Thread: Colours

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Colours

Hi, I’m Ryan McLean. My psychiatrist, Dr. Mondigs, said the best way to recover is through acknowledgement and then acceptance. He asked me to write out in detail what it was that lead me to this place, Manhattan Psychiatric Centre. It all started one late May morning.
    I woke up with my scar burning. The pain above my right eye was vigilant in its reminder of maturity. I rolled over in my bed which was clad in a lavender tone. I grab the tin of balm that lay beside my red numbered alarm clock, which stood out against its deep, majestic, blue back drop, that of course was the walls of my bedroom. I pop off the top of the tin. The sound that resonated brings me back to the hospital room seven years ago. I remember my father yelling hysterically at the doctor, as he told my father that I may never see again.
    Earlier that night I was at a bush party, I was twenty-three at the time. I remember the fire was hot. I had been drinking Ice as if it were going out of business and my head was swimming. I was bored and watching my friends dicking around with a football. I decided I would join them. When I stood up I lost my balance and landed face first into the fire.
    I remember very little of being in the fire but I do remember being rushed to St. Marie’s Hospital, with second degree burns all over my face. It all healed though, except the scar above my right eye. That scar still brings me pain to this day. It is always there to remind me that irresponsibility is always punished. You’re not to always remain a child. I am now thirty and by some miracle I can talk and I can breathe, yet I no longer drink… lesson learnt. That boy died in the fire.
    “Honey, it’s seven-thirty, you better get up,” as I’m snapped back to reality. My wife Hilary must’ve gotten up by now. I slapped the balm on my memory and stuck my tin back beside my clock. I jumped up and went into the bathroom (which was connected to my bedroom), and jump into the shower. When I got out, I put on an Egyptian silk shirt and my hand-made Oxxford suit worth $5,600. Today was going to be a very important day, I needed to be in my best.
    I walked out of my room, at the end of a long hallway. On the left was one guest room and Hilary’s room; she doesn’t sleep with me because I moan while I’m dreaming. On the right are the bedrooms of my seven-year-old son Alexander and the other my five-year-old daughter Cleo. Neither have seen their bedrooms. They live with their mother, Heather, in Toronto. I haven’t seen them since I moved out to New York six-and-a-half years ago. I got to the spiral-staircase I had installed when I first moved into this house. All men of social standing must have a spiral-staircase.
    As I walked into the kitchen, I saw my Mexican maid, Isabelle, making me my eggs and sausages. She was in her late twenties and had her thin figure bent over the stainless steel stove scraping my finished food onto my plate. She turned hundred and eighty degrees and placed the plate on the stainless-steal counter top island, which had four stools standing opposite of Isabelle. I sat on one of them and swivelled myself to look out the bay window; it consumed much of the wall left of the stove. I stared at the yellow tulips of my insufferable neighbour’s, the Macintoshes, garden.
    Mr. Macintosh was a pudgy, short, bald, car salesman for Jaguar. Constant in his useless information fetish: “Did you know that that my S-Type 4.0 is the safest car on the road,” pointing out his British Racing Green Jag that sat in his garage. “Oh it’s a pity you got that Mercedese-Benz SLK 280. Waste of money those MBs. All they have is that ‘anti-theft’ garbage,” doing those annoying air quotes with his fingers. “But you’re done for if you even touch a barrier doing a hundred mph.” He was always slightly peeved that I, his neighbour, would never buy from him. I tried to explain to him my clients trust a man in a Benz more than a Jag, but he always concluded, “Bet it’s ugly in green,” and walked away, but if you thought he was bad, you should meet his wife.
    Mrs. Macintosh was the neighbourhood busy-body. She was skinny, short and had these awkward looking glasses that seemed permanently glued to her front bay window. Every time I’d step outside, I’d feel her eyes. As soon as the Macintosh’s house was in sight, you were acting, putting on a show. If I lost a leg while mowing the lawn, I would not make a sound, for every word I would speak, Mrs. M would use it against me in the Home Owner’s Committee meeting that weekend.
    I finished my food and began to walk for the door. As I was about to leave, Hilary tapped me on my shoulder. “Gonna leave without saying goodbye?”
    Hilary was my second wife. She was not the trophy wife a man in my position would usually get, but don’t get me wrong, she was beautiful. She was 5’10”, blonde and had that hour-glass-figure that all the girls (on my computer), had when I was a kid. The reason she was different than most of my college’s wives was that she was able to think. She was brilliant. A Former Rhode’s Scholar, she went to Oxford to get her doctorate for Ancient History. She is now, at the age of twenty-nine, the youngest professor ever to teach at NYU.
    “Don’t forget Heather is phoning you at three today,” she said as she handed me my brief case, and put on her coat. “Remember that it’s Alexander’s birthday in two weeks.. And you want to see him,” she gave a very intimidating glare. I reassured her I knew when Heather was going to call my office, and yes I will remember to ask if Alexander and Cleo would like to come out and visit.
    She walked out the door. She had wanted to meet my children. She adored the idea that one day these little guys may read about her in a similar class to the ones she taught. But the problem was, I did not adore the idea of being visited by anybody that I left behind. I wished instead to live my new life here. What Hillary never new was that I severed myself from my former family very abruptly and very coldly.
    It was the summer after I had graduated university and I was working at a local bank, managing some small accounts and stock portfolios. I hated my job, but I needed it. Heather and I were just married and she wanted to go to med school, I had to payoff my loans, and we also had the bother of feeding Alexander as well, not to mention that Cleo was on her way. I was working long extreme hours, still my accounts we in the red.
    One day I in my office and a man in a fine black suit came in and introduced himself to me a James. He told me he was part of an investment advisors group that was just beginning to get off the ground and said he’d love to employ me as one of the executive advisors to multi-million dollar accounts. I immediately told him to leave. He laughed at this, “Ah, yes when life throws you a couple curve balls one tends to become a sceptic I understand. But what you need to know is that I have been scouting you since your sophomore year at Western. You have been top in all your classes since you showed up there and let’s face it Westerns no picnic.”
    “What are you willing to pay?” I asked.
    “Well, we’ll pay for your Harvard Degree in economics and during that time you will work as a junior adviser to our smaller accounts. At first you’ll be making about ninety-thousand American with a promise of a raise when you finish Harvard of well over two-hundred grand a year.”
    “Why do I have to go to Harvard?” I remember asking and James retorted about how Harvard is just an image. You go to Harvard for the sake of going to Harvard. There education is very similar to any other major schools, but Harvard is a brand-name, clients recognize and respect it. He left me his business card and told me to think about it.
    When I approached Heather with the job opportunity she at first was quite ecstatic with the idea, but then reality hit her, in my opinion all too quickly. “But doesn’t this mean you’re gonna have to move to New York?” she ask almost with dread it seemed.
    “Yes, but I can easily pay for everything.” I retorted but this bought me no favour.
    “I cannot raise our children alone,” she yelled at me, I remember our neighbours in the apartment complex we lived in always banged on our walls when she yelled at me. “I have to go to school you know?”
    “Of course I know! Why do you think I spend fourteen hours a day in my personal Hell, for the excitement of turning a twenty dollar a hour profit ?”
    I remember the look she gave me. This look is how Heather always reappeared to me when I try to recall her features. She brown shoulder length hair had these tiny curls streaming down each strand. She gave me this glare through her brown eyes, that were placed in a very noble looking Anglo-Saxon bone structure. Her big lips puckered to give me the impression that she was contemplating the floral arrangements at my funeral. She stood there with her glare and said, “I will not raise our children by myself.”
    I decided to retort in a very sarcastic manner, “I will not sacrifice the best opportunity of my live, for dreams I do not share.”
    Last edited by rabid reader; 05-24-2006 at 03:20 AM.
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Blog Entries
    To save you the gory details the conversation degenerated from there. At the end of the night I was living with my dad, and at the end of the summer I was attending Harvard, which is where I meet Hillary who was finishing up her masters and in the process of completing her Rhode’s Scholarship trails. We hit it off very well, and we courting until she had to leave in which we took a brake.
    She helped me through the time of my messy divorce with Heather. I was forced to pay ridiculous alimony and child support that put Heather through med school. In a fit of anger during a court preceding I said something about how the children in my life were nothing but an unwelcome burden and would be a hindrance to me. If I remember correctly this was in response to the amount of child support I was suppose to pay.
    I haven’t talked to either my kids or Heather for four years (since the divorce was final). Hillary never found out about what happened at the trail, because I never told her. This is why she makes it seem so easy to just have a regular conversation with them, like we have no history. She made a phone call a few days ago to Heather and asked her to phone since I would probably, “forget.” Hillary said Heather seemed delighted that I wanted some part in the kids lives, as if forgiveness came so easily to her. I guess it is very silly to let a misunderstanding of really to children that took place four-years-ago should probably not get to out of hand.
    I was brought back to the present by the honking of Hillary driving away and waving good-bye, so I decided to leave as well. I began to drive to work, anxious to get there. I worked at the Corporate Xaiminar Network as a blogger, but I also am a stock analyst and advisor for our multi-million dollar clients. The branch I work in, Analysis and Sales, recently lost the Vice President Jim Niles. He quit, for reasons nobody knows. The president says he wants to promote from within to replace Niles, and he has asked for a meeting today… the prospect of this meeting was just making my hands sweat.
    As I arrived in Manhattan, I parked my car five blocks away from my work and stopped off at the local Starbucks. When I picked up my large grande skimmed milk French decafe latte, I walked to that massive concrete building that I called work. Went into the elevator at the end of the grand foyer. The maple panelling on the top half of the walls, in the elevator, gave a welcoming feeling that I remember almost brought me to tears… the first thirty-year-old VP in CXN history. I clicked on the bottom button labelled 52 and I waited.
    I remember every second of this ride… it was the best thirty seconds I had ever experienced. As the doors pulled open, I remember almost jumping out of them, but I paused myself, took a deep breath, and walked through the doors, exhaling I looked at the level I had never seen before in my life. The elevator room had a pathetic looking plant in one corner situated beside a desk. An elderly woman was working there. She had a button to her left that was used to open the glass doors that separated me from my future.
    I calmly walked over to the desk, “Who and what?” The old lady said rather bluntly toward me.
    I was actually kind of taken back, but I quickly regained my composure. I was going to present myself in such a way that this memory would glisten in my mind for eternities sake, “I need to speak with Mr. Balnos, my name is Ryan McLean.” And without a word the lady pressed the button and pointed to a door on the left of the grand hallway that opened up to me. “Thank you,” I said with a smile that was not returned.
    As I walked into a room with a large lavender Persian rug on the vast floor. I wafted in the odour of burnt Romeo & Juliets that filled my nostrils. The dark brown panelling was almost eloquent in its simplicity, drawing my step closer and closer to the dark mahogany door with the black insignia, President of Analysis and Sales, Mr. James. F. Balnos. I gave the door a knock… one of those proper, strong authoritive knocks, but not long and drawn out. “Come in,” a deep voice behind the door commanded.
    I opened the door with much curiosity, what would the other side reveal? Greener grass maybe? As I walked past the threshold of the door into a long empty room, I began to absorb my surroundings, with the hardwood floor with a Egyptian rug over top of it or how at the very end of this huge office was a large black wooden desk, cluttered with papers and small supplies. In behind the desk, a gigantic transparent wall that was a view of most of Greater New York. On the parallel walls leading to this window were bookshelves that were filled. In behind the desk sat a pudgy, bald man, in a fine black suit, he beckoned me closer with his hand. “Now Ryan, yes Ryan I remember you,” he was the man who offered me the job. He changed my life for me and he was about to change my life all over again.
    “Yes, Sir, Ryan McLean.” I said as I approached him and outstretched my hand, “Pleasure to meet you again.”
    “Oh, yes, pleasure.” he said ignoring my hand and sitting, while pointing to the one across from him. “Now Ryan, you and I know how much this company has invested into you.”
    I might have picked up the sternness in his voice had I not been so blinded by the thought of my bright future. “Of course and I can’t tell you how thankful I am for that.”
    “Yes, and you then can understand my surprise when we proof-read your latest blog.”
    “Oh yes, you mean what I said about the grim future of automotive companies in North America, since the unstable prices for gas is causing people to look for alternate modes of transportation.”
    “Yes that one. I can’t understand why you would do that to this company.”
    “What do you mean?”
    “You know that Honda owns this company, and that when their stock suffers then everyone suffers.”
    “Honda is in many diff…”
    “Honda is based on automotives, you and I both know. You are trying to sabotage the service that we provide.”
    “No, I have dedicated everything I can to this business. How can you say that?” my blood began to boil as I stood, up.
    “Sit! We are not done; I need you to take back your blog, and talk about something else.”
    “Take it back?” I yelled, “My reputation… my image. If I deny my readers my valued advise, I would lose… my… everything I‘ve worked for.”
    Then James stood and rested his arms on his desk and leaned on them as if they were kickstands. “You have no loyalties and you just really are not the type of team player we’d thought you’d be and…”
    “Before you finish that sentence,” I knew the stare on my face would likely have made a rabbit drop dead of fright, “Let me remind you who my clients are.”
    “We have talked to our clients and they have all assured me that they are behind this move one hundred percent.” Just then I noticed it- a smile on James’ face -he had me backed into a corner and now just had to wait for me to stop flailing so he could go for the kill.
    “What about all the money my insights have brought to this company?”
    “Do you think you’re some kind of seer or something? You’re a dime a dozen. I have fifty-two kids on my roster that pull the same crap as you everyday, but at least they know where their limits are… Ryan, you can no longer work here, I want you packed and gone by five o’clock tonight. Your final check is already in the mail.” I wanted to jump across the table and strangle the life out of this demon when he paused. I knew he had some inkling of what I was thinking. “Goodbye, Ryan.”
    I don’t know why I lost control. I never had before… maybe it was the way he said, “Goodbye.” I lunged for his throat. James tripped backward in surprises, knocking the back of his head off a large window behind his desk.
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Blog Entries
    “What the hell, Ryan?” he gasped, as he struggled to his feet. I was now on the other side of his desk, jumping once again for his bulbous neck. He struggled under my body weight, clutching my wrists with his hands, trying to free his throat from my grip. His eyes bulge as he gasps for his fleeting breathe. He began to struggle to raise his knee underneath me. He forced my body upward with his flabby leg. I was forced to release his gullet and was flung into his desk. Quickly James reached into his pocket and pulled out a black pistol like object, “I‘m sorry,” I remember his muttering as his finger tensed over the trigger.
    Instantly I felt two sharp bites into my chest, and then the explosion of paralysis hit me as I began to twitch on the floor. “Four-thousand volts of electricity are following through your body.” I remember hearing in my head. All through the air the only sound you could hear was click, click, click, then it all stopped and all was silent. I was face down on the ground with my left arm tight against my back before I even realized what happened.
    “You are a fool, Ryan. A kid with your talent… if you just thought for a second about someone other than yourself; everything would have been different.” Think about someone else, but he’s the one that wants the fifty-thousand readers to lose their money just because he can’t bare thinking about any dip in profit.
    The police had little trouble taking me to jail, since I was still pretty incapacitated by the tazer shock I had just received. The back of the leather-interiored cruiser was filled with the scent of urine since the shock made me lose control of all my functions. A $5,600 suit had been soiled in, all in all at that moment I was very unhappy.
    This fact became very apparent when I was sent to my holding cell. I was sharing it with a few drunks who smelt as if they had been fermenting in the cell for at least a day or two, more likely a hour or so, but the fact was they smelt. I was still in my suit and had just finished making my call to my lawyer and began to loosen my deep-purple tie and went and stood on the long bench that ran across the back of the light-blue-bricked-wall. I stood in the corner and began to tie my tie high up one of the bars. After feeling very satisfied with the knot I took a step off the bench in hopes that I would strangle myself and die, but all that happened was I fell and the tie slide down, I stumbled backwards and smacked my head off the brick wall which, partly due to exhaustion and partly because the physics of the whole idea, knocked me right out. Admittingly if I were in a saner-frame-of-mind I would most likely have realized that this idea probably would not have been successful, but if I was in a that frame-of-mind I would most likely would not to be trying to kill myself. When I regained consciousness I was in a strait jacket in a white room with two “doctors”. It seemed that my lawyer had successfully argued temporary insanity and had me easily move to the Manhattan Psychiatric Centre.
    I am now here in my room, my baby blue room, with a chair, a bed with deep, majestic blue sheets, real clothes, a desk, and pictures of a family that seems so foreign to me. Heather and the kids have come down to see me. They are staying in my house till I get better. Heather, keeps looking at me lovingly and showing me pictures of the kids as they were growing up. Alexander and Cleo finally met Hillary. They apparently hit it off great. Hilary has stopped by very often, usually armed with the two children I had spent so much time ignoring.
    As I sit in this room, reminded of all those who love me, I can’t help but think I have been lying to myself about my priorities… it was my status that was trying so hard to remove those who loved me. My selfishness destroyed my life, but it’s my family that has the power to salvage it.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd