Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do in summer?

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What do you do in summer?

What do you usually do in summer? what are some typical summer activities in your country?
    down here (Germany) most kids/teens and families spend virtually all summer at the open air swimming pool. they'll stay there all day, swim, read, sunbathe....
    are there open air pools in your country at all? it somehow strikes me as typically German.... i know there are small ones at snobbish clubs in some countries, but do you have big public ones?

other popular summer activities are going to lakes (to do the same as at the pool), cycling, walking, having barbecues and going to beergardens

It is very hot in Pakistan so people usually try to pay a visit to northern areas of Pakistan to spend their Summer Vacations. Other activities include meeting relatives, studying for the next grade and exams, doing Summer Task, etc. Most of the young girls are taught sewing and cooking in the Summer Holidays. Well it depends on person to person and what they like to do...
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    Summers are funny here in the Virgin Islands...our high tourist season (and therefore the most prosperous season) is winter, because everyone wants to be somewhere warm in the winter. This, of course, means plane flights, cruises, and hotel rooms cost a LOT in the winter...so everyone on the island gets rich off of the rich tourists who were able to afford such a trip...

SUMMER, for the same reasons, is a poor time...we all go broke because the only tourists we get are the cheap ones who went for the "SUMMER VACATION DEAL PACK" and came to the VI in the HOTTEST, MUGGIEST, HURRICANE-SEASON time of the year! (HAHA!) This means we get the cheapies and everyone is broke...so for the most part we avoid touristy spots like beaches and shopping areas and spend more time in the air-conditioned theatre, at friends' houses playing video games, or at the local bars getting wasted off of free shots for dancing on the bartops

Sometimes we'll even escape to Puerto Rico (hey...fares are cheap both ways) to go on a SUMMER CLEARANCE shopping spree in the big malls (we don't have any here).
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

For those who have visited Portland, Oregon, one may realize what unpredictable weather we can have, ranking as the second rainiest metropolitan city in the U.S. Around here, many people seem like the outdoors-type; during the summer, many festivals, carnivals, parades (including the Rose Parade, Portland nicknamed 'The City Of Roses'), and areas to hike, bicycle, walking, and wandering. Relatively nearby, in all directions, lie the city, various mountains, the ocean, dry desert-like regions, rivers, lakes, national monuments and sites, and lots and lots of nature.
    As for me, besides attending to various natural sites and sometimes the Rose Parade/Festival, I usually write a lot. Though I have graduated now, while in college, I could write very little, feeling so preoccupied and stresses; hence, I would do a lot of my writing during the summer (last summer, I even wrote a whole play with rhyming lines in Alexandrian style in the span of 3 months!).

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    For those who have visited Portland, Oregon, one may realize what unpredictable weather we can have, ranking as the second rainiest metropolitan city in the U.S. Around here, many people seem like the outdoors-type; during the summer, many festivals, carnivals, parades (including the Rose Parade, Portland nicknamed 'The City Of Roses'), and areas to hike, bicycle, walking, and wandering. Relatively nearby, in all directions, lie the city, various mountains, the ocean, dry desert-like regions, rivers, lakes, national monuments and sites, and lots and lots of nature.
    As for me, besides attending to various natural sites and sometimes the Rose Parade/Festival, I usually write a lot. Though I have graduated now, while in college, I could write very little, feeling so preoccupied and stresses; hence, I would do a lot of my writing during the summer (last summer, I even wrote a whole play with rhyming lines in Alexandrian style in the span of 3 months!).
    Oh that seems just wonderful. I envy you, mono!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mono
    yep that sounds like Paradise! can i come there for a holiday? is Oregon on the Pacific coast north of Cali?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannanigan
    Summers are funny here in the Virgin Islands...our high tourist season (and therefore the most prosperous season) is winter, because everyone wants to be somewhere warm in the winter. This, of course, means plane flights, cruises, and hotel rooms cost a LOT in the winter...so everyone on the island gets rich off of the rich tourists who were able to afford such a trip...

SUMMER, for the same reasons, is a poor time...we all go broke because the only tourists we get are the cheap ones who went for the "SUMMER VACATION DEAL PACK" and came to the VI in the HOTTEST, MUGGIEST, HURRICANE-SEASON time of the year! (HAHA!) This means we get the cheapies and everyone is broke...so for the most part we avoid touristy spots like beaches and shopping areas and spend more time in the air-conditioned theatre, at friends' houses playing video games, or at the local bars getting wasted off of free shots for dancing on the bartops
    that's really interesting. where are the tourists mainly from?

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch
    yep that sounds like Paradise! can i come there for a holiday? is Oregon on the Pacific coast north of Cali?

that's really interesting. where are the tourists mainly from?

Ah, Portland, Oregon. Every time I see a post by mono now I am going to be sooo jealous! That was a good trip. (Yes, it's on the Pacific Coast north of Cali, Sleepy )

Most of the tourists are from cold states or states in the middle of the US where there are no beaches, but almost all are from a state, period, because St. Thomas is one of three (oops, 4, we just added one) US Virgin Islands and is therefore US territory...so flying here is cheaper and easier than going "international" to other Caribbean islands. The nickname for us is "America's Caribbean" or "America's Paradise." They film a lot of beach/ocean movies here...like Pirates of the Caribbean and that movie with a guy named Bernie...he's dead but walks when music is playing...I can't remember the title, but it was filmed right here on St. Thomas...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive
    Oh that seems just wonderful. I envy you, mono!
    Yes, it seems a lovely place, but the weather can get quite unpredictable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch
    Indeed. This link will show you a map of Oregon, Portland located in the deep northwest, the whole state north of California and Nevada, south of Washington, and west of Idaho.

Blog Entries
    cool thanks for the link

Summer in Montréal means two things: festivals and sport.

Sport: whether it's the Grand Prix, L'impact (our soccer team), Tennis Masters, le tour de l'ile (bike ride) or this year the Out Games... there's always something to go see or participate in.

Festivals: Jazz fest, francofolies, Mondiale SAQ (fireworks every week), Just for Laughs, Film festival, Hot Air Balloon fest, ... and that's not even half of it.

People here like ti enjoy the weather since we have a lot of snow in the winter. So there's always people out on the terrasses.

As for me, this summer I work in a day camp so I'm having a ton of fun and being paid for it. The tan also comes with the job!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Émilie
    Summer in Montréal means two things: festivals and sport.

Sport: whether it's the Grand Prix, L'impact (our soccer team), Tennis Masters, le tour de l'ile (bike ride) or this year the Out Games... there's always something to go see or participate in.

Festivals: Jazz fest, francofolies, Mondiale SAQ (fireworks every week), Just for Laughs, Film festival, Hot Air Balloon fest, ... and that's not even half of it.

People here like ti enjoy the weather since we have a lot of snow in the winter. So there's always people out on the terrasses.

As for me, this summer I work in a day camp so I'm having a ton of fun and being paid for it. The tan also comes with the job!
    i used to go on camps with the red cross.. didn't get paid for it though and minding 15 screaming brats 24/7 wasn't much of a holiday i'd like to go again though.. can't go this summer or any time soon coz i've got lots of other obligations

Why pester someone for... formality hater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here in Pakistan people spend most of their summers in eating mangoes,visiting cool places within the country and enjoying the exquisitive delights:sugarcane syrups,ice balls with sweet syrups,lemonades and the most wanted-"lassi"(oh man,the very name of it makes me drool).
    Leaping and hopping like a frog now, but still have a long way to go before I get crowned as "King Frog"!

I'm in North-East America...

We work during the week, but spend weekends outdoors usually:
    ~ frisbee/catch at the local park
    ~ swimming at the beach
    ~ hiking
    ~ camping
    ~ family BBQs/picnics

I like the summer because in the winter (unless you enjoy skiing) there isn't much to do outdoors, and it gets sooo cold!
    ~ Lauri

"What makes the engine go? Desire, desire, desire." Stanley Kunitz

And what were thou, and earth, and stars, and sea,
    If to the human mind’s imaginings
    Silence and solitude were vacancy?
    ~ Percy Bysshe Shelley

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha, I'm on the southern west coast. You would think all the people in california would spend their summers on the beach....catchin' the waves duuudde!!! (puke puke those television shows make me sick)

Nah, maybe they do, but I have yet to see a beach since the college semester ended. We usually have a bonfire at the beach...less of a chance of getting sun burned! But we barbeque a lot. I think most of us spend the time at the movies, mall, at a party, or somewhere cool (since us californians think it is soo dreadfully hot)

Goodness, I am being sarcastic today.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

I'm from north central US and one of the biggest summer...and winter for that matter...activities is fishing. I haven't gone fishing since I was a girl but the lakes and rivers here a full of boats looking for walleye. There's also the Medora Musical, easily the cheesiest thing ever. I have successfully avoided it the last couple of years but my luck has to run out soon. Medora is in the Badlands, which is one of my favorite summer destinations. We usually go to the North unit which is western ND, close to where I grew up while Medora is in the South unit. Both are beautiful and well worth the trip. And the highlight of my summer is the Little Shell Pow Wow. My family and I have been going to it since I can remember, I love the food, the dancing, the costumes and the sounds. It's going to be a big deal this year because there's been this State wide Lewis and Clark celebration the last couple of years and it all comes to an end in New Town on the weekend of the Pow Wow. I just hope it's not this hot then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast