Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: success in life

success in life

I'm always searching in my life ,at least till now .But I get confused at a time about what I am looking for.Apparently I don't have a clear and steady goal in mind ,or I have too many goals so that I can't concentrate myself.Sometimes success seems far away from me,so many things I have done didn't quite satisfy me.So I'm wondering ,what is the definition of success?What kind of person can be called "success"?
    Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you have been ,but also where you are going .

For me success would be being satisfied with what I'm doing. Leading a contended & peaceful life is what I would define real success as.
    The eternal quest of the individual human being is to shatter his loneliness.

Take my advice - never say I'm satisfied.
    "Don't need a gun to blow your mind"

I suppose It depends what Kinda person you are. If youre the kind of person that's never satisfied and always wants more and more I suppose being succesful would be making lots of money, living in a big house and driving fast cars.

But some people define success as living a stable peaceful life close to their loved ones all while raising kids and holding a steady job.

But as I said some people Aren't satisfied with that. They need more than that.
    Last edited by sHaRp12; 07-02-2006 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sHaRp12
    If youre the kind of person that's never satisfied and always wants more and more I suppose being succesful would be making lots of money, living in a big house and driving fast cars.
    Making money is just one of the things. What I meant was that never be satisfied with what you have achieved. Some people loose the zest for advancement once they attain stability in life and settle for a contented life from where there will be no further progress.

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar
    Some people loose the zest for advancement once they attain stability in life and settle for a contented life from where there will be no further progress.
    caesar,

life always progresses, even when living a contented life.

anyway,

'success is getting what you want, but liking it while you are getting it is happiness.' ( i read this in 'O, the Oprah Winfrey Magazine', and on which issue i forgot. is it attributed to anyone?)
    in my opinion though success isn't success if you aren't happy. i guess the two come hand-in-hand.
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Point well taken.

well ,sometimes I think if one can have kinship ,friendship and love semultaneously and keep them for life ,then he is a success.
    Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you have been ,but also where you are going .

That's a beautiful idea, apple jiang.

I would agree with sHaRp12 that it depends a lot on what kind of person you are. What makes one person happy, might suffocate someone else, and vice versa.

I think one should be true to one self. Once you get to know yourself, and get to know what makes you happy, what is important to YOU, what you are good at and so on, you will be of more joy to both your self and others.

Success has many faces, I would say. Only one self knows what it looks like.
    "Everything between people is entangled, and nobody can be called neither entirely innocent nor entirely guilty." (Sabo's transl.)
    Mesa Selimovic, The Fortress

As long as you are searching and seeking, which you obviously are, that mindset keeps life revealing unexpected and unanticipated experiences, -- even better than we might not currently define for ourselves. As long as you are open to the "new," have some measure of fortitude, and are reasonably kind to others, beneficent events will appear, sometimes out of nowhere if you are persistent and patient. Life has a way of taking care of its own, which you are.

One writer clarifies, "Success in life depends upon persistent effort, upon the improvement of moments more than upon any other one thing. A great amount of time is consumed in talking nothing, doing nothing, and indecision as to what one should do. If one would be successful in the future, let him [or her] make the most of the present." Eugene O'Neil, in the play "The Iceman Commeth" talks about "pipe dreams" as the thing that we have a habit of falling into, and that we ought to avoid lest we become paralized and can't accomplish anything.

Also, go rent the "Pink Panther" movie where Inspector Dryfus, at the beginning of the movie, has presumably been cured of his hatred of Cluseau. He keeps repeating that German phrase that somebody coined as a cure for pessimism, "Every day in every way, it's getting better and better." When confusion tempts you, and it tempts everyone, say that phrase a few times and see what happens.

It's "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" -- 1976

Apparently, it is a French psychiatric phrase by a guy named Emile Coue. Look him up at "wikipedia.com" and the saying has a little different wording. Remember, its sortof a game to take serious only up to a point, as proven by Dryfus in the movie.
    Last edited by byquist; 07-05-2006 at 04:45 PM.

For me, success in life means I am able to live a life like an open book where there is nothing that I need to hide, there is no thoughts that I need to keep to myself and I have the freedom to speak my mind and all my work and effort is channelled into making the lives of others better.

To do this, I have to live a life of truth, integrity and service. This is something I found very hard to do and even harder to achieve. I have achieved very little of what I want to do and during this journey, I am thankful that my friends and critics have helped me, and in most cases, save me from being self centred, that is ocassionally more concern about my own well-being and convenience than the interests of others.

There is a long way to go before I could achieve success. It is so far because I have not had good control over my thoughts and actions. Once I am able to transform my mind and had the ability and discipline over it, I am sure I will be moving faster and more closely to reach success.

Hope that all will find wholesome success(es) in life.

Interesting question, apple jiang, but, as with most things, I think of the idea of success as entirely individualized. One could certainly consider Donald Trump an immense success in his career - not only because everyone notices his wealth, public spot-light, television show, etc., but also because he visualizes himself as successful. Though others may not notice nor agree, a homeless man, begging spare change every day for food, could consider himself just as successful; I doubt if very many people would desire this life of homelessness, but, so long as the man perceived himself as successful (for getting food or shelter for a night, for example), he seems to have as much success as Donald Trump.
    In terms of self-confidence, self-esteem, an outlook on the future, and attaining the closest thing to ideal happiness, success appears as quite a necessity. As long as a person does something with his/her life, one would hope that the individual progresses somehow through such diligence; I have seen some horrible cases, but the failure of success, which, no doubt, we have all felt during one time, at least, feels terrible.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What kind of person can be called "success"?

Read your signature. I think that's one of good definitions of success

Quote Originally Posted by apple jiang
    I'm always searching in my life ,at least till now .But I get confused at a time about what I am looking for.Apparently I don't have a clear and steady goal in mind ,or I have too many goals so that I can't concentrate myself.Sometimes success seems far away from me,so many things I have done didn't quite satisfy me.So I'm wondering ,what is the definition of success?What kind of person can be called "success"?
    I think you answer your own question. Success can only be defined as fulfilling your goals. If you have no goals, it follows that you will never succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by apple jiang View Post
    Success and sacrifice go together or at least cohabit. Unless you do not sacrifice something you can not get it.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast