Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have read The Da Vinci Code

If you have read The Da Vinci Code

Dan Brown tries to pass himself of as a historian and his fictionary novel The Da Vinci Code as more than just that, fiction.

It saddens me that so many people will read this novel and accept everything in it as truth just because the author claims to have done extensive research.

First off, the Priory of Sion is crap (see article by real researcher)
    http://www.anzwers.org/free/posdebunking/

This sums most of it up (be sure to click though all 4 pages)
    http://icq.beliefnet.com/story/135/story_13519_1.html

Didn't even research Da Vinci that well
    http://www.newagepointofinfinity.com/new_page_10.htm

Apparently ripped off someone else
    http://ideaworx.com/daughter-davinci.html

I will be interested in other peoples comments that have read this book

i am in the process of reading this book and as soon as i'm done i will offer my opinion...but from what i can see, it is all fake and according to actual historians of art (my boss being one) that this is entierly false

I will look for it
    As I say I i'm only fourteen

omg... I LOVED that book but is it really fake because one of the big networks recently did a documentary on it called "jesus mary and leonardo" (i think!)?? I thought the book was fab.... It would be sooo cool if it were all true.

da vinci code

Keep in mind that it is a fictitious novel. Dan Brown claims to have done extensive research, but if you carefully read the links I posted above, you will realize that he is pushing ideas that are false. And one more thing, the argument, "well it was on TV, it must be true," and "they could not have published it if it was not true," are very dangerous.

It's very seldom a best selling novel has got all the facts correct. I've always loved great conspiarcy theories though...

Ride the Wave of Life
    i agree, having only read Angels and Demons, and it reminds me of micheal Chrichton

no, the only true historical fiction author was Voctore Hugo. He did 3 years of research for The Hunchback of Notra Dame!

pura vida, the life of the Ninja!
    seeker

JOIN THE NINJA CLAN AND FIGHT THE PIRATES!

i liked the book very much however i liked it more because it got people talking about jesus, religion ect. With this modern world of ours we need dialogue, discussion and exchanges of ideas...make sense? I am sure much of it was inaccurate however it terms of "fiction" it was quite the page turner and i enjoyed reading about da vinci.

a tiny little place called Earth, my corner of the universe and beyond
    I'm in the process of finishing it and was dubious before and willing to look at the information and do the research myself seeing that it seemed fictitious (there's so many books out there that present an idea or a set of ideas that have some basis in reality but only about one or two percent and you take the story on belief and faith and say hey, sounds true so it must be) though i have to agree with soem others that its a really good page turner and great to read if your waiting somewhere.

I agree with hellodolly about dialogue, i personally believe that everyone should question there faith at least once and do their own research about what htey beleive in becuase either it will strengthen their beliefs or provide them with a whole new world and perception to look at (some of your links were odd... I wonder if there is an obvious credible source to believe, as a conspiritist (?) you can't say that a vatican issue on this would be completly wholeheartedly believed or that of the opposite... so technically this is one of those things that will be up in the air... however even if brown messed up on soem of leonardo's particulars may not mean that it does not exist... frequently I've been lead to believe that harry potter is real in the sence of magi and hog warts maybe not the kid himself..... :P )

PS I loved the harry potter comment in that book
    "It all comes down to what we make of ourselves, eh?"
    -The Fairy Godmother

"Sing on, poor souls! The night is short, and the morning will part you forever!"
    - Uncle Tom's Cabin

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    Ok, I know that this is an old-as-crap thread that no one really wants to talk about but keeps popping its head up anyway, but I've got somthin' to say!

This book was sloppy tripe! However, the research it was based on was increadible. Go read Holy Blood and the Holy Grail Right now!!! It's the book that finally let me give up my silly belief in Christianity. The whole crazy church conspiracy makes so much sense if you just think about it open-mindedly for a minute or two. It suggests that it wasn't Jesus' intention to start a new Christian church at all, but to reform Judaism, and that he was just a normal (if increadibly intellegent and charismatic), married, guy. It really makes alot of sense and if anyone has read it or knows of it, please please share your thoughts.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Well...im currently reading Holy Blood Holy Grail...and however interesting it all may seem...please keep an open mind to the possibility that this too may be false... You dont believe in a "Silly" (and i am only mocking) religion like Christianity because Christ was or was not married....or any of that other nonesense writers write...You believe because of that chasm in your stomach...the curiosity...the intrigue...and ill believe what i believe because i feel it , not because i read it somewhere in a book....Keep an open mind to all things while also keeping it closed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IWilKikU
    This book was sloppy tripe! However, the research it was based on was increadible. Go read Holy Blood and the Holy Grail Right now!!! It's the book that finally let me give up my silly belief in Christianity. The whole crazy church conspiracy makes so much sense if you just think about it open-mindedly for a minute or two.
    Personally, I don't really have problem with the teaching but I always have serious problems with the authority

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    There are alot of other posts on the board about the Church and its teachings and authority.

But Shalifi, get to know people before you judge them as close-minded. I've done ALOT of soul-searching and yada yada yada before coming to my current confusion, but meanwhile I was raised Seventh-Day Adventist, dabled in Catholisism, generic Protestantism, New Age type -isms, Islam, and Atheism, my mind is far from closed, its just made up... for the time being. Christ being married was just one of the examples of the case against his divinity and biblical authority made in Holy Blood. Forgive me for being so brief... and wearing briefs.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

i enjoyed the book, some facts where infact bent, but most of it was based on actual evidence! I have alittle more evidence that points to what da vinci is trying to say in his paintings...it is so obvious once you look!
    but i cannot say aloud. overall although dan doesnt have it 100% spot on, he does however have it almost...i'd say about 80% correct!
    rehtaf dnilb eht ediug.
    no iS yroirP.

Hi,
    Let me share my piece after reading "Holy Blood Holy Grail". There could had been a cohesion in religion had it not been that the new testament was "created". Some powerful group had invested their thoughts and influence on "beliefs". Thru unheared cruelty and blood shading they were successful in catapulting themselves into great power. By way of tradition, but under the watchful eyes, a great portion of the subjects just follow them without comprehension, without questions. Why are so many beliefs/religions/interpretations created becuase of the new testatments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast