Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is writing a skill or a gift

The quality of content and its expression determines the merit of any writing. Experience supplies for content and command over language, for expression.
    However, each can compensate for the dearth of the other.........to some extent.

English is a great language to express oneself.
    Last edited by caesar; 06-03-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    "Don't need a gun to blow your mind"

Writing is a gift that must be skillfully developed.
    Basic knowledge of grammar, language, punctuation, etc. are musts for any would-be writer. But these basics cannot make up for imagination, an ear for dialogue, descriptive ability, or an instinctive knowledge that something isn't quite "right."
    Too much or too little wordiness can ruin a work of fiction, as can a failure to correctly intertwine the threads of your story.
    Of course all of these defeciencies may be remedied by hard work, but it's never quite the same; a mechanic is not a pilot.

When one student in a class blows the others away time and time again, it is probably not because he has worked harder than the others--although they may wish to think that this is so--but because he is more talented to begin with. This is especially true in off-the-cuff assignments that allow for no preparation time.
    "I may not be better than other people, but at least I'm different."
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think so -- I doubt that talents are ingrained from birth, but rather a result of the degree of stimulation that the child receives in the early years of life, which influences how well they learn.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood3000
    I don't think so -- I doubt that talents are ingrained from birth, but rather a result of the degree of stimulation that the child receives in the early years of life, which influences how well they learn.
    I think that can lead to early reading, and can give a child the basic building blocks, but without innate talent all that will be achieved is craftwork. Sort of like building a house vs designing one.
    Something extra is needed in order to take that creative leap.
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Blog Entries
    I say again, there's no indication whatsoever of talent being innate so much as ingrained. How can anyone say if talent for writing is there from birth or there from age 2? As I am now, I do well in school in both math and writing, and absolutely enjoy the latter. As a child, my mother force-fed me the multiplication tables early on, and I read voraciously. I doubt that this is a coincidence.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

I doubt that it is either, but it only means that you learned to read early in life. How many works have you written? I don't mean to imply that you DON'T have a gift for writing, by the way. You are correct in your assertion that it must be nourished. If you don't write, you'll never know.
    No, there are those that lack something in their makeup that discourages them from having an interest in this sort of activity. My sister and I were raised in the same house by the same parents, yet she rarely reads and has absolutely no interest in writing. In fact, she had a head start over me, in that she was enrolled in Montessori school, and I never was. But I--as you--read voraciously.
    By the way, have you read Pyle's Robin Hood? I must have read it 25 times when I was younger.
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Blog Entries
    Same house and same parents do not same upbringing make, although I can see where you're coming from.

Alas, have yet to read it -- too busy lately.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

To be absolutely honest, I feel that the most important attribute a writer can have, whether gifted or skilled, is self-discipline. Without it, one can rarely accomplish anything, no matter how good one is.
    It is best, I believe, if one can eliminate as many outside distractions as possible, such as television, hanging with buddies, and even may have to include cutting back on one's reading, unfortunately.
    Follow this up by concentrating all of your free time into a scheduled block and force yourself to write or research your work every day during the same time period. Otherwise, you get into a shotgun mindset and start putting things off until "you have more time," or "you feel more creative," or any of a dozen other excuses for procrastination.
    Good luck!
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123