Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: philippine literature

philippine literature

hi there... im doing a research on the lives of jose rizal and francisco balagtas... part of this research is the study of their works (noli me tangere, el filibusterismo, florante at laura, ibong adarna)... i know this is a long shot... i was just wondering if any of you have read any of these books...
    if you have read them, i have a few questions for you...
    1. what do you think about them?
    2. what lessons/ ideas/ insights have you gained from these books?
    3. would you recommend that others read them? why/ why not?...
    i would greatly appreciate your help on this. thanks!...
    *** firvo spatze bros. ***

*sighs* ...there are so many literatures in the world...this is one of the many (far too many) I don't know anything about
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Never heard of it
    As I say I i'm only fourteen

hmmm... man, i knew this was a long shot... okay... i guess now i'll just ask if you've heard of any filipino writers and if you have any favorites...

i never heard of any filipino writers.

didn't know filipinos were literate...just kidding i'm just a moron who has never read any of their works...no offense about the illiterate thing...i use elipses a lot...damn...lots o' elipses...
    "Durito says there lies a difference between the Zapatistas and the rest of human beings:where everyone sees an apple, the Zapatista sees a seed, goes and prepares the land, sows the seed and cares for it."
    Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos
    From a dawn in the 21st century

Hello!
    I'm from the Philippines too. I've read Florante and Laura and Noli Me Tangere. I'm halfway through of El Filibusterismo but I know the ending is.
    I like the Noli better that El Fili. El Fili has a sad ending compared to Noli Me Tangere. It's tragic.
    Noli is good because it shows the love story between Ibarra and Maria Clara. In this book Maria Clara knew her true identity that she's the daughter of a priest, Padre Damaso and she thought that Ibarra died and she decided to enter the nunnery.
    On the other hand, Maria Clara died in El Fili and Simoun( Crisostomo Ibarra) suicided. It is such a sad story because Simoun tried so hard to rescue Maria Clara from the Nunnery yet he was too late in rescuing her. A few hours before he attempots to rescue her, Maria Clara died. All his suffering and sacrifices mean nothing at all that it is better that he'll die.
    What is invisible is essential to the eye...from The Little Prince of Exupery

... not all filipinos are illiterate... although i must admit that over 60 % of all filipinos don't finish school due to poverty...

it's nice to know that i took my chances for something after all... im glad you're in this too optional... i have also read the noli and im also halfway through the el fili... man... no wonder they call these things national treasures... elias was my favorite character in noli while im beginning to like isagani from el fili... who are your favorites??

I dwell... in a place that is perpetually inhabited by beings of my kind, Rockistas, we call us... and so we continue to live in that place, in a world that is eternally moving, swept by the torrents of musical wind.
    Blog Entries
    This is an old thread, but I would pretty much like to revive it. As you see, I'm a relatively new member
    What happened to Ibarra, then, after they all lost sight of him? He didn't really die, did he? It was mentioned in the book, though not within the original story. I haven't finished El Fili yet, but so far I haven't seen anything much about Ibarra's new life, only snippets regarding his history.
    Wish hard enough, I could turn it to what I like.

Fall Out Boy, "Tiffany Blews."

I read the children's edition of Florante & Laura and Ibong Adarna back when I was in elementary school. I read Noli and Fili - in Pilipino!! - in high school, it was required reading. I cannot make a comment on them anymore, I read them too long ago. I do remember that Maria Clara and Ibarra were star-crossed lovers; Crispin's mother went mad. And Maria Clara was a friar's daughter, was she not?

Among the more modern Filipino writers, I find that F. Sionil Jose is good. Jessica Hagedorn is American, if I'm not mistaken, but I think she's part Pinay and she knows her Philippines. I have read her Dogeaters. It's quite a relevant story.

You're right. Granting that the school drop-out rate is high because of poverty, that does not necessarily mean that the population would be mostly illiterate. The most recent statistics show that the literacy rate in the Philippines is around 92.6. That is remarkably high for a "third-world country."

Quote Originally Posted by bbq13 View Post
    ... not all filipinos are illiterate... although i must admit that over 60 % of all filipinos don't finish school due to poverty...

it's nice to know that i took my chances for something after all... im glad you're in this too optional... i have also read the noli and im also halfway through the el fili... man... no wonder they call these things national treasures... elias was my favorite character in noli while im beginning to like isagani from el fili... who are your favorites??

I dwell... in a place that is perpetually inhabited by beings of my kind, Rockistas, we call us... and so we continue to live in that place, in a world that is eternally moving, swept by the torrents of musical wind.
    Blog Entries
    Say, bouquin, you're Pinoy too? Wow. That makes... 7 active pinoy members!!! Or maybe even more... see for yourself, Calling All Filipinos thread

Well yeah, Maria Clara was Padre Damaso's daughter; he secretly took advantage on Pia Alba (Kapitan Tiago's wife) upon figuring that Kapitan Tiago was impotent. Ma. Clara never got to see her mother; quite unfortunately Dona Pia died while giving birth. Crispin's mother--that's Sisa--she went mad when all things went wrong in her life. Crispin was murdered and Basilio was in trouble.

The story is actually vague, I must admit. Nevertheless Rizal was able to convey his thoughts on the social cancer that the Philippines was then suffering from under Spain's rule.
    Wish hard enough, I could turn it to what I like.

Fall Out Boy, "Tiffany Blews."

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    Brrrhhh.... Those remind me of my high school days.

I know that there is a modern version of Noli Me Tangere called "Noli Me Tangere 2", a book written by Roger Olivares, which aims to rekindle the nationalistic hearts of Filipinos. Instead of the story set in 1887 (El Fili was set 13 years after Noli, could be 1900-1901), it is now set in the 2000s (i think 2005, the website says "At last, after 118 years"). The Elias in the story is now an advisor to the President (where he is unable to stand the corruption and ineptness around him so he quits his job and joins the underground), Maria Clara is now a physician living in the slums, and Crisostomo Ibarra is now called Cris and returns to the Philippines after his studies abroad and finds the country in a terrible mess. As in the earlier novel, Cris tries to do something about it and dies in the attempt.

Here's the website.
    http://www.noli2.com

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow didn't realize there was a modernized cersion of the old classic *cough: headache*

didn;t have the chance appreciate florante at laura. ibong adarna i didn;t get to really maximize; same with noli.. the reason for all of this being the language barrier; yes i'm pinay and i grew up here but i started speaking filiino in only first year (high school) so i didn;t get the lessons in school. el fili i really got to appreicate though, since we had a really good teacher and i was reading an english translation, which was well-written: The Reign of Greed, Charles Derbyshire. i felt like i was reading Les Mis, Victor Hugo. Derbyshire also has a version of Noli, The Social Cancer, which i havent really had the opportunity to crack open (let alone find).
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast