View Poll Results: 'The Sound and The Fury': Final Verdict

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

2 7.69%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

3 11.54%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

4 15.38%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

17 65.38%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: April/Faulkner Book: The Sound and the Fury

Blog Entries
    I agree, Emily. I loved that line: " "I dont begrudge um. I kin sho afford my two bits."
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    Riesa, I agree that Jason's chapter has some very funny lines. Faulkner has a very dark, wry wit. Besides Jason's own funny statements, I feel at times that Faulkner uses Jason's own words to poke fun at him. For instance:Then, two pages later:Maybe it's just me, but that made me laugh.

I've also noticed that, despite Jason's very pointedly negative descriptions of the black people he encounters, Faulkner makes sure they get their word in. They're never disrespectful, but by contrasting their calm philosophical words with his own paranoid rantings, Jason's the one who comes out looking like a fool. I particularly enjoyed his conversation with Job about everyone going to the show. ("Fun" doesn't seem to be a word in Jason's vocabulary.)Zing! Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I know which of them Faulkner sides most with, and it makes me like Faulkner. As I see it, Jason leads a joyless life, not seeing merit in anything that doesn't make him money.
    I wore a bright red tie, the kind that show guy wears with Quentin, to work on Monday in honor of Jason. This is a very funny chapter. And so is the ending where Quentin makes off with his (actually her's) money. The whole episode reminded me of a Chaucer tale, where a young couple connives an older, stupid fellow.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Am I the only one who was rooting for Jason??

He should've beat the crap out of Quentin when she was whoring around town,and Caddy dosen't deserve to see her daughter anyway,seeing as how it was her who gave Quentin up in the first place.

Jason is the only one in the family with any sense.

*extended speechlessness*

I... uh... are you being serious here?
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Damn straight.

Blog Entries
    the only 'sane' one, eh? he's an odd sort of sane, when we compare him to the gentle ways of Dilsey. I guess compared to Mrs. Compson, he's more aware of what's going on around him, at least. I really couldn't say I rooted for him though. I think if I was to 'root' for anyone in the family, it'd be Caddie, or Miss Quentin.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Why would you root for Miss Quentin????

She needed to be slapped around,but Dilsey and Miss Compson kept interfering.I was hoping so bad that Jason would put Miss Quentin in her place,but Dilsey kept meddling,and that was the only reason I didn't like her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce
    Am I the only one who was rooting for Jason??

He should've beat the crap out of Quentin when she was whoring around town,and Caddy dosen't deserve to see her daughter anyway,seeing as how it was her who gave Quentin up in the first place.

Jason is the only one in the family with any sense.
    Some critics have caled Jason a sadst. He may be, but I don't find anything in the novel that quite reaches to that level. He's not Hitler. But, he is a mean S-O-B who really draws no sympathy. For what does he deserve any? He steals form his sister, he goes back on his bargins, and he doesn't really care for Quentin at all, her well being. I'm not rooting for him in the least.

I also think you're being unfair to Caddy. Sure she may have made some mistakes in her youth, but she cares for her daughter. She has love in her heart. Jason doesn't have any, at all.

Yes, Ry, you must be the only one rooting for Jason. But he is a great character.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Yeh maybe I have been kind of hard on Caddy because she did have a loving relationship with Benjy,but I felt that Jason had the potential to bring some sort of structure to the family.Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part,but I had faith that Jason's character would transcend to a compassionate individual in the end and bring some sort of equilibrium to the family.Oh well I guess.

He was mean,but you gotta love him.

did you love them Caddy did you love them When they touched me I died

Poor Caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce
    Why would you root for Miss Quentin????

She needed to be slapped around,but Dilsey and Miss Compson kept interfering.I was hoping so bad that Jason would put Miss Quentin in her place,but Dilsey kept meddling,and that was the only reason I didn't like her.
    Because she was brought up without any parents, where the only person who gave her affection (Dilsey) was ridiculed for it, and with an uncle who not only stole from her the only things her mother ever gave her (the checks), but made a daily effort to make her realize how hated and worthless she was. She had no encouragement to behave well, and the only discipline she received was the constant threat of violence.

That's why I'm rooting for Quentin.

And, Ry, I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop advocating physical violence against the women in this story, because it's making me very uncomfortable and unhappy, and I'd really not like to think that sort of thing of you.

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    Jason is so full of contradictions, so hypocritical. He has every opportunity to put her in her place, but never does. With his character, if he really wanted to, it seems to me that neither Dilsey nor Mrs. Compson could, or even would, stop him. He's stuck between thinking he's the only competent member of the family and the most victimized of them all. The notorious "job" he didn't get? (I'm a little unsure, but I think that was the job he was supposed to get with Caddie's husband?) So what, move on; he has every opportunity to do so at his job, but he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity when it presents itself. His boss even says "You'd be a good business man if you let yourself, Jason." But all Jason is capable of is to be insulting.

Why root for Miss Quentin? She got lost in the shuffle of everyone else's drama, she never had a chance. Her ending is of course ambivalent, but I couldn't help hoping she found some sort of happiness with her red-tie man, though that's wishful thinking and I'm pretty sure she was doomed not to.

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    Because she was brought up without any parents, where the only person who gave her affection (Dilsey) was ridiculed for it, and with an uncle who not only stole from her the only things her mother ever gave her (the checks), but made a daily effort to make her realize how hated and worthless she was. She had no encouragement to behave well, and the only discipline she received was the constant threat of violence.

That's why I'm rooting for Quentin.

And, Ry, I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop advocating physical violence against the women in this story, because it's making me very uncomfortable and unhappy, and I'd really not like to think that sort of thing of you.

I do not condone or advocate violence of any kind,especially against women,and I am truly sorry if I have made you unhappy in any way.I just really don't like licentiously behaving people,that's all.Again please accept my apology because I don't like violence at all,and I think that you are a really intelligent and cool chick.I wasn't trying to make that impression on anyone.

I'm Sorry Em!!
    Last edited by Ryduce; 04-13-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks, Ry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad, either.

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    I agree with Ry. Emily is a cool chick!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast