View Poll Results: What do you think happens after death?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • You either go to heaven or hell

    16 43.24%
  • You get reincarnated

    4 10.81%
  • You just die

    11 29.73%
  • I just don't know

    6 16.22%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56

Thread: Another life after death

  1. #1
    Zangetsu Gozeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NJ. Newark
    Posts
    82

    Cool Another life after death

    For those who beleive in ressurection:
    What do you imagine heaven will be like?
    How do you imagine hell will be like?


    For those who beleive in reincarnation:
    What do you think you would be after you die?
    What would you have to do in order to become something you want? (If it works that way)

    For those who beleive in "you just die":
    How do you feel about being never to live again? To be engulfed by darkeness to the very end.
    "Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age."
    Jeanne Moreau

  2. #2
    Registered User Themis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozeta
    For those who beleive in "you just die":
    How do you feel about being never to live again? To be engulfed by darkeness to the very end.
    Actually, I thought about just that this afternoon and here's the conclusion I reached:
    If I die, I'll probably close my eyes or someone else will do it for me. So what I'm going to look at last, will be my eye lids. There goes darkness and I find myself in the situation of being "engulfed by darkness". BUT I am dead. My body ceases to function, I've got no brain activity anymore and thus, I won't think or feel anymore. So hopefully, I won't be in the situation of feeling something about my being-dead.

    Then again, that's probably not a very good answer, so I'm going to try it once more and imagine what I would feel.
    I'd be probably very scared, no matter whether I'd have lived a long, fulfilled life or a life where I had been looking for the "rewind" button for the last few years. And I am sure I would regret a thousand things that I hadn't done or had wished I had not done. Of course, I would also regret that I couldn't bring myself to believe in "heaven or hell" without question and I would wonder what the real end after the end could bring.
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

  3. #3
    Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,674
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozeta
    How do you feel about being never to live again? To be engulfed by darkeness to the very end.
    The concept of darkness is not the same as nothingness--it is only humans who believe it so. Besides, why "engulfed"? Why not "enveloped" or "cushioned"?

    Of course, what it feels like wouldn't really matter if you couldn't feel, anyway, right?
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

  4. #4
    loquacious cat mrawr
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis
    My body ceases to function, I've got no brain activity anymore
    I think that pretty much sums up being dead.

  5. #5
    Registered User Shield&Sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Paradise i built inside me.
    Posts
    273
    For me saying I is not a referment to my body.
    If i loose my hand i wont say "I without hand" in every time i want to refer to my self, same thing if i loose hair, legs or any other part i will always feel COMPLETE I. so who is I?: my brain? my heart?. all get a headache and they say my head hurt me (to whom we relaite our minds?), they dont say I hurt Me (not logic), or only "I hurt". Same thing about heart. So to whom is relaited brain and all other parts that i say "they are mine but not me, i own them".
    If i loose my legs i will feel always complete, so and loosing part one by one, untle death i will remain I. For me this I is my soul, and this body is relaited to my soul.
    There is something all can try, but it need immagination:
    Close your eyes and immagine that you lost all sense, that you lost every thing that comunicate you with the world, no noise, you cant hear, no taste, no skin feelings, no smell. You wont feel your body you will feel YOUR SELF, for me this my self is my soul that with this body or without it it will remain complete and it will be the real I.


    Hope my idea is clear. only wanted to share my opinion about death matter and how body will die, but WE wont.

    About the other life, i prefer to work and to prepair my self, because for me this world didnt come from nothing, and i believe In one God who created all this and that He showed us the right thing that we must do, and He gave us brain and logic that using them will guide us to right path, not emotions.
    And the smart one who use this mind, so i wont say i will wait untle i die to see if all what said is true, because will be late and will be stupid, and now its my opportunity to sit alone and think in all this universe deep thought, and ask God guideness. the thing that make me sure from the other life is that I WILL DIE, every door lead to another place, there is no door built in air.

  6. #6
    Registered User Themis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield&Sword
    There is something all can try, but it need immagination:
    Close your eyes and immagine that you lost all sense, that you lost every thing that comunicate you with the world, no noise, you cant hear, no taste, no skin feelings, no smell. You wont feel your body you will feel YOUR SELF, for me this my self is my soul that with this body or without it it will remain complete and it will be the real I.
    If I try that, then I feel nothing. Because there isn't anything to feel if all is lost.
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

  7. #7
    Registered User Shield&Sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Paradise i built inside me.
    Posts
    273
    you will feel nothing, but you will EXIST. The term "I" will remain, and the one who say "I" will remain. I meant that if you dont feel your body you wont just vanish, you will remain complete, the thing that only you will feel it (feeling your self, your existence) will be your soul, not your body.

    If we see only this world arround us, it doesnt mean that there isnot another word.
    For example the 5 senses are the doors of the body to comunicate with world arround us. The things that a person see are not the real things, but are the eletric current that pass in nervs untle it reach brian, and brain trnslate these signs and we see a little image of the real image that our eyes saw. Now we are in desert, lets immagine that we took of eyes of person and we comunicated the nerves of eyes with wires that work like nerves and we comunicate these wires with a computer. Then we put a program that work as eye and transfair signs through wires untle nerves and nerves pass them to brain. If we put in pc a movie of a snow area and we put voice of this area and put arround him cold air, the person will get signs of image of snow, and the brain will SEE snow, it wont see the desert, and the person will feel completely in cold area and will see him self in cold area, he saw what his senses got, he couldnt see the desert, but it doesnt mean that desert doesnt exist. hope the example is clear
    We in this world SEE WHAT OUR SENSES GET, but it doesnt mean that there is not another things, because all we get is according to capacity of our senses. Bees see roses in more beutifull colors, because they see light we cant see, same thing dogs which hear voices that we cant hear, so and machines that we invented can feel things we cant feel, it depend on senses. There are things that senses that God gave to humans and animals cant feel them, but they exist.
    One day we will see what we couldnt see.

  8. #8
    Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,674
    Blog Entries
    26
    The question I think Themis is trying to pose is, what is there to "feel" is one can no longer sense? Does the soul remember? Does it feel? Or does it have an awareness beyond the input it received in life?
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

  9. #9
    Registered User Shield&Sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Paradise i built inside me.
    Posts
    273
    What i mean is if YOUR body cant feel it doesnt mean YOU vanish, what i meants is if WE disconnect from this world because of OUR senses it doesnt mean WE vanish, because the one who wont exist is "YOUR BODY" not "YOU". The one who say "I" will remain, perhaps it wont be able to say "I HAVE" because the things he have can be felt only by his body, he wont be able to say "MY EARS" because he doesnt feel them and he cant hear, so and for all other parts, but he will be able to say "I" and to feel his own existence. When we say my body we admit there are 2 things, 1:the body; 2:the one who own the body.

    The brain is the one which remember, YOUR brain remamber. When i say YOUR BRAIN, for whom i relaited brain? to the other parts of the body? does the other parts own your brain? or your brain own your other parts? or YOU own All them?

    The body is OUR machine to comunicate with world arround us, WE use OUR body, WE order OUR BRAIN to remember.

    Its like when you are sleeping, YOU cant feel YOUR body, but YOU EXIST, you see dreems, YOU DONT VANISH. When i say YOU i mean your soul, when i say YOUR i mean things your soul own. the real one, the one that cant be devided like parts of body, the complete one.
    When we say does it feel? what we mean? to feel taste of cakes? in this case we need tongue to feel this type of info, if we mean by feeling the outside world then body is needed because its the door, because its the window between soul and world. When i meant feel your soul, i meant your feeling of existence, your feeling as an absolute thing that it existence is not relaited to the existence of other things. For example we know that our legs exist because there are things exist arround as and by touching them with our legs we know that our legs exist, and by touching them by hands, and by seeing them. Now Immagine that you cant feel your legs and you cant see and you cant touch them but they exist, YOU wont FEEL THE EXISTENCE of your legs, and if we cut them or leave them it wont change any thing, so the existence of your legs is relatied to the existence of other things, like touching. But if all your body you cant feel it YOU will be DiSCONECCTED with the out side world, but YOU WILL EXIST, because its YOU, its the real YOU the one that exist and can say "I". And it's existence only YOU can be sure of it no one else can. You wont vanish. Immagine that you cant feel anything, then you hear voice, will you exist again and when the voice stop you will vanish again?
    The real thing that you will feel is that YOU could communicate with other thing arround you, you found a window to look through it, and you wont feel that you came from nothing, because YOU already exist.

  10. #10
    Registered User Themis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield&Sword
    Its like when you are sleeping, YOU cant feel YOUR body, but YOU EXIST, you see dreems, YOU DONT VANISH. When i say YOU i mean your soul, when i say YOUR i mean things your soul own. the real one, the one that cant be devided like parts of body, the complete one. […]But if all your body you cant feel it YOU will be DiSCONECCTED with the out side world, but YOU WILL EXIST, because its YOU, its the real YOU the one that exist and can say "I". And it's existence only YOU can be sure of it no one else can. You wont vanish. Immagine that you cant feel anything, then you hear voice, will you exist again and when the voice stop you will vanish again?
    The real thing that you will feel is that YOU could communicate with other thing arround you, you found a window to look through it, and you wont feel that you came from nothing, because YOU already exist.
    The thing about all this is: I can imagine all I want but I won't really be dead. I am alive when I try imaging not feeling anything. And I feel. And I think. Because my body functions, because I live.

    And contrary to you, I believe that to feel anything I've got to have something going on in my brain. There's got to be activity. Because there is while I'm thinking about this. If there isn't anything working in my body, then I am dead. And then, I will not think, feel or acknowledge myself. Because I won't have the "power" to do it.

    @Robin: You summed up what I was trying to say quite nicely, think you can do it again?
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

  11. #11
    Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,674
    Blog Entries
    26
    I'll try .

    How can the brain (actually, the mind -- the brain decomposes, too. Just ask your mummy) exist after the senses vanish if its contents are the products of what the senses put into it?
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

  12. #12
    closed Bysshe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    276
    I don't know what happens exactly after death, but I do believe in reincarnation. I think that there are some things that can only be explained by reincarnation - I can't think of any particular examples to prove that, but there are little things.

    I think I must be a reincarnated form of someone alive in the 70's. There's no other way to explain my strange obessions with old bands. I'm completely obsessive when it comes to The Damned, and there's no obvious reason for it. I'm convinced I was a Damned fan in a previous life.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,564
    As with everything, and I feel to frequently repeat myself on this area of the forum, I remain highly skeptic regarding any existence of afterlife.
    If I adhered to anything the closest, to put it bluntly, I do not believe in heaven, hell, or purgatory, but place great question into Buddhist reincarnation and karma, and Pythagoras' concept of the "transmigration of souls." Also related to Buddhism, I also place great amounts of thought into merely descending into nothingness, but I, of course, cannot feel myself entirely believing in any philosophy or belief system.

  14. #14
    What once was lost... rufioag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    108
    I believe in Heaven and Hell for Several reasons and question the idea of reincarnation. Reincarnation is a strange idea to me and It doesnt explain the concept of the first. How was the soul created and by whom? As for Heaven and Hell and the existence fo God, It all makes sense to me. Where did the universe come from and how did it come into existence? If something exists, there must be a creator. Therefore, since the Universe exists, there is a creator of the Universe. God, was not created and has no creator, He is Eternal. This is why I beleive in Heaven and Hell because the existence of God explains, even if we do not fully understand that explanation, the reality of a life after death.
    No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.

  15. #15
    Registered User Themis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    @Robin: Very well done.

    Quote Originally Posted by rufioag
    Where did the universe come from and how did it come into existence? If something exists, there must be a creator. Therefore, since the Universe exists, there is a creator of the Universe.
    […]
    God, was not created and has no creator, He is Eternal. This is why I beleive in Heaven and Hell because the existence of God explains, even if we do not fully understand that explanation, the reality of a life after death.

    Aren't these two statements contradictory?

    First, you say that nothing can exist without having been created some time. Then you say that God was not created and is eternal. But how can this be when you just said that it's not possible for something to have always existed without there being a time when it hasn't? (Something for Robin to explain again? )
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No Subject
    By Unregistered in forum The Voyage of the Beagle
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
  2. Were Romeo and Juliet's actions justified?
    By Kassie in forum Romeo and Juliet
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
  3. Is There Life After Death?
    By Pendragon in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:44 AM
  4. Toast shouts
    By Fango in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
  5. Muslims Thoughts about Death
    By Bittersweet in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •