Thread: Jerome K. Jerome

abnihilisation of the ety

Jerome K. Jerome

I've just recently discovered Jerome and thought his story 'Three Men in a Boat' to be delightfully funny and well written.

I was curious to know if anyone here shares my opinion on him, or has different feelings about his works. Also, could anyone recommend other titles that he has written?

The book club read "Three Men in a Boat / Three Men in a Bummel" for the book club some months ago.

I've only read those two titles but I do agree that it was pretty funny. Especially since most of us could identify people we knew in some of the characters.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I really like "Three men in a boat". There is also a popular russian comedy based on the book.
    I remember telling my mom, that I have problems with my liver whenever I was lazy. Somehow she was never buying it

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I really enjoyed reading Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel with the Book Club last year (here is the discussion thread by the way: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=12936 ) Boat is the funnier of the two, I think.

I know there is a movie based on the book out there somewhere as well. Wish could watch it!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

abnihilisation of the ety
    Thank you all very much! It's great to find out that some of his works were rite here under my nose - I'll be happy to get to reading some of those.

And I thought there's nobody out there who still enjoys those two books. Each book makes me want to travel along the same route. Not sure whether that's possible though. Does Jerome actually write other great books beside those two? I am so looking forward to read more of his books.

"A truth that's told with bad intent, Beats all the lies you can invent"

I picked up a copy of his little collection of essays, 'The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow' at the library the other day, which I would strongly suggest having a browse for if you're able to. You'd probably like it if you've previously read and enjoyed his other works (reminds me actually, I've still not gotten through 'Three Men in a Boat' yet... too many books, so little time!)

It's an amusing, light-hearted look at fourteen topics (babies, dogs and cats, love etc..) which he has various gripes and mumbles about. And although it was written over a century ago, it really doesn't feel as though that's the case; the majority of what he talks about is still very much as relevant and valid in present times as it was back in his day (and you find yourself relating and thinking 'yes! exactly'). Overall, a very easy read that won't take long to get through I can pick it up whenever I feel like a break from whatever literature I'm trudging through at the time so it makes for a nice little escape in that respect, being just a collection of short essays.

Anyhow.. In the man's own words, from the cover:
    'What readers ask now-a-days in a book is that it should improve, instruct and elevate. This book wouldn't elevate a cow. I cannot conscientiously recommend it for any purposes whatever. All I can suggest is that when you get tired of reading "the best hundred books," you may take this up for half an hour. It will be a change."

Jerome's one of those guys I can picture myself sitting with on an afternoon, sipping tea and having a good old grumble with. Or just listening to him telling that old tale about 'the cheese' again from 'Three Men in a Boat'... that part gave me a little chuckle the other day.

and yes, I know.. a bit of a resurrect-a-thread (apologies)
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Takeahnase View Post
    and yes, I know.. a bit of a resurrect-a-thread (apologies)
    Why apologize? It made me find it too, and as it happens, I read three men in a boat yesterday... and liked it both for its humour and the glimpse into a world long gone.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

In that case, I do apologise for apologising

It's nice to see another Jerome fan about. He doesn't seem to be very widely known, as far as I know.. which is a bit of a shame as I do rather enjoy his writings.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes! I read Three Men in a Boat at the beginning of this school year and enjoyed myself immensely!
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Takeahnase View Post
    It's nice to see another Jerome fan about. He doesn't seem to be very widely known, as far as I know.. which is a bit of a shame as I do rather enjoy his writings.
    Yes, now that I have read Three Men in a Boat, I'll have to see if I can get hold of more of his works: As you say, he certainly is not very well known. At least not around here...

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Perplexed and Confused Cystem Phailure's Avatar

Jerome is a Gem for Mark Twain Fans

I found this website while searching for a “fan club” or something similar for Jerome K. Jerome. Since discovering him a few years ago, I’ve wondered why he isn’t better known. Like many people, I first learned about Three Men in a Boat by reading “To Say Nothing of the Dog” by Connie Willis (1997). I really enjoy her writing, and I decided to investigate the original book that had influenced her own work so heavily. I’m so glad I did, as it introduced me to the works of Jerome.

Jerome reminded me almost immediately of Mark Twain, another of my favorites, and not just because the two were contemporaries. Both authors have sharp, insightful wits, and delivered their thoughts in a relaxed, everyday tone. Jerome’s humor is also similar to that of Twain’s essays and sketches. He has a wonderful cadence in much of his writing—I find it fun to read portions out loud, and his material is great on audio books.

In addition to the books mentioned earlier in this forum, there is “Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow” and several other collections. I see Amazon offers the recently released volume of “14 Books in One: . . .” which pulls together much of Jerome’s complete works, and there is a data CD available which has 27 of his books and collections, stored in plain text.

One of many Jerome quotes I enjoy: “The clever people are such a very insignificant minority that it really doesn't much matter if they are unhappy. So long as the foolish people can be made comfortable, the world, as a whole, will get on tolerably well.” From the Cats and Dogs chapter in “Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow.”

Spread the word! This fellow is under-appreciated. Jerome K. Jerome’s writings are a century or more old, but most of his topics and observations could be written yesterday because he writes primarily about behavior and character traits, and it seems those don’t change much—at least not since the late 1800’s.
    ----
    Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use.
    --Mark Twain

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    I have just finished ''Three in a boat'' and it was an absolutely great book! I loved it and laughed all the time! Jerome was great,indeed and certainly under-rated
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ooh, downing, isn't he just! I loved reading him. Incidentally, how're you doing?
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

five short stories by Jerome K. Jerome

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/spok/metabook/pass3b.html ....have read none of them but since he was compared favorably to Marc Twain...I'll have to take a look. [ps: make that six short stories in one volume] quasimodo1