Thread: Long and Interesting Monologues Needed

Long and Interesting Monologues Needed

Hello! My friend needs to find an interesting and long (min. 200 words) monologue for her upcoming drama exam. I will be looking for some, but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    C

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Could you be more specific, please Ohlhauc1?

From any play/any period/any subject?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

She said it could be from any play or period, but she was looking at films and musicals. The instructor left it very open because I think he wants the class to find something of their own interest. My friend likes modern stuff as well as anything dealing with human rights.

Hello, ohlhauc1, welcome to the forum.
    If your friend likes more recent drama and plays, one of the first things comes to my mind lays in The Crucible by Arthur Miller. Abigail speaks the following quote from Act III, I believe:
    Why, you taught me goodness, therefore you are good.
    It were a fire you walked me through, and all my ignorance was burned away. It were a fire, John, we lay in Fire. and from that night no woman dare called me wicked anymore but I knew my answer. I use to weep for my sins when the wind lifted up my skirts; and blushed for shame when some old Rebecca called me loose. And you burned my ignorance away. as bare as some December tree I saw them all- walking like saints to church, running to feed the sick, and hypocrites in their hearts! And God gave me the strength to call them liars, and God made men listen to me, and by God I will scrub the world clean for the love of him! Oh, John, I will make you such a wife when the world is white again! You will be amazed to see me everyday, a light of heaven in your house, a-Why are you so cold?

Well, you could start with "To be or not to be..."
    "In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine."
    - Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown
    Well, you could start with "To be or not to be..."
    good suggestion, superunknown. although it might be a bit more challenging to deliver that one because it involves a lot of emotions, but hey, doesn't every outstanding piece?

try monologues from Hamlet. there are great ones in that play, those used in hamlet's soliloquies. but of course, nothing beats 'to be or not to be..'
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Check out Howard Zinn's play- Marx in Soho: A Play on History. It's a monologue.
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was taught in acting school never use Shakespeare monlouges 'cause the casting people will have heard them a thousand times before. I always like to use comedy monolouges especailly from Kids in the Hall Gay Steve has some of the best monolouges on tv
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Procrastinator
    There are a couple of really good monologues from the film script of 'Truly, Madly, Deeply'.

Snip a few parts out of Spalding Grey's long monologues. That's classic stuff.