Thread: Deep thought vs. imagination goes wild

Deep thought vs. imagination goes wild

What would you rather read, a book that gets you thinking and leaves you asking yourself questions such as The Merchant of Venice, or maybe a murder mystery or something? or a book that lets your imagination run wild for hours, such as The Wheel of Time series (doesn't have to be that style of book, just what i'm currently reading)?

The two aren't mutually exclusive to me. So, I suppose I prefer a book that gets me thinking. Any book that doesn't makes my imagination run wildly away from the boring book!

You have an awesome avatar.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    I like books that make me think about profound and deep things, or at least require some thought beyond mere surface thought. I also enjoy reading books that are just for entertainment, or are somewhat of a test of the imagination. What I rather read depends on my current mood. It's not as clearly defined as simply prefering it one way or the other, but looking at the books I've read, there appear to be more of the thinking variety.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like a deep thought book more, but a book like Redemption of Althalus, or Belgrath by David and Leigh Eddings, will always be memorable in my mind because of the ability to give best of both worlds. Or even Hitchhiker's Guide has the accidental ability to give you best of both worlds as well, probably why all three of these novels make it into some of favorites.
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

It's especially nice when you find a book that does both. In fact, any book that asks no questions or doesn't engage the imagination is not a lot of use IMHO.

Try reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's, "100 years of Solitude" or John Fowle's "The Magus". Either will stretch your imagination and leave you with a head full of questions.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    For me I need my imagination fore deep thopught so both
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Just a little addendum to what I already said:

I too find that good books generally need both, but most books tend to lean one way or the other. And I prefer books that lean toward thought, where the imagination stimulates the brain to think more. Rather then books that stimulate the imagination, but lack the depth to satisfy the part of the brain that thinks deep thoughts. The thinking is what keeps my imagination in check, and prevents me from loosing focus.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Oh I seee yes humm me I tend to be the opposite I find deep thought while great can keep me up all night while my imagination (unless its conjured up somthing truly terrifying ) lets me sleep well enough.

My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironblob
    What would you rather read, a book that gets you thinking and leaves you asking yourself questions such as The Merchant of Venice, or maybe a murder mystery or something? or a book that lets your imagination run wild for hours, such as The Wheel of Time series (doesn't have to be that style of book, just what i'm currently reading)?
    I don't see any significant difference between the two.

Well, I would ideally read a book that does both, but that is not too common, so I guess it depends on my mood and what I'm up for. Sometimes my mind feels too heavy with the real world worries and I just need to forget about everything for a while and let my imagination run. Some other times I need food for thought, so that's when the thought-provoking books come in handy
    "... I TAKE ON RESPONSIBILITY. I HIDE MYSELF FROM NO ONE. I AM ON MY PATH... I WON'T LET MY FOCUS CHANGE, TAKING OUT THE DEMONS IN MY RANGE ("The Warrior's Reminder". E.B.)"

abnihilisation of the ety
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamonas Chegwe
    Try reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's, "100 years of Solitude" or John Fowle's "The Magus". Either will stretch your imagination and leave you with a head full of questions.
    ^ That is the best advice that I can think of ... but . ... I really see little difference in your two categories and can wholeheartedly say that I have never read a book that did not stimulate both my imagination and mind. Reading requires imagination anyways, that is why its so wonderful.

but between your choices, I would choose a book that allows for my imagination to run wild for hours over a murder mystery (though mystery entails something unknown - imaginations work well for the unknown )
    Last edited by Geoffrey; 04-03-2006 at 05:33 PM.