Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apocrypha and christian legends

Apocrypha and christian legends

How can I find the Apocrypha and a book of Christian Legends that aren't included in the Bible? I'm looking for the Apocrypha (the scriptures that told of Jesus' life as a child that have not been included in the Bible) and a good book of Christian Legends (e.g. the story of the Spear of Destiny, etc.). I'm looking for useful information. I need a tile and author and would prefer someone who has read these to give me their opinion of the best copy of these books. As far as the exact copy of the Apocrypha if you have your copy handy an ISBN number would be useful (I would like the translated text....not someone who writes of the stories that happened). Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thankyou ever so much!

Try Here. This is an excellent site with full religious texts for all religions.

I have some of them on my comp. if you want, I can email them as an attachment or you can try here

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/alphabetical.html
    Last edited by ugthemc; 04-18-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Aren't the apocrypha included in the catholic bible?

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

"Catholic Bible"? Is there more than one Christian Bible?

The word "apocrypha" can be confusing nowadays, because some use it as a blanket term for non-Biblical scriptures, including those of the Nag Hammadi library (Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary, etc.), while some use it only in reference to books that were referred to as "the Apocrypha" prior to the discovery of the former. These older books have mostly been included in the canon at one point or another, but I get the impression that Alysse is also referring to the more recently discovered texts.

I'm very impressed with the link Xamonas provided. It is totally bookmarked.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    "Catholic Bible"? Is there more than one Christian Bible?
    to my knowledge there is an "orthodox Bible", a "protestant bible", a "catholic bible", a "mormon bible" and a "gnostic bible" (though it is questionable as to whether gnosticism is christianity)

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

I have two volumes called the New Testament Apocrypha, edited by Wilhelm Schneemelcher, and translated into English by R. McL. Wilson.

Vol. I : Gospels and Related Writings (ISBN 0-664-21878-4)

Vol. II : Writings Related to the Apostles; Apocalypses and Related Subjects (ISBN 0-664-21879-2)

The first has much of what you desribed in the way of alleged childhood matter. In these volumes are many other manuscripts - in addition to those whose texts are provided within - named (often with publications of them specified).

I also have a slimmer volume called The Lost Books of the Bible (ISBN 0-517-27795-6)
    Last edited by Mililalil XXIV; 04-19-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Go with XCM's Site its the one I use personally when researching different biblical period books.
    Good one Xam.

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the medieval golden legends. It's an invaluable resource for accounts of Saint's lives and Church legends, and I didn't see it on the site Xam gave--which is awesome by the way. I've got it bookmarked now, thanks Xamonas!
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/goldenlegend/

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

U can find apocrypha in catholic bible, u will find 73 books, while in protestant bible u will find only 66, the difference is the in apocrypha chapters. Catholic say they are word of God , so and protestant, while protestant doesnt and they separate them from bible. The meaning of the word apocrypha is interesting for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw View Post
    to my knowledge there is an "orthodox Bible", a "protestant bible", a "catholic bible", a "mormon bible" and a "gnostic bible" (though it is questionable as to whether gnosticism is christianity)
    Gnosticism predates Christianity, but as the term is used today it refers to Christianity as practiced by those who wrote/adhered to the Nag Hammadi texts. In Darwinian fashion the precursor of the Catholic Church villified and pretty much stamped out Gnosticism.

As a young Catholic I was taught that everyone but us was on the skids to hell. I thought we ought to inform our Methodist relatives of this, but my parents said that would be impolite. Pretty funny now, but a number of branches of Christianity feel the others are at least misguided, if not heretics.

Truth be told you could teach out of any one of those socalled Bibles and do pretty well concerning christian faith with maybe the exception of the Gnostic because other than the Nag Hamadi texts I am not sure what that would be.

The diverse churches preach pretty much out of the same Old and New testaments with the biggest exceptions being the varying use of Apocryphal books none of which will send you to hell. One exception being the Mormon faith that is on your list there, they actually use something called The Book of Mormon which I am not familar with.
    The term Gnostic does vary depending on who is using it. The first thing that comes to mind will be the Nag Hamadi texts. Gnostic is usually considered mystic and esoteric so there is quite a broad feild that can be included under Gnostic.

The Douay Reims Bible would be considered the Catholic Bible today while the various Protestant denominations use a wide variety of versions. The Pe****ta is what the Church of the East uses, you would find the books listed in it much the same as most canons. One thing you would find in the Pe****ta translations is a very litteral direct translation which I quite like. If you compared the KJV to it the first thing you notice is the poetic style as compared to the very direct style of writing, I use and quite like both the Pe****ta and the KJV for my personal use. (P-E-S-H-I-T-T-A) without the hyphens

Rozzy
    Last edited by Rozzy; 11-12-2008 at 08:49 PM.

This thread is titled; Apocrypha and christian legends

So I wil go with the legends part here.

Years ago I remember reading the Sacred Legends of Adam and Eve and I really enjoyed them, they were just an easy, pleasurable read. Some may think of them as kids books but actually they can be read by about any one at all.

The book of Jasher, the 1840 translation I read cover to cover and it was a pretty kewl read.

The Shepherd of Hermas was a book I enjoyed a lot, it was also published under the name Revelations to the Shepherd of Hermas as well which is written in a smoother style which makes it perhaps more pleasurable for the reader.

Rozzy

The book of Acts ends abruptly and scollars have always pondered over the ending. There is a ch.29 that has come to light and is a pretty interesting read.
    The Lost Chapter of Acts of The Apostles, chapter 29 which appeared in the late eighteen hundreds cannot be authenticated of course but it is a pretty kewl read just the same.

Rozzy

Just a thought here on the Apocrypha.

The ancient church universally used the Septuagint, which included what we call the Apocrypha. If a person says, “Our church is just like the first-century church,” then for that to be true, they’d have to use Bibles that include the Apocrypha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast