Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Life.

Meaning of Life.

It is in my humble opinion that life truly has no meaning. We are organisms put on this planet to live our life and and do what pleases us. We are nothing but another species with superior intelligence and reason. That is why our life has so much structure and beurocracy. We live our life in guaranteed death. We reproduce and the next generation goes through this life cycle. Repeated hundreds of times all while the process of Evolution takes place. Therefore our life truly has no meaning. In a broader sense nothing really has any meaning whatsoever. But our emotions, our emotions is what blinds us into this anomaly which very few ever realize that we are meaningless. On this earth to do only what pleases us.

I realize that this idea has brought many poets to their death by suicide.

Sincerely, A thoughtful adolescent and realist.

Quote Originally Posted by sHaRp12
    It is in my humble opinion that life truly has no meaning. We are organisms put on this planet to live our life and and do what pleases us. We are nothing but another species with superior intelligence and reason. That is why our life has so much structure and beurocracy. We live our life in guaranteed death. We reproduce and the next generation goes through this life cycle. Repeated hundreds of times all while the process of Evolution takes place. Therefore our life truly has no meaning. In a broader sense nothing really has any meaning whatsoever. But our emotions, our emotions is what blinds us into this anomaly which very few ever realize that we are meaningless. On this earth to do only what pleases us.
    Isn't that the meaning of your life, sharp?

I disagree with you. It is my thought that life of all things is to simpaly reproduce and nothing more. We are here to create new homosapians to go on and recreate and same for those and the ones that follow. If you think we are just animals you can see what I mean by just looking at anything alse in nature trees, birds, insects, us its all to reproduce and keep the world in homeostasis.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think, leaving out religious ideas, that the fact that you can even contemplate your own existence, and the possibilities of why you are on the earth shows that there is more meaning in our lives than just reproduction, survival and death.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

I find your opinions Interesting.

Repeated hundreds of times all while the process of Evolution takes place. Therefore our life truly has no meaning.
    using that logic, your life does have some meaning: to aid in evolution! and maybe then eventually someone's life will have more meaning.
    On this earth to do only what pleases us.
    personally, I think that would lead to anarchy and much unpleasantness (to say the least).
    I totally agree with you, grace86. I, however, am religious so I think that the meaning or purpose of my life is to try to reach perfection (a holy state close to God) and to live for God and for others.
    I don't hate raoul, I just like erik more.

Blog Entries
    Well yes, Avari, I am devoted to my God and have my relationship with Him and cling to my beliefs...but I was just trying to say that even leaving out a religious, higher power out of the picture, there is still reason enough to say there is meaning to life. I just did not want to seem pushy on my beliefs. I could easily say that, well, a higher power is what gives us the awareness of the ability to contemplate meaning....so I was just trying to leave it simple. Sorry to give any misinterpretations on my beliefs. I am deeply religious though.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

I realize that this idea has brought many poets to their death by suicide.

Sincerely, A thoughtful adolescent and realist.
    I can't express, how glad I felt reading your opinion on life. I couldn't agree more with your conclusion that life is meaningless; also, with your reasoning that it is 'death' which strips life of its meaning. However, I don’t blame evolution as much as death.

I call my take on life as 'the theory of futility of life'. It is based on the premise that the primary objective of all living beings is to survive. If we can't survive forever, there would be no meaning to what we are doing now, because all that we have created will come to naught. It would mean that all our discoveries and inventions were in vain. Imagine how ridiculous it would seem then to (if we could) think that we fought and killed each other over ideologies, religion and borders - none of which eventually survived – no country without citizens, no god without his followers, no good, no bad. There would be nobody to even talk about us.

However, I do agree that the proposition that ‘humans cannot survive forever’ is debatable. But this is the reason for my holding such a despondent belief.

I'm sure, everyone would agree, when I say that life on earth will cease to exist when the sun burns out. In fact, existence would become impossible as soon as the sun begins to burns out (I mean, when our young yellow sun turns into a red giant). In short, we cannot continue to exist on earth forever. Unless we manage to colonize other parts of the universe and continue to do so from time to time, we won't be able to survive forever.
    "Don't need a gun to blow your mind"

meaning of life

I am an advocate in Bombay and I have to face the harsh realities of life pretty often. I just wish to put my view across the table that, if nothing is meaningful then no one is meaningful and if that is the case, why do we feel a heart wrenching depthless black horror and sadness when we lose someone close to us? Or why do we feel at all. We find ourselves in a whirlwind mix of particles constantly in danger of collision and yes, sometimes there appears to be no meaning to it all. But it is not for what we receive in this life but what we are to others that provide the much-desired understanding of our purpose in living. The simplest people are the happiest because they are always surrounded by people who love them and who need them. In giving you shall and do receive.
    ( I don’t mean to preach but i'd like to reach)

sincerely, an optimistic and not so adolescent idealist

, if nothing is meaningful then no one is meaningful and if that is the case, why do we feel a heart wrenching depthless black horror and sadness when we lose someone close to us?
    I believe I explained this is my post.

But our emotions, our emotions is what blinds us into this anomaly which very few ever realize that we are meaningless.

I can only say that I guarantee (and would put money on it) that if you fall in love tomorrow, you will diametrically change your opinion, and immediately discover that life has ultra-meaning, and your greatest wish would be to "stop time."

Another potential rebuff to your current view would be if you have (and take serious note of) or were to have a precious child, or adopted a child, say a baby, and then life immediately has very vital importance to it. (Not always so, as in the case of S. Plath still taking her life despite two lil' children sleeping in the next room.)

If you want to continue repeating this negation-based theory of life, have at it since its a free country, but definitely don't regularly go see Woody Allen films, since they tend to poke fun at this form of negativism.

grace86, I'm sorry, I think what I said was the misleading post. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't religious, just that I was going to consider what you said with regards to religion. as I said earlier, I totally agree with you.
    I don't hate raoul, I just like erik more.

Blog Entries
    Avari, no harm, no apologies necessary...all hugs!

It is in my humble opinion that life truly has no meaning. We are organisms put on this planet to live our life and and do what pleases us.
    Sharp, I see where you get this idea, but I would qualify it. Life may have no intrinsic meaning. . .we live, we die as any other animal. But that "superior intelligence and reason" you acknowledge humans to possess imbues us with a burden - we alone recognise the futility and meaninglessness of existence, therefore we have the responsibility to create meaning for ourselves.
    This is not an intrinsic "meaning of life," some absolute quintessence- it is an individual construct forced upon us by the emotions and reason we possess.
    I am a little world made cunningly
    Of elements, and an angelic sprite; - John Donne

Blog Entries
    I like the words you used to explain your view Hyacinth. It's like mine, only explained a little more.

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast