Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pictures / Images How-to

Embedding/displaying images in post

I have uploaded a jpg photo to my website, and am attempting to display it in the body of a post. I see others successfully doing this.

PROBLEM SOLVED
    [-img-]http://toosmallforsupernova.org/Sitaram.jpg[/-img-]

Remove dashes to activate code.
    Last edited by Sitaram; 08-06-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hey! now is that you Sitaram?
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb

Yes.... I put it in that photo album thread.... thats me when I was young(er)... The photo on the wall is when I was 17
    Last edited by Sitaram; 08-13-2005 at 09:43 PM.

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Oh.....my.......GOD!!! The voice of religious reason now has a face!!! Yahoooo....

Hi! How did you do it? I have just bought a scanner, and I might try and post a picture. It looks so much better when you can show it embedded like that, instead of a seperate attachment.

Nice to see you!
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Isagel
    Hi! How did you do it? I have just bought a scanner, and I might try and post a picture. It looks so much better when you can show it embedded like that, instead of a seperate attachment.
    Here is how I did it:

Step 1: Get a photo of yourself. You can even purchase a disposable camera and have them developed as jpg images and emailed to you. Or, you can have a photo scanned. Or you can find someone with a digital camera to take your picture.

Step 2: You need to upload your photo to some website.

OR

Quote Originally Posted by RococoLocket
    Get a free account at photobucket.com & upload your photos there from your computer, it gives you the 3 different types of HTML code you will ever need right under every picture you upload so all you'll ever need to do is copy & paste the code to wherever you want.

Step 3: Take the following line of code:
    [-img-]http://toosmallforsupernova.org/Sitaram.jpg[/-img-]

3.a) paste it into a post in this forum,
    3.b) remove the dashes from -img- and /-img- (I must include these dashes to disable the BB code, so that it will be visible to you. Once I remove the dashes, this line of code is no longer displayed in the post, but is actually executed, and displays my photo.)

3.c) subsitute your website address for http://toosmallforsupernova.org
    3.d) substitute the file name of your uploaded jpg image for Sitaram.jpg
    Last edited by Sitaram; 08-12-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Put simply:
    1) you need the picture on the web and you need a link of the picture (if you don't have a site of your own and if you don't want to get your own photobucket account, I can play a storage room)
    2) put the link into [img] tags, ie [img]your link goes here[/img]
    I have a plan: attack!

Blog Entries

Smile Pictures / Images How-to

I noticed some folks have had some problems posting their personal pictures here. Without trying to be too presumptuous, I put some information together about that. (I copied most of it from another post I made )

Posting your images goes like this:
    Choose a free hosting site, such as photobucket: http://www.photobucket.com/
    They do require registration, but you can always give them an email you don't use, (they don't spam anyways) and you can organize all your pictures into albums by category. I like photobucket, they are easy to use. Imageshack and tinypic are two other sites that you can use that don't require registration.
    http://tinypic.com/

http://imageshack.us/

Upload your image to the host. If you use photobucket, they give you the necessary code to post in forums. Looks like this. (BTW,that is my Murray )

If you go with another host, they will give you an url for your picture. Copy the url (only the url part... looks like this ""http://myimagehostmypic.jpg"") and paste it into your post using the insert image button (it looks like a little picture of a mountain.) There you go, all set.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Blog Entries
    Very helpful, thanks Kathy, I'm sure many will appreciate this
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb

Darling Kathy:this is so nice of u

thanks

Yay! I for one know how to post pics, (got someone smart to explain it) but I really like screen prints!
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

Blog Entries
    heh, that is a good screenshot, or as we say in another forum site I visit "screenies" .

I hope folks find the information useful. The other thing about photobucket is you can transfer an image by url into your album. What that translates into is say you are doing an image search for kittens, you find a picture you like. You copy the location of the image ...the url... and then you use that option in photobucket. (no, I don't work for them, I just like the service )

This can be good if you are playing some of the image games in the forum, then you won't be hotlinking (a direct link to the image). Why is this good, you might ask? Hotlinking steals bandwidth from the website you link the image from. The people who have the website pay for a certain amount of bandwidth (the "traffic" that goes through a site) and if that goes over their quota they have to pay extra. Just a little more info.

Quote Originally Posted by miss tenderness
    Darling Kathy:this is so nice of u

thanks
    You are very welcome.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Blog Entries
    An additional bit of information for working with images
    I use this free program frequently to crop, resize and edit my photographs. I also use it to create my own avatars from images that I have resized.
    IrfanView image editor:
    Several languages for user interface
    Can convert images from one type to another, for example: bmp to jpg
    Can resize images without loss of quality.
    Plug in filters to add special effects

http://www.irfanview.com/

Picasa is a very good tool (also free) for editing photographs, and you can custom crop and add special effects.

http://picasa.google.com/

Another feature of image hosts such as photobucket is that they can generate several types of code for you, for example html if you want to use your image on a site such as myspace or if you have a website but don't wish to host your pictures there, or img code like you would use here at the litnet or another forum for posting images.
    Looks like this:

Another thing you can do is generate code for thumbnails (small pictures linked to the original large picture that show you the original when you click on it) This can come in handy if you have a large photo you want to share, but don't want it to take up a lot of space in your post. Clicking on the image opens up another page in your browser so you can view the picture.
    Example:
    Last edited by kathycf; 06-08-2006 at 01:38 AM.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Blog Entries
    photoshop is a nice tool if you like to spend money...or have no qualms about piracy...

heh, good idea for a tutorial though!

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    photoshop is a nice tool if you like to spend money...or have no qualms about piracy...

heh, good idea for a tutorial though!
    I never used photoshop,actually, although I have heard some good things about it. I guess I am too cheap to spend the money. Irfanview has a lot of other features besides those that I mentioned, and for my needs works well.( I am only an amateur photographer.)

Hmm, piracy? Doesn't that involve saying "arrh" a lot, and making people walk the plank?
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast