Thread: Can you recommend a translation?

Can you recommend a translation?

I am about to read The Count of Monte Cristo and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good translation. Also I'd like to know which is the most critically acclaimed translation, which is the most popular - and whether they are the same or not, etc.

I was extremely happy with the Pevear translation of The Brothers K, and I am also under the impression that it is the leading translation - in some ways a standard - and I was wondering whether there is something similar for the novels of Dumas.

Penguin Classics seems the best to me. The most true to the French.

Allegedly, there would have been argued some lesbian content in Eugénie, which the 1846 translation edited out. And let that be just the translation which most publishers base their translations upon... I don't know whether it is true, as I didn't notice any of it really screamingly in the French original, but anyway, Wordsworth Classics seems to take a lot of liberty with the French text.

[edit] Penguin Classics is Robin Buss's translation, by the way.
    Last edited by kiki1982; 08-03-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Thanks, kiki. I just picked up this translation from the bookstore yesterday.

Glad I could be of help
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)