Thread: The Scott story

Blog Entries

The Scott story

So Meg, Tina and I are out on Saturday night. It is one of those typical early spring nights in New England, cool and drizzly. We are dressed to kill in our miniskirts, heels and puffy hair. All of us are 21, within 4 months of each other, and we have been out barhopping. We searched out the sleaziest looking bars in the roughest parts of town and embarked on our "fear no bar" tour. When you are newly of drinking age in our town, this is pretty much what you do on a Saturday night. It is about 11.30 and the evening is starting to wind down. Suddenly, Meg has this incredibly brilliant idea; "Let's go find Scott Arnold's house!" and it is indeed, a brilliant thought. We have only the vaguest idea of where Scott lives, only that it is on this very long, very winding road on the outskirts of town.

Off we go, in search off Scott. Mist hovers in the air and sparkles in the headlights of Tina's car. Did I mention Tina's car? It is this huge boat of a thing from the early 80's with "trusty" front wheel drive. Anyway. We drive through the night down Lake road, in search of our pal, Scott. The road is so long and there are hardly any street lights on it and Tina wants to turn around and go back. She pulls into this long, dark driveway and the headlights stab into the windows of the house we are in front of. Suddenly, the porch light goes on, and we panic. "Go, go!" Tina guns the car back down the driveway, turns the wheel and we are on the embankment, right beside this other house. She tries to turn around, but we are stuck. All three of us tumble out of the car to investigate, and the back wheels of the car are stuck in the mud. "Try backing down a little bit, and then going forward" Meg suggests.So Tina goes to do that and Meg and I watch helplessly as the car ever so slowly slides down the slope into somebody's yard. "Crap" we hiss at each other, "what the f**k are we going to do now??!". Well, apparently what we do now is...Meg and I try to push the car up the slope, while Tina tries to drive us out of this mess we are in.This is where the "trusty" front wheel drive becomes relevant. Due to the way the car is made, and it's sheer size, it is impossible for us to budge it, in fact it becomes even more stuck. Of course it doesn't help that Meg is 110 pounds soaking wet and I am not much bigger, so we just don't have the strength to push much. What makes it even worse is the fact that we have on high heels, are trying to balance on a slope, in the mud. I slip, and fall backwards, flat on my ***, and can't help but laugh.

This disaster goes on for about a half and hour, and then lights come on inside the house. Two men come out and walk towards us."Uh, can I help you?' the shorter one asks. "We got stuck, we were looking for Scott Arnold's house" Tina says and I whisper to Meg "Beam me up, Scotty" and we collapse against each other, somewhat hysterically. Suddenly, the taller figure moves forward and stands revealed in the glow of the solitary street light as none other than Scott himself. "Oh, uh, hi" he says in this pseudo casual way. The shorter guy, otherwise known as Scott's dad, offers his help to get the car moving again. He gets in the car, and instead of trying to go forward, he quickly and easily backs down the slope,drives through the yard and pulls over. Meg, Tina, Scott and I survey the tiremarks and puncture holes left in the Arnold's lawn, and look at each other. We thank Mr. Arnold and beat a very hasty retreat and we head back to Meg's and my apartment. We feel stupid and guilty, but the whole thing is so bizarre, so silly. We were looking for Scott and boy, did we find him! The next morning at 9am sharp, Meg calls a florist and orders a fruit and flower basket to be sent to the Arnold's.
    Last edited by kathycf; 05-20-2006 at 03:38 PM.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Ah Cathy, this story brought back memories and blushes.I loved the whole feeling, the excitement, then dismay then hopeless laughter.
    My girlfriend and I were bored one night(high school) and since I was really too shy to do a lot of things I sat watching her read her ever loving Seventeen mag. Suddenly she pointed to an article about kids toilet papering a guys house they crushed on somewhere in California. (note California, not arctic Canada) So we snuck roll after roll from my house in a clumsy brown bag, put on our parkas, it was freezing out and away we walked a mile to HIS house. We knew h is parents were out bowling and thought he was out. We papered the whole house and a couple of trees. to our horror the headlights of his parents car came in the drive. paper went flying and so did we amid screaming and cursing. I ran, she ran , all the way to a corner store where flying thu the door we hid behind a crate of bananas. Later on the walk home we were actually stopped by the people driving around looking for us. It was very foggy and they hadn't got a good look. we acted all innocent but I nearly died when I saw the lady had carefully rewrapped the rolls-they were hugely thick now.
    What a scare.
    Thank you, I loved it. Any more fun stuff?

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Rachel. I'm glad you liked it. Your "TP" story sounds funny.
    I am working on another, should post it soon.
    K.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~