Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music while reading?

Music and Literature

Hello, everyone. I ask merely a trivial question out of curiosity. Do you enjoy listening to music while reading? Why or why not? If yes, what kinds of music?

I can read either way, but often enjoy light background music - usually classical; something without lyrics seems best for me. Nothing feels better than curling up with my cats and reading a good book with coffee or tea while listening to Vivaldi, Chopin, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, or Grieg.

When I read(well,I must confess I hardly read novels) I don't really listen to music, once I read one I will focus on it naturally. However music always turns me on while I try to write something. Music is the god-given Muse to my writing.
    Nothing but nothingness

If I read and listen to music at the same time I'm going to end up just listening to the music. Once I tried instrumental instead of lyrical music, but I paid attention more to the music anyway.
    You're just another bastard.

U2aholic
    I almost always read while listening to the music, but I don't think there's much sense in it (for me anyway) cos when I listen to the music I like to pay attention to the lyrics. I usually listen to U2, R.E.M., ELO or TOTO.
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

2004.09.28 23;10(gmt+2)

As I do not own either a television or radio, it follows that whenever I read, it is in "silence." Once in a while I shall not mind lending an ear to Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, or Frank Sinatra. And no, it is not peculiar, as I neither attend the cinema, which allows me more time to read!

Prof.

Most of the times, I do, but after I read a few pages, I tend to lose myself in the reading and pay very little or no attention to the music. I listen to whichever CD is on the player, but I find jazz (particularly Miles Davis) to work perfectly well for this function.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

The Great Damn of Boston. JediFonger's Avatar
    i know this is gonna sound weird but i was listening to boyz ii men's II album & mariah carey music box album when i read star trek prime directive, federation (by the garfiends) and their shatner collaborations. strangely enough whenever i hear those same albums i always think of the stories and the feelings that those series of book invoke in me. =).
    to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I usually don't listen to music when I read as I end up concentrating on listening rather than reading but *sigh* if I am really enjoying what I am reading, I sometimes try to find a music in my head -I know it is all in my head - to go nicely with the story... Like in a film, kind of a sound track. Where does this leave me?

Can't listen to music, while reading. Just can't concentrate.
    Furthermore, I can't enjoy reading even if I'm not alone in my room

Quote Originally Posted by JediFonger
    i know this is gonna sound weird but i was listening to boyz ii men's II album & mariah carey music box album when i read star trek prime directive, federation (by the garfiends) and their shatner collaborations. strangely enough whenever i hear those same albums i always think of the stories and the feelings that those series of book invoke in me. =).
    Sheer terror?
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

'Can't listen to music, while reading. Just can't concentrate.
    Furthermore, I can't enjoy reading even if I'm not alone in my room'

Yes, I find I'm like this aswell. Although reading helps to shut everyone/everything out when I'm riding public transport or the like. I think the only time I'm not listening to music is when I'm reading.

'to go nicely with the story... Like in a film, kind of a sound track. Where does this leave me? '

hopefully not in the ninth symphony ;P
    'A philosopher of the Age of Reason defines madness'

Give me quiet or give me death.

Music is my silence
    'A philosopher of the Age of Reason defines madness'

Blog Entries
    your reply: what a treasure.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Try reading to these then:
    Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
    Einstürzende Neubauten - Silence Is Sexy
    Van Morrison - Hymns To The Silence

Me, I can hardly do anything without music. Some of my best reading experiences have been enhanced by finding just the right music to go along with it. Try reading "American Psycho" while blaring Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" or one of Sonic Youth's weirder records... and count yourself lucky if you make it out alive.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast