Thread: Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness

I need help with Heart of Darkness Q & A. Please help....Who is the narrator? What is the major theme of the novel? Conrad intened for us to associate Kurtz with...A)work and truth. B)disease. C)talk and lies. ----The one admirable quality possessed by Kurtz is...A)consciousness. B)cleanliness. C)politeness.

If you don't even know who the narrator is, you must not have read the story. I recommend that.

I think it is Marlow, but I have a friend that thinks it is an anoymous person. We have both read the book.

I remember it being Marlow, why does your friend think otherwise?

She read the Cliffsnotes and it says anonymous narrator. I agree...Marlow. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I think the confusion about this derives from the fact that Marlow's narratiive is narrated within another narration. At the beginning of the book, a nameless narrator describes being out on the Thammes with a group of people including Marlow, who then tells his story. After he finishes, the other narrator describes how he goes quiet and closes the novel with the phrase 'the heart of an immense darkness'.

Exclamation

ya hi guys umm so one of the biggest things is the book is that its from another persons point of view that i think u all missed out on. the narrator is not marlow the narartor is the narrator telling a story of marlow telling a story hence quotes are all int the same paragraph and it rambles. one majore theme is that "if you could would you" i dont think any of u read the book and if you did you missed the whole josef conrad trying to portray the evils of imperialism thing. kay if u have aim hackysackplayr69 and just ask any other questions its one of my favorite books

Studied this book a year ago for my final year examinations, and it was initially a drag but now is one of my favourites for the darker themes explored. guess ocdisapunkrocke summarised the answers pretty well. there are actually 3 narrators of the story, the frame narrator (the one who narrates the whole journey of marlow with him describing his tale ie. the trip along the Congo); Marlow; and Conrad himself (whereby he interjects certain personal ideas and opinions which are contrary to Englishmen like Marlow).
    Yup, main theme would probably be imperialism and it's darkness, in fact, the Heart of Darkness itself has manymany interpretations you could explore as themes/ issues. It's such an awfully dark story, and yet so hauntingly real to readers. ack.

WOW ok i have had my teacher even telling me that it is the anoymous narrator AND marlow as seperate narrators and now that i read it again i believe you (ocdisapunkrocke) are right it is defiantly the anoymous narrator telling the story of marlow telling a story!!
    Although i do not think you (Shao) could call conrad a narrator, just becuase "he interjects certain personal ideas and opinions which are contrary to Englishmen like Marlow". He certainly does this, but this does not make him a narrator, it makes him a writter. Who has written a character based on his ideas and opinions.