Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Satan, Who is he?

Satan, Who is he?

So, there's all these discussions about Jesus and whether He is God or the Son of God or just a prophet. I began to think about why we don't talk that much about Satan. What or who does everyone believe this being is and where he/it came from? I'd like some tangible quotes from whatever religious texts you use too, please. If you don't have any, that's fine. Just put what you believe.
    "A hidden connection is stronger than an obvious one."

Heraclitus

Green Lady sorry if i am jumping in, i have already jumped in between other's posts without permission. If you want i can write about the Satan from islamic point of view pasting verses from Holy Quran.

Here is how all began, and how he took a promise to distract Adam's sons and how he is arrogant, and how he is first enemy for humans:
    Surah 7 [11] It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Iblis; he refused to be of those who bow down. [12] (Allah) said: "What prevented thee from bowing down when I commanded thee?" He said: "I am better than he: Thou didst create me from fire, and him from clay."[13] (Allah) said: "Get thee down from this: it is not for thee to be arrogant here: get out, for thou art of the meanest (of creatures)." [14] He said: "Give me respite till the day they are raised up." [15] (Allah) said: "Be thou amongst those who have respite." [16] He said: "Because Thou hast thrown me out of the Way, lo! I will lie in wait for them on Thy Straight Way: [17] "Then will I assault them from before them and behind them, from their right and their left: nor wilt Thou find, in most of them, gratitude (for Thy mercies)." [18] (Allah) said: "Get out from this, disgraced and expelled. If any of them follow thee, Hell will I fill with you all. [19] "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden, and enjoy (its good things) as ye wish: but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression." [20] Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them, in order to reveal to them their shame that was hidden from them (before): he said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest ye should become angels or such beings as live forever." [21] And he swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser. [22] So by deceit he brought about their fall: when they tasted of the tree, their shame became manifest to them, and they began to sew together the leaves of the Garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: "Did I not forbid you that tree, and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy unto you?" [23] They said: "Our Lord! we have wronged our own souls: if Thou forgive us not and bestow not upon us Thy Mercy, we shall certainly be lost." [24] (Allah) said: "Get ye down, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood for a time." [25] He said: "Therein shall ye live, and therein shall ye die; but from it shall ye be taken out (at last)." [26] O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition! [27] O ye Children of Adam! let not Satan seduce you, in the same manner as he got your parents out of the Garden, stripping them of their raiment, to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch you from a position where ye cannot see them: We made the Evil Ones friends (only) to those without Faith.

Allah forgived the sin of Adam, Allah know that Adam will eat so and Eve peace be upon them, all what happened in paradise was to show us how much Satan hate us and how arrogant he is. Allah created Humans and jinns to worship him, and he made this life as exam for us, the one who choose Allah's t steps will win, and the one who choose Satan will loose:
    Sura 2 verse [37] Then learnt Adam from his Lord words of inspiration, and his Lord turned towards him; for He is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
    Surah 15 [39] (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! because Thou hast put me in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong, [40] "Except Thy servants among them, sincere and purified (by Thy grace)." [41] (Allah) said: "This (Way of My sincere servants) is indeed a Way that leads straight to Me. [43] And verily, Hell is the promised abode for them all!

Satan is not an angels (angels obey Allah and they dont work against him they are pure creatures.
    Surah 18 verse 50 "...except Iblis. He was one of the Jinns, and he broke the Command of his Lord..."

Every one born without sin, pure persons, but with passing of time the person or he follow steps of Duvil or he follow steps of Allah, and the one who repent during his life for following steps of Satan, Allah will accept his repent He is the mericiful, the one who die following his steps (not believing in Allah and satan mean following steps os satan also):
    Surah 2 verse [208] O ye who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the Evil One; for he is to you an avowed enemy.
    Surah 2 verse [268] The Evil One threatens you with poverty and bids you to conduct unseemly. Allah promiseth you His forgiveness and bounties. And Allah careth for all and He knoweth all things.
    Surah 5 90] O ye who believe! intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan's handiwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper.

So all what happened to our father Adam and mother Eve peace be upon them was to show us who is our enemy, and to know his reality, and every one try his best and choose Allah to win. Allah t wasnt playing arround when he created Adam and Eve pbu them and made them live in paradise, and made a specific tree not allowed, and left Satan talk to them.

And alot of other verses, but i tried not to write so much and to get the whole idea so clearly

Even dyslexics need a Santa.

Not much is really known about the fallen Angels including Saten but What we do know is this: the angels were created before the earth (Job 38:4-7). Satan fell before he tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden (Genesis 3:1-14). Satan’s fall, therefore, must have occurred somewhere after the time the angels were created and before he tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Whether Satan’s fall occurred a few minutes, hours, or days before he tempted Adam and Eve in the garden, Scripture does not specifically say.

Why did Satan fall from Heaven? Satan fell because of pride. He desired to be God, not to be a servant of God. Notice the many "I will..." statements in Isaiah 14:12-15. Ezekiel 28:12-15 describes Satan as an exceedingly beautiful angel. Satan was likely the highest of all angels, the most beautiful of all of God's creations. Satan was not content in his position. Instead, Satan desired to be God, to essentially "kick God off His throne" and take over the rule of the universe. Satan wanted to be God, and interestingly enough, that is what Satan tempted Adam and Eve with in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-5). How did Satan fall from Heaven? Actually, a fall is not an accurate description. It would be far more accurate to say that God cast Satan out of Heaven (Isaiah 14:15; Ezekiel 28:16-17).

Christians believe that Satan was an Angel, as said above and I believe that Lucifer(aka Satan) and 1/3 of the Angels were cast out of Heaven.
    Last edited by rufioag; 05-08-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.

Snoopy the Magnificent! woeful painter's Avatar
    He's my bro

I'll throw this out: Satan is Insanity
    Art is art.

It's interesting you should say that, because before insanity was considered a disease, many used to consider it demon possession.
    "What is it all but a trouble of ants
    In the gleam of a million million of suns?"

Yes, mental illness was associated with the Devil. I guess that was because no one understood it, or, as in some cases, it was used as an excuse to burn up a heretic. My contention is though, why not. Instead of deploying this word 'Satan' solely to religion, what if its roots were indeed insanity.
    Art is art.

Indeed. What if all religion was a form of delusion?

That would be pleasant fiction wouldnt it?
    No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.

indeed that it would!

can we stay on the topic of who we beleive satan is???

I believe he's the fallen angel. The one who tempted Adam and Eve. The one who tried to temp Jesus to do ungodly things.
    Satan, the one who started the rebellion against God from the very beginning.
    Last edited by Gozeta; 05-09-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    "Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age."
    Jeanne Moreau

I agree with Rufioag, Rufioag obviously having a Judeo-Christian view on this.

Lucifer was an archangel(?) in heaven, along with Michael and Gabriel. He became proud, he wanted to be God. Something happended in Heaven, so that Lucifer and other angels were thrown out of Heaven. Angels were in the beginning given the choice if they would follow God, or rebel against Him. There choices cannot be changed. The angels that left Heaven are known as demons, because they choose evil. Satan attacks humans because we are God's most precious creation. It hurts God when we follow Satan, and Satan wants to hurt God.

Satan has many names including Beelzebub and Lucifer, as well as the Devil, Prince of Darkness, the Evil One. Satan wants us to deny His existence. We are fighting Him in a great battle, one that has already been won by Jesus Christ. Did I miss anything that Rufioag didn't mention?
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

Wow! Your on it RJbibliophil! lol
    Satan, our one and true enemy.
    "Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age."
    Jeanne Moreau

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamonas Chegwe
    Even dyslexics need a Santa.
    As a dyslexic XAm I say
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

I believ Satan was a small, yellow tadpole called 'Peter'.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast