Thread: Joyce and psychoanalysis

Question Joyce and psychoanalysis

I have to write a text of one page about the relationship of James Joyce and psychoanalysis.I've read The portrait of the artist as a young man and the Ulysses but I haven't got a lot of time. Could someone help me? Could someone give me some links with something about this theme or personal opinion? I need help now! Thanks

Why moved? Sorry I'm new here.

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Because you had initially posted this in the "Poems, Poets, and Poetry" section
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

I'm sorry but Now where is ? In what section?

Blog Entries
    Now it is in the --> Discussion of Specific Authors List, under Joyce, James

http://www.online-literature.com/for...play.php?f=152

Thank you, I hope that someone will help me soon

Blog Entries
    There is a book written on this very subject which could be very helpful, maybe it is in your local library.

James Joyce and the Problem of Psychoanalysis by Luke Thurston
    University of Wales, Aberystwyth.

"From its very beginning, psychoanalysis sought to incorporate the aesthetic into its domain. Despite Joyce's deliberate attempt in his writing to resist this powerful hermeneutic, his work has been confronted by a long tradition of psychoanalytic readings. Luke Thurston argues that this very antagonism holds the key to how psychoanalytic thinking can still open up new avenues in Joycean criticism and literary theory. In particular, Thurston shows that Jacques Lacan's response to Joyce goes beyond the 'application' of theory: rather than diagnosing Joyce's writing or claiming to have deciphered its riddles, Lacan seeks to understand how it can entail an unreadable signature, a unique act of social transgression that defies translation into discourse. Thurston imaginatively builds on Lacan's work to illuminate Joyce's place in a wide-ranging literary genealogy that includes Shakespeare, Hogg, Stevenson and Wilde. This study should be essential reading for all students of Joyce, literary theory and psychoanalysis."

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogu...sbn=0521835909

http://www.bsu.edu/web/esf/2.1/ulin.htm

Yikes, Matteo.
    I could help, but if you must relate James Joyce with psychoanalysis according to The Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man and Ulysses, I have some difficult, as I have only read Finnegans Wake, and could help greatly with that book.
    Joyce, himself, had a mysterious life, allegedly "convincing himself" of his own intelligence and fleeing Ireland since no one shared his faith in himself. Apparently, too, his daughters, patients of Carl Jung himself , came down with psychiatric diagnoses of all types. Even in life, Joyce seemed surrounded by psychology, especially while living in the specific era.
    Finnegans Wake . . . how can I place the right words . . . has no beginning or end. My signature at the bottom of this message has a quote from the book, the first half of which (ending mid-sentence) comes from the end, and the last half (beginning mid-sentence) comes from the beginning, separated by ellipses ('. . .'); in essence, the book functions in circles.
    I can speak honestly when I say that no one can truly understand Finnegans Wake except Joyce himself, ranging in several languages, dialects, word scrambles, misplaced punctuation, and allusions to an overwhelming amount of other literature. Personally, I feel Finnegans Wake functions much like a psychoanalytic test - you understand what you understand, mainly according to what knowledge you have in yourself, and what you will seek; other things one will never understand, not seeming a part of one's psyche, so to speak.
    The story has a questionable plot, but, if you ever get the chance, I recommend reading it - one of the most fun books I have ever read!

Did he have schizophrenia?
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

Quote Originally Posted by genoveva
    Did he have schizophrenia?
    Not that I know of, but he did suffer from various ailments of his own, including chronic glaucoma, which later rendered him blind.
    James Joyce's daughter, however, Lucia Joyce, seemed known to have a subtype of schizophrenia, diagnosed by Carl Jung himself - the subtype, I cannot recall, but the term appears seldom used these days.

Blog Entries
    hebephrenia

"Late in 1935 Lucia was removed in a straitjacket from an establishment at Neuilly after further violent behaviour, and was threatened with incarceration in a state asylum. Joyce, now recognizing that she was in ‘the abyss of insanity’, was able to have her transferred to a hôtel de santé at Ivry-sur-Seine, where she remained until 1951. (She was then moved to St Andrew's Hospital, Northampton, where she remained until her death in 1982.)"-- from Bruce Stewart, ‘Joyce, James Augustine Aloysius (1882–1941)’, Oxford University Press, Sept 2004

Lucia, Jung etc

He had one daughter, Lucia, who went mad. Jung among others analysed her, to no avail: she said "imagine that big fat materialistic Swiss trying to steal my soul" (or words to that effect. Bear in mind JJ had no time for psychoanalysis - he said to his friend Frank Budgen re the subconscious "what about the conscious what do they know about that?" (again, or words...) Jung compared JJ & Lucia's mental states to two people jumping off a bridge into water - JJ was diving, Lucia falling. Jung irritated JJ by suggesting Ulysses cd be read forwards or backwards. However, Jung did say after reading Penelope "maybe the devil's grandmother knows as much about women; I don't" (or words..)

Brenda Maddox's book, Nora, The Real Life of Molly Bloom, goes into depth about the Joyce's feelings about Lucia's mental health issues and what he thought about Jung and his theories! haha! Great book that really gives insight into Nora Barnacle as the muse of Joyce's masterpieces! It's a must read for any serious student of James Joyce!

The Book