Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The worst main woman characters

Blog Entries
    Anyone for Milady in Three Musketeers??

It's hard to compare...but you may be right
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barazov
    No, not at all, I think Nora is great!!! You've got it wrong
    Yes, I suppose I do.

I also thought she was pretty cool.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Emma Bovary is definitely worse than at least Nora Helmer. I don't think she's very mean at all... Haven't read Anna Karenina, but I think Therese Raquin is even worse than mme Bovary. She actually kills people!
    To see the Summer Sky
    Is Poetry, though never in a Book it lie-
    True Poems flee-

I can`t say that Emma is the worst woman character, if her dreams would come true, I think she wasn`t so silly with her life, ignorant with her chikld and husband/ I rather feel sympathy to her.It is not her guilt that she wants to be better but can`t.
    What about Anna I don`t think she is bad at all, and the fact that she has a lover doesn`t make her worse/She loves him sinserely, she loves her son.
    I don`t know anything about Nora, but I feel? that the worst woman character, I met last was Rebecka Sharp, althrough she is rather charming.

I find nothing wrong in Anna Karenina's character; I believe Tolstoy did a great job in showing how Anna really had no choice about anything that happened in her life. If anything she was one of the most noble characters in that book.

Anyway, yes Emma Bovary pissed me off to all hell. Hm, and I'm reading The Portrait of a Lady right now by Henry James, and I don't seem to like any of the female characters besides the main character, Isabel. But then that doesn't count, since they aren't the main characters. I didn't like Daisy very much of the Great Gatsby, simply because she was selfish and egotistical, (stop reading if you haven't read the book) and allowed for Gatsby's ruin when she was the one who killed Myrtle.

The only one from the 3 original choices that I'm familar with is Anna and while she certainly has some issues, I do...I don't know if I would use the word 'like', but I do have a lot of sympathy for her. From the books that I've read, Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair is probably my least favorite female lead character. She is manipulative, shallow, cold and the her worst sin as far as I'm concerned is her complete indifference to her son, that above all else is unforgivable to me. Oh! I almost forgot...Irene from Forsyte Saga, I dislike her so intensely. Inspite of the fact that Soames was completely clueless and his actions towards her were clumsy, inept and at times, criminal I never had any sympathy for her, she was so cold and she made the decision to marry Soames even though she didn't love him and knew she never would and then did nothing but sulk and make everyone's life around her miserable because she was this poor, miserable wench who was tied to someone she depised. I often wondered if Galsworthy wanted us to like her, if he wanted her to be a heroine or if he knew just how unsympathetic she came off.

Quote Originally Posted by Idril
    The only one from the 3 original choices that I'm familar with is Anna and while she certainly has some issues, I do...I don't know if I would use the word 'like', but I do have a lot of sympathy for her. From the books that I've read, Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair is probably my least favorite female lead character. She is manipulative, shallow, cold and the her worst sin as far as I'm concerned is her complete indifference to her son, that above all else is unforgivable to me.
    Oh I forgot that I also disliked Becky Sharp immensely for the very same reasons you have mentioned. The only place where I found a soft corner for her was when she helped her friend (forgotten the name) during the war when George (or what was his name) was found dead.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive
    Oh I forgot that I also disliked Becky Sharp immensely for the very same reasons you have mentioned. The only place where I found a soft corner for her was when she helped her friend (forgotten the name) during the war when George (or what was his name) was found dead.
    And at the end, when she told her friend, Amelia (I had forgotten her name as well, I looked it up ) about what a jerk George really was so that she, Amelia, could move on and marry Dobbin, that was nice but it still doesn't make up for the litany of sins Becky had racked up up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Idril
    And at the end, when she told her friend, Amelia (I had forgotten her name as well, I looked it up ) about what a jerk George really was so that she, Amelia, could move on and marry Dobbin, that was nice but it still doesn't make up for the litany of sins Becky had racked up up to that point.
    *Agrees* Couldn't have put it better myself. Here is my short poem about Becky:

Becky was a nutter
    Who lived a a gutter
    Gutter of sins
    She deserved to be punished
    By any means

Really, along with my immense dislike for her, I finds her a very complex character sometimes.

Catherine, later Kate (East Of Eden) is one of the most self-centered and devil-like (don't deserve to be called human) characters I have ever come across.
    Last edited by Pensive; 06-26-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Lover of all things epic
    Hmm... hope I don't start a fight here....but I hated the elder Catherine in 'Wuthering Heights.' I just thought that she was self-centred and childish, and whilst you can attribute this to her social position, etc, I found her to be an irritating character and one with whom I had very little, if any, sympathy.

How about Fanny in Mansfield Park?

Lover of all things epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Danika_Valin
    How about Fanny in Mansfield Park?
    Good point. I found that novel SO difficult to read.
    "Haunt me, take any form. Only, do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12