Page 63 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263646566676873 ... LastLast

Thread: Chekhov Short Story Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I haven't been doing very well over in the D.L. thread.
    Better than me--I hadn't posted a word in the Lawrence thread until yesterday.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Blog Entries
    Oh good, Quark, I will join in for certain. Timing is good. I like that story very much. I think we will discover more about it, as we discuss the various elements and imagery in the story. I thought it was well constructed. I will listen to the narration this week; probably a few times over.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Not quite, but, yes, a lot of it is here. Before the discussion starts, I'll post an introduction to the story and a link to the full text.
    Is this story text on this site, Quark? I can probably find it on Project Guttenberg. They seem to have everything. I will go and look right now. Great - looking forward to your introduction. Will you have a picture accompany it; you know how I like those illustrations!

Funny, but I probably wouldn't put that thing on my coffee table. Those Norton editions look so massive and studious. I would try to get something more accessible. The coffee book is great for discussion, though, since it's got so many stories and there's criticism right in the back on the stories.
    You mean the coffee-stained book? haha - that's not very big. You should see the books my father left me; those are massive and heavy to hold up to read, especially since I prefer to read in bed. Yes, that part of the 'coffee' book does have some good criticisms in it; I noticed that. Thanks again! Glad you spilled you Starbucks that day.

Just to clarify, I'll try to get the thread going again sometime next week. I might post an intro to the story this weekend and see what happens.
    Quark, I am looking forward to it so much. I actually missed Chekhov. I have been meaning to read his play "The Cherry Orchard". I was on a streak of reading plays, but now I switched to short stories. I was attempting to read all the Lawrence ones I have not yet read. I have read more than half by now, maybe 3/4's. He sure wrote a lot of stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Is this story text on this site, Quark?
    It is, but I want to read over a few different translations before I post a link to one. When Dark Muse and I read over "Sleepy" we noticed how different one translation was from another, and the different slant each can give to the story. My favorite translations had the line "that foe was the baby"--really, the climax of the story--as a separate paragraph, and I thought that made a big difference. Seeing that line alone draws attention to it, and makes it more chilling. When it's lumped in with the rest of the text, the story loses a lot of its shock. I assume that I'll find something similar when I read through different translations of "The Trousseau," so I'd like to find the best one before I tell everyone to go to a certain page. If you want a text to work with for the moment, though, there is one on the author page here on Lit Net.

Later, I'll post a link to the text when I introduce the story this weekend.

Will you have a picture accompany it; you know how I like those illustrations!
    I already have at least one, but the intro is going to be so long that I might use multiple.

Quark, I am looking forward to it so much. I actually missed Chekhov.
    Yeah, I've been wanting to get back to this for a while. Right now, I'm trying to educate myself a little more about Chekhov's biography and Russian history. For as much Russian Lit as I read you would think I would know more about the country and the writers, but I'm remarkably unaware.

I have been meaning to read his play "The Cherry Orchard". I was on a streak of reading plays, but now I switched to short stories.
    I think the short stories are his best, but I'd like to do a play eventually. Maybe we'll build up to that.

He sure wrote a lot of stories!
    Apparently. How long have you been reading Lawrence?

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Blog Entries
    It is, but I want to read over a few different translations before I post a link to one. When Dark Muse and I read over "Sleepy" we noticed how different one translation was from another, and the different slant each can give to the story. My favorite translations had the line "that foe was the baby"--really, the climax of the story--as a separate paragraph, and I thought that made a big difference. Seeing that line alone draws attention to it, and makes it more chilling. When it's lumped in with the rest of the text, the story loses a lot of its shock. I assume that I'll find something similar when I read through different translations of "The Trousseau," so I'd like to find the best one before I tell everyone to go to a certain page. If you want a text to work with for the moment, though, there is one on the author page here on Lit Net.
    Oh, good, that makes sense. We leave it up to your decretion then; in here, you are the leader. Whichever one you pick, we will be fine with that. Thanks for all your hard work, Quark!

Later, I'll post a link to the text when I introduce the story this weekend.
    Great!

I already have at least one, but the intro is going to be so long that I might use multiple.
    Truly? or are you just joking?...haha...don't give too much of the story away...

Yeah, I've been wanting to get back to this for a while. Right now, I'm trying to educate myself a little more about Chekhov's biography and Russian history. For as much Russian Lit as I read you would think I would know more about the country and the writers, but I'm remarkably unaware.
    Here I thought you were a regular Russian Lit expert! Well, good for you, studying more of the Russian history!

I think the short stories are his best, but I'd like to do a play eventually. Maybe we'll build up to that.
    Well, I didn't particular mean to discuss; I just have wanted to read it for ages. I bought a book of several Russian author's plays. I am anxious to read those soon. They are just from Dover, so I don't know how good the interpretation is. That's the thing with reading works other than our own native language. I never used to think about it before but since I joined on here, I feel I own a lot of inferior translations. Pity, cause I have a lot of classic books, many from my father. But then again, I am not that much of a purest.

Apparently. How long have you been reading Lawrence?
    Since about 1979, 80...seriously, I think that is when I discovered him. Were you even born yet? Someone told me about his books and I read "Women in Love" first. I loved the book and some of my short story paperbacks are from that era, too. I only discovered when I joined here, that they did not contain the entire collection of SS's; that's in the 3 volumes. Now I am checking off (in pencil) ones I've read, in that edition; since it lists all three volumes, even though it's only Volume III. Then, I read "The Rainbow", "Aaron's Rod", "Lady Chatterly's Lover", "Sons and Lovers", and mostly all of the novellas. Recently, I read "The White Peacock" (his first novel), "The Trespasser" (his second novel), "Kangaroo", "The Plumed Serpent", and his collaboration "The Boy in the Bush"; and I got into his biographies in the last 10 yrs. I have even read many of the novels and stories twice, thrice. Even though I feel, that I read a great deal of Lawrence, I know there is still a great deal more to read. The author was super prolithic! I have a book of his posthumous writings and many books of his critical analysis, and his letters, not to mention his philosophy books. I did read one of those. Did I mention all the films I own based on his work? You could say I have a full Lawrence collection by now, and I keep my eye out for more. I even have a book on the works of Lawrence on film. It's fascinating.

Blog Entries
    I have never read any of Chekhov. Which story are you planning to discuss soon here? Let me read it so that I can decide whether to join in or not. I have only one week before going back to a full load of work.

Do you know Wikipedia gives a very good description of Chekhov?
    I got this quote from the site: "Medicine is my lawful wife," he once said, "and literature is my mistress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chekhov

I think I will be a reader of your discussion since I haven't read any of his work besides I may not have time then anyway.
    Last edited by jinjang; 05-21-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Walk, meditate, forget - Victor Hugo
    Life is bigger than literature - Michael Cunningham

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinjang View Post
    I have never read any of Chekhov. Which story are you planning to discuss soon here? Let me read it so that I can decide whether to join in or not. I have only one week before going back to a full load of work.

Do you know Wikipedia gives a very good description of Chekhov?
    I got this quote from the site: "Medicine is my lawful wife," he once said, "and literature is my mistress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chekhov

I think I will be a reader of your discussion since I haven't read any of his work besides I may not have time then anyway.
    Hi Jinjang, I am on to you; you edited, didn't you? haha..I was in here reading your post earlier. It's up to you but at least you may be able to read the story and add something from time to time. The story, I am fairly certain, will be 'The Trousseu.' Not sure I spelled that correctly. Anyway, read Quark's post above. He explains he will post the text and direct us to the online text that is the best translation. I have this particular story on a set narrated by the actor Kenneth Branagh and it's wonderful. I loved the story. It's different, too. All of Chekhov's are that.

Today I picked up a book of Chekhov's stories. I've read the first two out of the following:

The Confession
    He Understood
    At Sea
    A Nincompoop
    Surgery
    Ninochka
    A Cure for Drinking
    The Jailer Jailed
    The Dance Pianist
    The Milksop
    Marriage in Ten or Fifteen Years
    In Spring
    Agafya
    The Kiss
    The Father
    In Exile
    Three Years
    The House with the Mansard
    Peasants
    The Darling

I very much enjoyed The Confession for its humor and dry wit.
    The salvation of the world is in man's suffering. - Faulkner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine
    Hi Jinjang, I am on to you; you edited, didn't you? haha..I was in here reading your post earlier.
    You caught me but I always edit. I do not think there is any posting of mine without editing.

After reading Chekhov's biography here and Wikipedia, I thought it best to observe your discussion first and I was tiptoeing away, hoping nobody has seen me here.
    Last edited by jinjang; 05-22-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    Walk, meditate, forget - Victor Hugo
    Life is bigger than literature - Michael Cunningham

Quark's Self-Congratulatory 1000th Post!

Now I'm only 5,802 behind Janine. Nonetheless, though, it feels good to reach quadruple digits.

I so do

Anyway, let me respond to some posts.
    Truly? or are you just joking?...haha...don't give too much of the story away...
    It is going to be a long intro. I might have to break it up into two posts.

Since about 1979, 80...seriously, I think that is when I discovered him. Were you even born yet?
    No, not quite. I don't think I discovered Lawrence until I was in my late teens--early 2000's.

The author was super prolithic!
    Apparently. Were you aware of this when you set out to read the entire Lawrence canon? I would think it would be a little daunting.

We're reading "The Trousseau" next week. It's only a few pages long, so it shouldn't be that difficult to read through.

Yeah, Chekhov's time was split between medicine and writing. He could have supported himself by writing alone, but he always felt a connection to medicine and science. Chekhov didn't see these pursuits as opposites, though, and what he learned from one profession he would use in another. Through his patients, Chekhov gained a wider knowledge of people, and through his scientific training he gained a respect for observation and honesty. He would later say in 1899 "I have no doubt that the study of medicine has had an important influence on my literary work; it has considerably enlarged the sphere of my observations ... Familiarity with the natural sciences and with scientific method has always kept me on my guard, and I have always tried where it was possible to be consistent with the facts of science, and where it was impossible." He wanted to tell "the absolute and honest truth" and not a fantasy about "only honest mayors, high-minded ladies, and virtuous railway contractors." Many of the people around him thought he should stop dividing his attention, but Chekhov thought that all his different pursuits were integral to the person he was.

That's understandable. It's best not to try too many things at once. If you get time later on, feel free to post something. I'm sure we'll do more than one story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hill View Post
    Today I picked up a book of Chekhov's stories. I've read the first two out of the following:

The Confession
    He Understood
    At Sea
    A Nincompoop
    Surgery
    Ninochka
    A Cure for Drinking
    The Jailer Jailed
    The Dance Pianist
    The Milksop
    Marriage in Ten or Fifteen Years
    In Spring
    Agafya
    The Kiss
    The Father
    In Exile
    Three Years
    The House with the Mansard
    Peasants
    The Darling

I very much enjoyed The Confession for its humor and dry wit.
    That's an odd list. There are some pretty obscure stories they threw in there. I don't know if I've even read "The Jailer Jailed" and "He Understood." I'll have to check them out. Were they some of his earlier, more humorous works? So far in the thread we've read a lot of the tragic stories, so it would be a good change of pace to read something a little more lighthearted.
    Last edited by Quark; 05-22-2009 at 03:07 PM.

They're very funny so far.
    The salvation of the world is in man's suffering. - Faulkner

Blog Entries
    Quark's Self-Congratulatory 1000th Post!
    That's great, Quark! Afterall, you have a job and I don't! 1000 post is to be very proud of. CONGRATULATIONS! Excuse me, for not quoting you above in 7 point size! I was laughing my fool head off. How could we miss your impressively 'large' post? Quark, you always go in for a grand dramatic effect!

Now I'm only 5,802 behind Janine. Nonetheless, though, it feels good to reach quadruple digits.[/SIZE]
    You will never catch up to me and Virgil! haha...hey, maybe we could celebrate my 6000, when I hit that landmark...doesn't look too far off. If we leave it to me, it will pass right by me, and I won't even take notice. You better remind me.

I so do

This was worth reposting! hahaha....I love it!

Anyway, let me respond to some posts.
    About time....Just kidding with you.....

It is going to be a long intro. I might have to break it up into two posts.
    Why is that? The actual story is so short. Does it involve a biographical background? I can't wait now to read your intro.

No, not quite. I don't think I discovered Lawrence until I was in my late teens--early 2000's.

Apparently. Were you aware of this when you set out to read the entire Lawrence canon? I would think it would be a little daunting.
    I don't remember if I was aware or not. I certainly didn't realise it in 1980; but when I get back to the author, a few years back, then I did realise there was a great deal of work out there. Believe me, it would take a lifetime to read it ALL. Also, I have picked up some great spin-off books with critical analysis of his works or exploring his life from different perspectives. I am always looking for more, can you believe that? I love discovering more to add to my collection; but some books are out of rage pricewise - check out Amazon and you will see what I mean. Some are truly rare. For instance, I got the first two books of the Cambridge series on his life. Now the third on "The Dying Game" is incredibly expensive. I suppose I will never get that one, unless I stumble across it at a fleamarket or yardsale - highly unlikely, but you never know.

We're reading "The Trousseau" next week. It's only a few pages long, so it shouldn't be that difficult to read through.
    I am really looking forward to that. I love the way Chekhov describes the house/the yard. It is like it is a character itself in the story.

Yeah, Chekhov's time was split between medicine and writing. He could have supported himself by writing alone, but he always felt a connection to medicine and science. Chekhov didn't see these pursuits as opposites, though, and what he learned from one profession he would use in another. Through his patients, Chekhov gained a wider knowledge of people, and through his scientific training he gained a respect for observation and honesty. He would later say in 1899 "I have no doubt that the study of medicine has had an important influence on my literary work; it has considerably enlarged the sphere of my observations ... Familiarity with the natural sciences and with scientific method has always kept me on my guard, and I have always tried where it was possible to be consistent with the facts of science, and where it was impossible." He wanted to tell "the absolute and honest truth" and not a fantasy about "only honest mayors, high-minded ladies, and virtuous railway contractors." Many of the people around him thought he should stop dividing his attention, but Chekhov thought that all his different pursuits were integral to the person he was.
    That's interesting, Quark, I didn't know all of this exactly. I like to hear anything biographical that will shed light on his writing; that goes for all authors.

That's understandable. It's best not to try too many things at once. If you get time later on, feel free to post something. I'm sure we'll do more than one story.

That's an odd list. There are some pretty obscure stories they threw in there. I don't know if I've even read "The Jailer Jailed" and "He Understood." I'll have to check them out. Were they some of his earlier, more humorous works? So far in the thread we've read a lot of the tragic stories, so it would be a good change of pace to read something a little more lighthearted.
    I know this is to Dr. Hill, but I was thinking the same thing. I guess this is not the book I own. I will see if I have any of these in my father's old book. These sound interesting. Would be nice to read lighter ones, too, just for a change from time to time.
    Last edited by Janine; 05-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    You caught me but I always edit. I do not think there is any posting of mine without editing.
    I am laughing because so do I, jinjang. I am a chronic editor on here. I have to have my posts 'just so'...guess it's the perfectionist in me, being an artist.

After reading Chekhov's biography here and Wikipedia, I thought it best to observe your discussion first and I was tiptoeing away, hoping nobody has seen me here.
    You can't get away without me noticing...tiptoeing, eh?
    Last edited by Janine; 05-25-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hill View Post
    They're very funny so far.
    I don't see them in any of the books I have, but I'm sure I could find them online somewhere.

You will never catch up to me and Virgil!
    Unless I pick up the pace, no, I probably won't. I'm okay with that, though. It's these people who joined last week and already have more posts than I do that make me feel inferior. Seriously, I think there are some who signed up a couple of months ago and have something like fifteen hundred posts! Twenty or thirty posts a day! How does that happen?

In any case, we'll have a party when this thread reaches 1000. It's so close. Maybe Virgil will give us a geode--or maybe even two geodes. No, now I'm getting greedy. I'd take just one geode.

haha...hey, maybe we could celebrate my 6000, when I hit that landmark...doesn't look too far off. If we leave it to me, it will pass right by me, and I won't even take notice. You better remind me.
    You mean 7000, right? You've already crossed 6000.

Why is that? The actual story is so short. Does it involve a biographical background? I can't wait now to read your intro.
    There is some background to this story, as the story has something to do with class. Really, though, I'd like to post a long intro to indicate the official start of the thread. Nothing says start like a long post with illustrations.

Also, I have picked up some great spin-off books with critical analysis of his works or exploring his life from different perspectives.
    I'd like to do something like that with Chekhov. As I read biographies, it's hard to separate what Chekhov was actually like from the mythology that the biographer is trying to create. Different perspectives would help.

One thing I already notice is how different from Lawrence Chekhov is. They really seem like opposites in a lot of ways. I'll talk more about this later.

Some are truly rare. For instance, I got the first two books of the Cambridge series on his life. Now the third on "The Dying Game" is incredibly expensive. I suppose I will never get that one, unless I stumble across it at a fleamarket or yardsale - highly unlikely, but you never know.
    Actually, I could procure this book for you if you wanted it. Having access to a university is a wonderful thing, and I believe mine has a copy of the book. Graduate students can check out books for over a year, too. If you want it, I could send it to you.

I am really looking forward to that. I love the way Chekhov describes the house/the yard. It is like it is a character itself in the story.
    The house is right at the start of the story so it's probably the first thing we'll talk about.

Okay, there's some delay.

I'm think we should wait a little until the L thread starts to wind down. It's a little difficult trying to do two discussion at once.