoting insults from Matilda was something I used to do. I think I was like six or seven ... I still remember some of them 'They have all the beauty of an iceberg, but unlike an iceberg, nothing beneath the surface' No that's not exact.. but it's been at least eight years since I last read it.
    I remember that too! I think it was quite at the beginning, talking of potential notes on schoolkids, it was about an imaginary (or maybe not?) girl called Fiona (the name stuck in my mind as I had never heard it before), and it was like : 'Fiona owns the same glacial (???) beauty of an iceberg, but like the iceberg there's nothing under it'...or something...I do remember perfectly the first part of the sentence in translation('Fiona possiede la stessa glaciale bellezza di un iceberg...').
    Though I think i first got Mathilda when I was 8 or 9...and I think i re-read it last time when I was aorund 12...it was starting to lose some of its appeal...

Uhm...guess what I'll read tonight befor sleeping... (no it won't be War&Peace )
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Maybe The Harry Potter Serius #1-5
    As I say I i'm only fourteen

smeghead
    LOL. yeah, koa. I loved that thing. I remember I quoted the one about the cicada or something too. I think I've lost my copy of the book, though.. disappeared, now I want to track it down. It's gotta be in my house somewhere. Oh, I've got 400 something (~450) pages left of W &P, and VOWING to finish it by the end of the month, even if it makes me ridiculously far behind the forum book club.

Jay-I bought a copy of Catcher in the Rye today, when I'm done reading it we'll sit back and have a nice chat.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Dahl is good

Maybe In my Fathers House was good

Hands down, Steppenwolf
    If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft, and of thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left, sell one, and with the dole buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

Marigolds was very good and it made since

A Guys Guide to Life Homework Asccuses came in handy #7 is my fav

smeghead
    Originally posted by Koa
    it was like : 'Fiona owns the same glacial (???) beauty of an iceberg, but like the iceberg there's nothing under it'...or something...I do remember perfectly the first part of the sentence in translation('Fiona possiede la stessa glaciale bellezza di un iceberg...').

Uhm...guess what I'll read tonight befor sleeping... (no it won't be War&Peace )
    I FOUND MY COPY OF MATILDA!!!! I haven't seen the thing in years-how exciting. CHECK IT OUT- the insults I would quote as a seven year old-
    'Your son Maximillian[insert the name of someone I dislike here] is a total wash-out. I hope you have a family business you can push him into when he leaves school because he sure as heck won't get a job anywhere else' -lol

'It is a curious truth that grasshoppers have their hearing-organs in the sides of the abdomen. your daughter Vanessa [or insert name], judging by what she's learnt this term, has no hearing organs at all.'

But these were my all-time favourites:

'The periodical cicada spends six years as a grub underground, and no more than six days as a free creature of sunlight and air. your son wilfred [insert name] has spent six years as a grub in this school and we are still waiting for him to emerge from the chrysalis'

'Fiona has the same glacial beauty as an iceberg, but unlike the iceberg she has absolutely nothing below the surface' -you were pretty close, koa.

i loved those. I was such a smartass as a kid [or maybe still am sometimes] but I had really good taste in books.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

LOL faye... great...My copy of the book is there as it has always been, it looks very old, pages are going yellow and the cover is all broken... And that quote was on page 3, and I remembered the first part of the sentence perfectly... The one about the crisalis is brilliant indeed.

I actually got some curiousity about Matilda and Dahl's in general, I'll open another topic about it... Go and check it out immediately!

Originally posted by fayefaye
    . Oh, I've got 400 something (~450) pages left of W &P, and VOWING to finish it by the end of the month, even if it makes me ridiculously far behind the forum book club.

Same here...I think I have less than 400 left now, but I'm bad at maths unless i have a calculator aorund

And hey girlies, I read the catcher in the rye too, last century... (1998 to be precise )

smeghead
    I feel like I'm NEVER going to finish W&P
    (Mark Twain)

mmm...i loved anna karenina but w&p was a chore...
    lord of the rings - 6 or 7 readings of them, also farmer giles of ham & smith of wooton major
    ..also the far pavilions
    wasn't crazy about catcher in the rye, but had read the killer angels and tons of stuff about gettysburg first
    wuthering heights!!
    only one, right? ooops...

Although no one seems to discuss it, I would have to say Cyrano de Bergerac

Smile lasting impact

to kill a mockingbird was an awesome book! there was a lot of symbolism where as if you didnt understand this the book was dull. it was a book of truth and growing up. many people should be able to relate to this book. other than the Bible and to kill a mockingbird i enjoyed "she said yes" it is very moving!
    dani~*

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast