Thread: Yes but when??

Yes but when??

Ok WHEN was H VI Pt 1 written/performed.
    I am interested in the use of text that reads almost identically to the "Riot Act" of 1715 [Officer Act 1 Sc 3].
    Clearly the audience members of the time {late 16th Cent.} were aware of such pronouncements otherwise he would not have written it.
    Was it based on existant legislation or a later addition? Anyone know?!?
    Last edited by Mr_Jones; 06-28-2006 at 09:40 PM.

Since no else knows I checked on Wikipedia (not an entirely reliable source!) and they suggested Henry VI part 1 was written around 1596. Is this right?

How 'bout the "Riot Act"? According to Wikipedia (sorry no time for in-depth search) the hearld had to cry out:

"Our Sovereign Lord the King [or Queen] chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God Save the King [or Queen]."
    Riot Act (1 Geo. 1, c. 5) of 1714

compare that to:

Officer: All manner of men assembled here in arms this day against God's peace and the king's, we charge and command you, in his highness' name, to repair to your several dwelling-places; and not to wear,handle, or use any sword, weapon, or dagger, henceforward, upon pain of death.
    Henry VI Part 1 Act 1 Scene 3

Pretty prescient of Bill to guess the wording of an act of Parlement some 120 years ahead of time!

Date?

As I have often found, Wikipedia is not the Bible of information, particularly when it comes to relatively scholarly subject areas. Henry VI was certainly not written any later than 1594, as versions of the play appeared during the period between 1584 and 94, before the theatres reopened following the Plague-induced closure between 91 and 93. It is most likely by my supposition that HVI P1 was written in the late 1580s, possibly around 1588, four years after Shakespeare first moved to London. The exact dating of Shakespeare plays is practically impossible, but this is the best estimate I can personally produce based on what I know!

PaulF