Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman

Has anyone else here read his books and if so, what do you think of them? I haven't read any of his graphic novels, I've never been that interested in the genre but I love his novels. I think Neverwhere is my favorite although at this point, I haven't read one of his books that I didn't like. Has anyone read Anansi Boys yet? Is it any good?

Neverwhere isn't bad but the TV adaptation sucked - way too under budget. American Gods is very good, as is his collaberation with Terry Pratchett - Good Omens - I loved the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse in this book - especially when Famine uses fast food with negative nutritional value to achieve his ends!

You really ought to read the Sandman series - it's excellently crafted - I bought the 10 collected books, and it isn't really until book 9 that you realise just how well they have all been stitched together - up until then, they seem to be more-or-less seperate stories with the same characters - best comic series I've ever read (and that includes the Bash Street Kids!!)

Totally funny but poignant at the same time. A darker, more sinister, Pratchett - thoroughly recommended - and I can read a whole novel by Gaiman in a day or two, so there's plenty of time for 'serious' books as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamonas Chegwe
    Neverwhere isn't bad but the TV adaptation sucked - way too under budget.
    I just watched that and you're right, it was awful. I was lamenting to a friend that they picked Stardust to make a movie of because while I liked it, I thought Neverwhere would make a better movie and they mentioned this miniseries so I rushed out and ordered it from amazon and was very disappointed. I was so unimpressed with Door and the Angel Islingtion was not even remotely as I imagined him and not the least bit intimidating. As a general rule it was melodramtic and cheesy and the acting was...questionable at times but then again, it was made 10 years ago now so maybe it's just dated. Gaiman was heavily involved in the project too and that somehow makes it even more disappointing.

I love Good Omens! I got that book because I'm a big Discworld fan and wanted to read more Pratchett and in the process, discovered Gaiman. The 4 Horseman were great, as were the 'extra' horsemen they picked up and that kid was a fascinating character! He was both innocent and creepy at the same time.

I like American Gods as well. My brother went through a phase where he was just obsessed with Norse mythology so I got a big kick out of the fact that one of the main characters was Odin. The concept of old gods roaming the world incognito reminded me a bit of Adams' Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul but Gaiman certainly put his own stamp to the idea.

I may have to check the Sandman series out one of these days. I need to break out of my Victorian/Russian Liturature rut I'm in and graphic novels would definately accomplish that.

Neverwhere wasn't just dated - it sucked 10 years ago too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamonas Chegwe
    Neverwhere wasn't just dated - it sucked 10 years ago too.

Well, I was trying to be gracious, but you're right, it just sucks, there's no getting around it. It would be different if they were trying to make it look cheesy but I don't believe they were, I believe they thought they were making a great peice of work. It reminds me of the 2000 miniseries version of Dune, it had that same melodramtic, questionable acting, cheesy special effects feel to it, although Dune also had some seriously odd costuming choices at least the characters in Neverwhere weren't wearing ridiculously outlandish hats...well...most of them anyway.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    I liked Good omens and neverwhere havent read American Gods or Anasi Boys yet waiting for a good moment and my order to be filled
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I read "American Gods" and enjoyed some parts of it. He is a pretty good writer, but American Gods could have been 300 pages shorter without losing anything. After reading the first hundred pages I reflected on it and realized that it was poorly edited and could have been cut to about 80 pages. After reading the whole thing I realized that there is a section that is about 100 pages that could have been reduced to 5 pages. While the writing was good, Gaiman got some of the ancient religion wrong: Czernobog and Bielobog change positions on the Solstices, not on the Equinoxes for example.

Read Neverwhere, and liked it. But Coraline is great. Not only is it just good, but I bought in for my 8-year-old niece, and she loved it, too.

Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Blog Entries
    i read a bunch of his books - i liked Good Omens best, but then again, Terry Pratchett is my favorite author : ) - but i've stopped reading him lately because i read some of the Sandman and got scared. : )
    No day but today

-God is real, unless proclaimed integer-

Neil Gaiman

How is he? I'm thinking about getting InterWorld tomorrow and I want to know if he is any good. I've heard good things about him but I heard good things about Dean Koontz too and I just got done reading The Good Guy and to me it was horrible.

So is Gaiman worth getting?

I love Neil Gaiman. I've never read InterWorld but I've read all his "adult" novels and I think he's definitely worth a try. He's got a great sense of humor, his novels are always a great, smooth read and he writes fantasy in a way that doesn't come off as cliched or unbelievable.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    Neil Gaiman is great! Read Neverwhere first...I'm reading American Gods now..but I think Neverwhere is better. I mean, the idea behind American Gods is really good, but the material could have been handled better....I think Gaiman could have done a better job writing it.

I have 'Good Omens" and "Coraline" which I'll read after American Gods....
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

I must say that while I really like Gaiman's work in the field of graphic novels, I haven't quite enjoyed his prose style that greatly. Not that I would have read everything, or probably even most that he has published in that format.

I would definitely give him a try, though. In fact, I will probably give him another opportunity, myself.

I read some of his short stories today and I loved them. I think I will get InterWorld.

Blog Entries
    Neil Man is awesome, His funny and witty and his novels are so good you just want to read them over and over. *I think I'm half in love with the guy, lol* Anansi Boys is very good and so is Stardust, I've read Good Omens, you should definetedly get into his work.
    Shall these bones live?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast