Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Were Allowed To Write And Publish Just One Book What Would The Subject Be?

If You Were Allowed To Write And Publish Just One Book What Would The Subject Be?

I was thinking a lot about the swift flying undesribable thing that our few mortal years are and I thought I would put the question above to anyone interested.
    Only one book allowed to even be written in your life, whether long or short.
    Only one theme, one thing to put forth to an unsuspecting reading public that you hope will stand the test of time .That you dream will be lauded as a great classic, no matter the genre. Something to leave your mark with.

For me the theme is a toughie. There are so many things to share. But if it could only be one it would be probably a mythological genre book that explores the ability or not to be really faithful in all areas of one's existance. Faithful to a mate, faithful to a dream, faithful to one's own self. Faithful to the last breath.
    Anyone else have a thought on this topic?

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "If You Were Allowed To Write And Publish Just One Book What Would The Subject Be?"

Very easy for me to answer, no fantasy or flowery poetry from me it will be a biography of my mother, her life and works
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Man,
    coming from a person I so esteem and admire Logos, just reading what you wrote about your mother gave me tears. I will be lined up to buy that book and no mistake.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    For me the theme is a toughie. There are so many things to share. But if it could only be one it would be probably a mythological genre book that explores the ability or not to be really faithful in all areas of one's existance. Faithful to a mate, faithful to a dream, faithful to one's own self. Faithful to the last breath.
    Anyone else have a thought on this topic?
    My theme would be similar to yours, except it would not be in a mythological genre. It would be a novel of realism, and while faithful to one's self would be a key element, I would describe it as finding one's true self. It would ultimately be a novel of a quest and overcoming challenges.

Great idea for a thread, Rachel.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

I think it would be a biography of Elizabeth Sewall Alcott, for she is the person I have mostly admired all through my life. I think she is worthy of being removed from shadows. As Louisa May Alcott wrote after her sister's death:
    There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.

Rachel would deserve a book as well!
    "What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?"

Blog Entries
    I would create a pop-up book that attempts to 'shows' the reader, in the simplest terms, how everything in this world is connected. This might be a lifetime commitment, but hey, only one book, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktd222
    I would create a pop-up book that attempts to 'shows' the reader, in the simplest terms, how everything in this world is connected.
    Sounds like you see the world as one complicated poem to analyze!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Sounds like you see the world as one complicated poem to analyze!
    Maybe college will staighten me out.

oh ktd222, if you ever do make such a glorious creation I will buy one for me and one for baby Hasia. I actually collect unusual ones, they are magical to me. And it would be thrilling to see how you see the world in one pop up book.

And Elizabeth your choice moves me to tears, I so agree with what her sister said of her.

Oh, I can't decide between two.

One will be biography of my Nana Aba (mother's father)

The other will be a novel against "Mughal Dynasty in Subcontinent" I have even written a short story about it but it does not cover all the stuff. It can only be covered in a novel.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow, everybody's ideas sound really interesting
    do write your Mughal Empire novel, Pensy, I'd be the first to buy it
    what did your Nana Aba do? mine was a violent drunkard, so there's not gonna be a biography of him...

I'd either publish the novel I've been working on ("Making Sense"), or a saga of my family... there's enough weird stuff there to make it interesting, even though it wouldn't be fictional

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch
    wow, everybody's ideas sound really interesting
    do write your Mughal Empire novel, Pensy, I'd be the first to buy it
    what did your Nana Aba do? mine was a violent drunkard, so there's not gonna be a biography of him...

I'd either publish the novel I've been working on ("Making Sense"), or a saga of my family... there's enough weird stuff there to make it interesting, even though it wouldn't be fictional
    My Nana Aba is a retired Urdu Professor. He has written some published books, Ghazals, articles and essays. His life is full of adventures. He has met many famous Urdu writers. He is really an idealist. He sacrificed a lot for the sake of Urdu Literature and expects to be acknowledged for that. He is the person who calls himself one of the "revolutionary" minds starting from 1950's when Pakistan was struggling through things. I also agree that he did a lot for Urdu Literature but there are people who did more than him. I will call him really simple because of his idealistic approach. Throughout his life, when people were collecting money from corruption, he stayed against corruption. He is the founder chairman of our local university. For all these things, he is really proud. (that's what angers me)

When he was three or four years old, a doctor told him that his eyes had a defect. He would not be able to see very clearly. His mother, father and siblings thought that he would become a farmer in his local village but he was the first one from his siblings who went to the city, got education and became a Professor and his older brother spoilt his parents money by amusing himself and in the company of flattering friends. My Nana Aba went to the city and educated himself and all of his younger brothers. The person whom people used to call "Bahra" (a person who can't see) although he could see a little fullfilled the wishes of his parents, the wishes his parents had from his eldest brother.

Although with his eyes little defect, he read many books. Along with Urdu literature, he had interest in other English Literature, Philosophy, Psychology, Politics, Sports as well as in Sciences. He has recently told me that he has read HG Wells, TS Eliot...etc..

With all his good aspects, I believe that he has his character's flaws. One of them in my opinion is his believe in social system of classes and the other is his very idealistic approach. He want to see a world full of truthful and honest people. The other thing is that he can't stand without talking. (which is also my flaw which my brother say that I have inherited from him) He has so many friends, lots of friends. He know lots of people which astonishes me a lot.

So that's my Nana Aba. I love him but sometimes I gets very angry at him specially because he is really cares about "social classes" (castes) a lot. He has told me lots of stories about his childhood. I will like to collect them and write a novel but I think that I am not so good at languages yet so I will not be able to describe each and everything.

SleepyWitch, Thanks though I dare say that my novel about Mughal Empire will ever be published but it might....after all it is not impossible.
    Last edited by Pensive; 05-21-2006 at 08:26 AM.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sounds really interesting, Pensy. well, you can collect material for the biography now and write it when you feel your language skills are up to it

oh both of your proposed work sounds enchanting. It is very hard to sit down and think of just one thing alone that would represent a life's work. That is how I approach all my writing for children. Because none of us know what tomorrow brings I think like that, what if this is my last day, what will I say to others, do for others, for myself, write? It gives quite a different color to the canvass then thinking"oh well, tomorrow is another day." It is how I like to live my life.
    Your contributions to this thread are much appreciated and I hope, it is my prayer that all will really and truly start with that special one and actually do it, writing each day, a few minutes here or there, a stolen hour once in a while-actually get that special one accomplished. Then there is the leisure of tackling the next one and living like it for sure is the last thing you will give the world.
    I am excited for all of you.

Thanks man, I really want to complete it before my Nana Aba's next visit!

Nice ideas everyone and a nice thread!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast