Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: naughty students

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by miss tenderness
    how r ur daughters by the way?
    I have but one, but she's making enough noice for at least two: She just had her 11:th birthday, and has not wound down yet

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

I'm a shadow of myself adilyoussef's Avatar
    Well, I agree with most of you in the way you deal with misbihaving students. In my opinion, first, you should try to find the cause of their misbehaviour. We can't solve a problem without knowing its cause. Once this done, you would know how to react. To give a swift at the back or to react in another way are all useful ways of reacting to your students' misbehaviour. And all depends on the situation you are in.
    But before all this. Make rules the first time you go to class. If some one brakes them, you should punish him/her imediatly. In this way, your students know what is expected from them. Try not to give your students' a dead time. That's to say, make them always busy doing something. In this way they will be concentrated in doing what they are required to do, and always reward them for their effort. Give them a purpose for what they are doing. For example, you can't work for free. If somebody asks you to do a work for him/her, you will ask to be paid. That's the same with your students. Their reward will be something that makes them motivated in doing the task they are asked to do.
    Most trouble makers are so because they want to prove something to others. Try to make profit of this and make them the center of interest. Involve them as much as possible in classroom activities and ask them to do things that make them important in the eyes of their classmates. Ask them to clean the board and write the date for example.
    If you face any problrm with your students, just go back to the years when you were a student yourself and you will find somehow a solution to that problem. I think that you've noticed that some students are eagar to learn in maths for example and don't like English. What makes them so? Once this question unswered, your problem is solved. And the unswerd will only be provided if you know more about your students, their needs, their way of learning, and their social backgounds. There are many factors that interveen in these maters.That's why you are asked to teach only few houres for the remaining are not for having rest at home but to learn from your students. For me, a teacher is just a student him/herself; given exams each moment s/he doing his/her job and should be always prepared, for failure is not tolerated.

Oh! life you'r but hell
    Oh! hell you'r but in me
    When I'v lost your love
    I'm lost in an ocean of destiny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adilyoussef
    Well, I agree with most of you in the way you deal with misbihaving students. In my opinion, first, you should try to find the cause of their misbehaviour. We can't solve a problem without knowing its cause. Once this done, you would know how to react. To give a swift at the back or to react in another way are all useful ways of reacting to your students' misbehaviour. And all depends on the situation you are in.
    But before all this. Make rules the first time you go to class. If some one brakes them, you should punish him/her imediatly. In this way, your students know what is expected from them. Try not to give your students' a dead time. That's to say, make them always busy doing something. In this way they will be concentrated in doing what they are required to do, and always reward them for their effort. Give them a purpose for what they are doing. For example, you can't work for free. If somebody asks you to do a work for him/her, you will ask to be paid. That's the same with your students. Their reward will be something that makes them motivated in doing the task they are asked to do.
    Most trouble makers are so because they want to prove something to others. Try to make profit of this and make them the center of interest. Involve them as much as possible in classroom activities and ask them to do things that make them important in the eyes of their classmates. Ask them to clean the board and write the date for example.
    If you face any problrm with your students, just go back to the years when you were a student yourself and you will find somehow a solution to that problem. I think that you've noticed that some students are eagar to learn in maths for example and don't like English. What makes them so? Once this question unswered, your problem is solved. And the unswerd will only be provided if you know more about your students, their needs, their way of learning, and their social backgounds. There are many factors that interveen in these maters.That's why you are asked to teach only few houres for the remaining are not for having rest at home but to learn from your students. For me, a teacher is just a student him/herself; given exams each moment s/he doing his/her job and should be always prepared, for failure is not tolerated.
    Adil, these are some of the wisest things I have ever heard. You must be an excellent teacher.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ClaesGefvenberg
    I have but one, but she's making enough noice for at least two: She just had her 11:th birthday, and has not wound down yet

/Claes

LoL ,yah , I'm sure that you 're not that old to have daughterS, sorry if I've given that pic. .yours seem very naughty then? I dunno I love naughty kids,but not students, more than those who tend to be quiet.
    Give kiss to your lovely rose, I'm sure she is making ur life colorful and happy.

You know, that rapid and rabid matter, I do sometimes look at things and get an idea about them ,but never go back to revise if they as what I've figured out or not! Mostly it happens wed me in questions of exams. I sometimes read a q and since I already have an idea of what it might be , I do not complete reading the q. , this leads to disasters . thankfully, I did not reach disasters! Maybe I need you to give me a notice in such cases. Do not worry , they are rare but they do happen sometimes.

Adilyussef, very good essay man! If we are able to go step by step by your nicely worded solutions I'm sure we'll be the best teachers ever. Teachers can not have same ways in presenting lessons and dealing with abrupt problems, it's fully controlled by the various personalities of teachers. That's why they can not follow same solutions for whatever fits one can not fit another but they should try their best to act within the educational limits of solving problems just like what you've stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Adil, these are some of the wisest things I have ever heard. You must be an excellent teacher.
    I second that!

One of the big skills I learned (but of course haven't mastered) during my brief time substitute teaching was how to manage a classroom. A lot of things depend upon situation. One thing that worked for me was if a whole class was slow to quiet down, I would say in a calm, normal tone of voice, "If you can hear me say, 'shhh'." Mostly, I got weird looks, but even those kids said "shhh" and it trickled around the room till I had their attention.

For one or two disruptive students, a seating change is neccessary. As a substitute, many students wouldn't take me seriously. Though I didn't do it at the time, (hind-sight is 20/20) I really should have sent them to the office. One interesting tip I learned was that as I teacher, I should make a seating chart with post-it notes so that when I have to change a seat, I just re-stick the name on the note somewhere else on the chart! Of course, if you have a substitute, photocopy your chart so student won't switch it on them.

Sadly, I had to use the threat of sending students to the office a lot and even follow through with it because to a student, a substitute means a "free day". Some teachers even gave me referal slips already filled out to send a student to the office, complete with the offence! All I had to do was to show it to the student who was acting up!

Okay, just one more thing. When I observed some classes during my substitute training, one teachers lesson was to read aloud Jack London's To Build A Fire. I observed this for two classes and in both, about 90% of the student's fell asleep! Her solution to this was to mark down the sleepers in her grade book. Though I didn't say anything (she was an older 'seasoned' teacher), I strongly disagreed with this tactic. High school students 'live in the moment' and don't really care that they were marked dowm for sleeping. What I would have done was to have the student's act out the story as it was being read. After all, that was what they evidently wanted to do anyway judging by their rowdy behavior at the beginning of class.

I think you should read Rookie Teaching for Dummies (it was one of my required reading texts). Though I haven't been able to utilize the info yet, I found it very practical. It's set up like a textbook so that you can just take a chunk from here or there to use. I read the entire book and enjoyed it.

Boy, this is long! Tell me if I'm rambling too much!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

I'm a shadow of myself adilyoussef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Thank you dear Virgil! I hope that one day I'll be just a good teacher who is loved for his work and rewarded for his efforts. I feel so happy when I see people understand things that were difficult for them. I just love my job.
    Virgil, you are a very nice man. Thanks again!

Oh! life you'r but hell
    Oh! hell you'r but in me
    When I'v lost your love
    I'm lost in an ocean of destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Shea
    Boy, this is long! Tell me if I'm rambling too much!

thanks Shea , it's not long I really enjoyed reading it and I'm looking for the articles you recomended

Quote Originally Posted by miss tenderness
    thanks Shea , it's not long I really enjoyed reading it and I'm looking for the articles you recomended
    It's actually a book in the "Dummies" series and is written by a math teacher named W. Michael Kelly who has quite a humorous wit. I really laughed out loud at parts.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

must be enjoyable then. I'll check it soon

*Yes I know I'm Canadian*
    i'm not a teacher but i say just to tell this student if he won't be quiet and quit disrupting your class then you will give him a 5,000 word essay on how to shut his/her mouth and stop being a disruption..

lol like this shelby,I'm thinking of trying it.

Well, reading everyone's opinions here makes me feel rather mean comparatively. I just graduated from high school a few months ago, and I cannot express the relief I felt at never again having to be stuck in a class with people who didn't have some sort of business there. I always said, all throughout high school, "Why do you not simply get rid of them? They're annoying as hell! They don't belong here; kick them out!" I've always said the teacher's job is not the parent's. A school is not a day care. If the student is not capable of being civilized, they simply have to be removed for the sake of those who are, because LEARNING DOES NOT TAKE PLACE OTHERWISE. And that's what school is for, after all. Once is enough, frankly. Certainly one need not hold things with the "Stalinistic fist" mentioned earlier, but it is generally rather obvious when there is a problem - though perhaps this only seems so to me because I am a student. Anyway, yeah, I'm obviously a bit on the intolerant side, but this is simply because it was always the students like me - who did the work, paid attention, were dead silent throughout, never cheated, and, if nothing else, PRETENDED TO CARE about the subject - that suffered for the idiocy of our more...let us say "audibly munificent" counterparts. Sorry, I'm waxing self-righteous here, but such was the case.

Only "true" solution for this. Is a personality. A personality who'll get student's respect and love. That's all...

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Fear, thats the best way to control the little blighters.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast