Thread: Orwell and Hemingway

Orwell and Hemingway

I’m reading D. J. Taylor’s biography of George Orwell at the moment ("Orwell - the life") and it mentions that Orwell and Hemingway met in Paris in 1945 while Orwell was working as a war correspondent for the Observer and the Manchester Evening News.

Does anyone have more information about this meeting? Eyewitness accounts etc? I’d love to know what the two giants of 20th Century literature talked about and thought of one another.

Also, does anyone know if Hemingway reviewed any of Orwell’s books? I gather that Orwell rather admired Hemingway’s writing, from a passing reference to him in ‘Keep the Aspidistras Flying’, but can find no mention of what Hemingway thought of Orwell’s work.

An internet search reveals lots of pictures of Hemingway fishing and Orwell smoking, but no useful information!

Cheers,

Zippy.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin.

Zippy - 4 years later, just read 1984 and reading about Orwell, was wondering the same thing - his reaction to Spanish Civil War participation seems quite different from "For Whom the Bell Tolls". Did you ever get any responses to your question