Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What made you want to teach?

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries

What made you want to teach?

I know everyone's got different reasons for teaching...or at least everyone in my education classes do, teehee. What are your reasons for wanting to teach?

The first time I thought I wanted to be a teacher was in the second grade, when my teacher took me into the teacher's lounge during lunchtime and I saw all the teachers sitting around tables just like us students outside....lunchtime was my favorite time of the day back then, and I thought, "if my job let me still had a lunchtime like this, then I want to be a teacher!"

Of course, later on I realized that many jobs have lunch lounges...and I went through a lot of other ideas of what I wanted to be, architect, director, writer, copy editor, psychologist, and then I settled back towards teaching. I had been a tutor for my four younger siblings and took personal joy in helping friends understand scoolwork, it seemed that it was just something I was meant to do. My science teachers has always been some of my favorites, so I at first wanted to teach science. I held on tentatively to this idea until I got to college....

I hate lab classes. To major in science at the University of the Virgin Islands is to spend every Friday and Saturday morning from 9-12 for 4 years in a lab. I can't sit still for one hour let alone 3....I'm just too energetic for that. Plus Thursday and Friday nights are party nights on this island! I don't wanna have to be up at 9 the morning after a party! lol

But, since I'd always loved reading, and writing, and my 12th grade literature teacher had reformed my veiw of literature, and my writing instructor had revolutionized my writing, I decided to focus on an English major. I got offered a job at the Writing Center and it just further solidifies the fact that I like to help students understand and learn...I love to hear them go "ooooh" when they finally get something. It's wonderful...I started taking Education courses so that I can get certified to teach upon graduation, and I look forward to that year every day...

Used to be my mommy's tummy. But now i'm not so sure.
    I have only completed my first year of university but I am dead set on being a teacher. This was a fairly new revelation for me: I went to uni planning on having a good time and getting smart. But suddenly I realized (about four months ago) that I need a career if I want to get married. All my interests, both academic and otherwise, point me to a career teaching. I would love to teach in an elementary school but at thgis time in my life any teaching role interests me.
    My Dad was a teaching/principal for over 30 years. He loved it so much. He retired about 4 years ago and still has stories from the classroom.
    He also tells me that it was a very stressful job because of the stresses of peer pressure and personal "polotics" especially within the Catholic scool board (which is not really Catholic, only so by name: hence the stress).
    Any suggestions for me from vetren teachers or older students with similar goals??
    Irish poets, learn your trade!
    -Yeats

Obviously if ya' want to teach, you have to enjoy being around "youth," although since I now mainly teach Jr. College I encounter adults as well, and from many nationalities which makes it also very interesting. Lately I taught a Yemen-American, an Iranian-Afghanistanian-American, Vietnamese-American, Phillippino-Americans, two Bangladesh-Americans, both a Nigerian an a Liberian (not Americans yet), as well as recent Chinese-Americans, and several ex-Russian satelite and ex-Yugoslavian-Americans. Talk about your variety and lively class talk!

Back to teaching: the degree of spontaniety is so large that anything can happen. Also, you feel like you are assisting others in their life-goals and achievements. I've seen grown people cry when they have passed the Department tests that allows them to go on to the next advanced course.

If I had a current choice and was going to college for the BA and credentials, I'd advise looking into Elementary Ed, esp. for men who are much needed there (note, for instance, what Mr. "Sneebley" did for the class in "School of Rock" -- tremendous film). Not being certified there, I have only done plenty of substitute (which I'd urge you to experience if possible), but it can be a major delight' but you must bring much energy. Still, getting paid well for sitting in a rocking chair and reading a book about a caterpillar to 20 little listeners is my kind of job! On the other hand, I've seen it all and was once considered highly capable at breaking up fights.

Teaching is a "calling" and I'd urge folks to consider it; but, do homework first since some of the statistics you hear such as "We need 2,000,000 teacher in the next 5 years" is fabricated. Much of that is heresay, so be careful, it's no automatic job. Teachers.net provides some interesting background on the profession.
    Last edited by byquist; 05-30-2006 at 08:59 PM.

For a very long time, I desired to work as a teacher, particularly in literature and creative writing, but the science-geek part of me compelled my career choice to the medical profession.
    Currently, I tutor people in a few subjects, volunteering for my college, helping in writing, and, on the science side, human anatomy and physiology, microbiology, and organic chemistry, which have nearly erupted into full classes (to my great discomfort, while standing in front of up to 20 faces).
    I love the feeling of teaching, however, knowing that I have helped someone in their learning process, perhaps explained things better in a one-on-one situation to aide their understanding. I also love that bright look that erupts from some people, saying "oh, now I understand," not to mention the statistic that one learns more thoroughly up to 95% of what one teaches.

I just love kids. Their innocence & honesty is something that made me choose montessory teaching over middle school. I also conduct private tuitions for junior college literature students. I can proudly say that I have a capability to make things look less hard & this helps me to help those who find literature tough.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why we call it the present!

Thanks for the advice freinds ... I'm really ecited for teacher's trainging and career.
    -Yeats

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think I've always wanted to teach. I'm someone who just naturally starts telling people about things, passing along information and trying to find ways to help people understand concepts, and I find I always learn things when I teach others. When I was a kid my friends nicknamed me "the professor" (well, either that or "grandma," depending on how kind they were feeling ) because I was always lecturing. While I was on study abroad in college people volunteered to pay my entrances into museums and/or buy me drinks in exchange for my teaching them about the art in the Italian cities where we were staying (I would have gladly given tours for nothing, since it's a subject I love). I figured since this was something I loved to do and seemed to be doing all the time anyway, I might as well turn it into a profession. I've done some tutoring, but I get to actually start teaching in a classroom next year in the college as a part of my graduate program (mostly composition courses and a course assistantship in Shakespeare), and I'm incredibly excited. I would love to hear any tips from experienced teachers on the forum especially those who have taught at the college level, but really anyone who's taught English and has some words of wisdom.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Quote Originally Posted by Petrarch's Love
    I get to actually start teaching in a classroom next year in the college as a part of my graduate program (mostly composition courses and a course assistantship in Shakespeare), and I'm incredibly excited. I would love to hear any tips from experienced teachers on the forum especially those who have taught at the college level, but really anyone who's taught English and has some words of wisdom.
    You have a great story, and something to really look forward to -- way to go at getting the grad program position! I would suggest being yourself, but with high energy, asking questions a lot including about their lives, goals and interests as well as the content, and employing humor. Also, there are sources and educ. journals around, and summer educational meetings. Heinemann.com is a book publisher and take a look at Lucy Calkins and Randy Bomer. I had a workshop with Randy (U. of Texas but he was in NYC) and it was the best. They, and I assume others, give workshops at different locations. I also like the pleasant info at memoirwriters.com which shows how excited about a few million people are about writing. Also, selecting spunky essays for them gives a lift to the class -- like "Why I Want a Wife", "The Ways We Lie," and "How to Escape a Bad Date" (with/pictures). Also, xerox some of their good work and distribute it to the others (makes 'em feel really proud).
    Last edited by byquist; 05-30-2006 at 09:23 PM.

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the suggestions Byquist. I'll have to look up some of the sources you suggest. I might look up "How to Escape a Bad Date" for my own personal use. I'm really excited about teaching. I'll be studying for my doctoral oral exams at the same time, so I'm looking forward to having the teaching as more productive work where I can interact with people rather than being cooped up full time in the ivory tower.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

"Way back when," I was a young aunt with many nieces and nephews to entertain, and me playing teacher worked wonderfully for all of us. As time went on and life intervened, I needed to support a family... and teaching just wasn't in the picture.

But a few years ago, I had the opportunity to expand my credentials, and so I did. I think what really got me going was that after years of hearing my own children complain about how much they hated English and how boring it was, I (lit and writing lover that I was) was determined to do something to change the horrors of high school English. Whether I'll accomplish it or not remains to be seen. I'm a novice teacher -- I consider myself a female Don Quixote of sorts -- my quest is to make English something that will enlighten my students to what it means to be a human being (along with various curriculum necessities...of course).

I feel so fortunate that I can 'sample' teaching at several different levels; I teach both high school and community college students. I love it! And an anterior benefit is that I get plenty of fodder for the fiction I also love to write!

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishCanadian
    I have only completed my first year of university but I am dead set on being a teacher. This was a fairly new revelation for me: I went to uni planning on having a good time and getting smart. But suddenly I realized (about four months ago) that I need a career if I want to get married. All my interests, both academic and otherwise, point me to a career teaching. I would love to teach in an elementary school but at thgis time in my life any teaching role interests me.
    My Dad was a teaching/principal for over 30 years. He loved it so much. He retired about 4 years ago and still has stories from the classroom.
    He also tells me that it was a very stressful job because of the stresses of peer pressure and personal "polotics" especially within the Catholic scool board (which is not really Catholic, only so by name: hence the stress).
    Any suggestions for me from vetren teachers or older students with similar goals??
    maybe you could do an internship at a school during your holidays? over here, we have to do this as part of our studies (although we could use far more internships than we have to do).... or do some youthwork in your free time. I've done youthwork for a couple of years now and it's really helpful.. you gain a lot of experience with kids and build up a lot of confidence....

what made me want to teach? Those who can do, those who can't coach
    heheh, nope, dunno really.. it just seems natural.... back in school, my class mates used to ask me to explain stuff to them and they'd tell me how good i was at explaining stuff... dunno what makes them think that.. i mean, i don't have any sophisticated method of explaining stuff, i just seem to get it right intuitively, so....

Blog Entries
    Loving teaching profession is just like a mouth, hand, leg etc of my body, which I am initially created with. Sincerely, for me to say "WHY/HOW" this is so? It will be a little bit difficult-it's absolutely an ineffable experience within me. ok?
    So, I want to teach, be it in formal, religious or traditional teaching class.
    .........I thank God for that.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

A lot of my friends are going to university to become docctors, nurses, poloticians, engineers, and lawers.
    I sometimes feel like an odd one out as the aspiring teacher-student. Having said that, I'm so glad t see so that so many peopl that I respect on this forum are, or are headed for, the same goals as me. It is a noble profession! But at this point the main drive for me is a fun career that lets me comfortably raise a family. Not so much think ing of the $$ but more of the routine and time.
    -Yeats

Blog Entries
    Great, that is nice experience.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishCanadian
    A lot of my friends are going to university to become docctors, nurses, poloticians, engineers, and lawers.
    I sometimes feel like an odd one out as the aspiring teacher-student. Having said that, I'm so glad t see so that so many peopl that I respect on this forum are, or are headed for, the same goals as me. It is a noble profession! But at this point the main drive for me is a fun career that lets me comfortably raise a family. Not so much think ing of the $$ but more of the routine and time.
    I know exactly how you feel.

When I graduated from the private college-prep high school here in the Virgin Islands, all of my classmates scattered into the States to pursue careers as doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, businessmen and women, and even pilots. I, on the other hand, stayed on the island and attended our humble local college, which serves as community college, 4-year university, and graduate school. I stayed because I got a scholarship to attend there, and didn't have money to go anywhere else, and because I knew that I could get what I wanted at te University of the Virgin Islands...the knowledge and credentials to teach. A lot of my classmates have come back for the summer now after our second year oIut of high school, and they all look at me and say. "Shannon, you were one of the smartest kids in our class, why are you still at UVI?" and I tell them "because it was a smart choice for me." People all tell me that if I plan on teaching, I better not give up my waitressing job, but I'm not concerned about the money...and if it does turn out to be a huge problem, I'll open a tutoring service (really popular down here for the rich parents to get private tutoring for their kids).

But enoug jibber-jabber. It's okay to have been the geek of the class and not become Bill Gates....I have admired teachers from when I first started going to school, and I admire even more those whose career goal is to become a teacher (as opposed to it being a back-up plan). Hurrah for us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast