Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: names...

This is what my last name means, which I just looked up, having no idea before. Funny.

"a topographic surname of French origin, for someone who lived in a valley"

I think my first name means "God remembered me" or something.

My screen name comes from a longstanding nickname I've had, with "man" added for dignity's sake. I just randomly left the first vowel out, can't say why. It confuses people though, so I like it.

Blog Entries
    and one of the reason's why I cherish you, dear chmpman, flout the ordinary!
    Last edited by Riesa; 05-29-2006 at 12:02 PM.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Quote Originally Posted by Riesa
    My given name is something of the ethereal
    Is it Celeste? Or Ghosta?
    Last edited by Mililalil XXIV; 05-27-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mililalil XXIV
    Is it Celeste?
    Nope. good guess though.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

I am named after a semi-precious stone. The chinese carve out of it. Oh, and it is a green stone by the way. I don't think I want to tell you what my name is just yet, so guess & I'll tell you if you are correct!

THINGAMAJIG is NOT aloud to guess!!!!!!!!!!

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned...

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Robin," "Ollie," and "Connor" are names I always thought would be cool to have (ask Pendragon why).
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

And indeed I do know why, and might suggest the last name "Archer."

My first and middle names both come from Middle English and basically mean "of or from the valley." I prefer to be called by one of my pseudonyms, my friends here usually call me "Blade", "Jonathan Blade" was a dark Jedi character I was developing (with his sidekick, a very large [think liger sized] telepathic cat named Dyane with fur that allows her to almost disappear in daylight.) I was "Raven" to others, and still am to people who read my book reviews on amazon.com. Raven Darkendale, a half-eleven fantasy character.
    Here I am Pen. David Pendragon, Lost son of Camelot. I was Spiritwalker on the Appalachian Trail. He became Askuwheteau, my Algonquin Shape shifter. Tobias Kirkwood, a ghostly Confederate soldier. John Michael Carmichael, a super-smart midget. Mason Barnabas Rawhide, a gentle giant African-American Doctor. Aaron Pathfinder, Cheyenne tracker. Victor [Vic] Noir, French Secret Agent. Lucio Manuel Rafáel Diego Léon , Old California descendant of Zorro. Kai’ Yoshima , Ninja Shadow Warrior. Lord Kestrel, a British Vampire. Absalom Kane, descendant of the Puritan with a Mission, Solomon Kane. Delta Vector, (What? I can't think up a female pseudonym?) Delta is a Starship Navigator. Mortimer Graves, a Psychic Detective.
    What's in a name? I am still me...
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhimsySA
    I am named after a semi-precious stone. The chinese carve out of it. Oh, and it is a green stone by the way. I don't think I want to tell you what my name is just yet, so guess & I'll tell you if you are correct!

THINGAMAJIG is NOT aloud to guess!!!!!!!!!!
    My guess is Jade.

Actually jade or jadeite comes in many colors, but the most well known is green. (/me has two jade pendants and is an amateur gemologist...)
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

yea it's probably jade but emerald is another green semi-precious stone that is a name but i don't really think the chinese use it
    Last edited by blondeatheart; 05-28-2006 at 04:04 AM.

£єŧ§ đαñ¢€ ϊη ŠţγłЄ ₤εŧš Đāŋċ€ ƒбя ã ẅнîℓ€

Wow, you guys are good (maby I gave a few too many clues). So, hi guys my name is in fact Jade. I said all I know about it in my first post so if anyone wants they can read that. I haven't really bothered to research my name so what I know is what people have told me.

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned...

My real name is Alexandra, which comes from the Greek "Defender of Men" .

And my screen name, Bysshe, is a referrence to Percy Bysshe Shelley, of course.

My real name is Lisa and there's no significance to it, my parents just liked it. They were going to name me Sina, after my great grandmother but decided at the last minute that it was too different and I wouldn't like it so they picked a name that was so common, about every other girl that was born from 1966 to 1976 was named the same thing. When I went to college, the first year they had these, "communication groups", groups of other freshmen that would get together and...do what, I don't know, I guess they thought it would help ease you into campus life or something but in my group, there were 5 girls, 4 of us were named Lisa and 3 of those were Lisa Maries. I think I would've preferred Sina. I did go through a period when I was a kid when I was quite convinced my real name was Elizabeth because I had read in a name book that Lisa was a derivitive of Elizabeth so I would sign everything Elizabeth, it drove my mom nuts.

My last name, maiden name, means rocky hillside or something like that in Norwegian, it was the description of the area where the family farm was.

As for my screen name, I've mention my reasons for picking it in other threads. Idril is a character from The Silmarillion and the reason why I picked it is because she's known for having pretty feet and so do I.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

My first name Rachel is Hebrew of course meaning-little lamb, a ewe, one with purity.
    my second Lee is from old english, gaelic and chinese meaning in that order-glade,poet, plum
    my last name is the name of the King of Jerusalem in the time of the crusades.

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    My first name translates by "powerful sorceress", but last summer while enjoying my holidays in the Mediterranean, I found out that it is also an Italian cheese label .
    My last name is actually the profession one of my ancestors must have carried out once upon a time - a wainwright.
    As to my screen name, it simply is my favourite 'dish'! As I'm concious of becoming gradually addicted to it, I thought I might as well let it be part of my online identity!
    Last edited by Schokokeks; 05-28-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Blog Entries
    I think I forgot to say what my names meant.

The first means "Star", the second's Mary and has quite a few meaning, none of which I can recall now. (Though behindthename.com has an idea there "The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". ") and my third name means "assumption". And with all that, one could think I'm Italian.

@Schokokeks: I deciphered your last name, hah, no such luck with your first name though...More precisely, the solutions I got don't sound too likely. Or is your name, in fact, Ceridwen? Or Irmgard? But then,' Irmgard' doesn't sound like a cheese label.
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast