Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Literature Network Annual Short Story Competition '06

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

And as the poll seems to be locked and done, may I be first to congratulate the writer of The Swan. You did it!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Well, looks like the one I wanted to win won, so I'm happy about that. They were all good though. Well done to all who entered.
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25028&dateline=116563  2865
    I may disagree strongly with what you have to say, but I will die to defend your right to say it.

X (or) Y=X and Y=-X Jean-Baptiste's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, congratulations to the author of The Swan! And to the second, third, and fourth place winners: Thank you--your stories were all very enjoyable, well written, and unique.

Do we now get to find out who made the stories? Do we get to actually discuss them? I'd be very interested to know why we variously voted the way we did. I suppose it's an allowable question, being that the polls are not anonymous.
    These fragments I have shored against my ruins

James Joyce, the pirate. Why don't you write books people can read? -Nora Barnacle

Insupportable claim: Reading my stories will make you a better person. Do your best to prove me right. http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=20367

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste View Post
    Yes, congratulations to the author of The Swan! And to the second, third, and fourth place winners: Thank you--your stories were all very enjoyable, well written, and unique.

Do we now get to find out who made the stories? Do we get to actually discuss them? I'd be very interested to know why we variously voted the way we did. I suppose it's an allowable question, being that the polls are not anonymous.
    Good thought Jean-B. I would like to know why people voted the way they did. I accidentally explained my thoughts in a post within this thread after I voted.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Well, after a nail biting few days the Short Story Competition is finally over!

Congratulations to Snowpetal for ‘The Swan’; an excellent short story and a well deserved winner.

Well done also to all the other entrants. The quality was consistently high, which made it such an exciting competition right up to the end.

A big thank you to Sheherazade, Admin and the Literature Network itself for organising and hosting the competition.

Looking forward to next year’s competition!

Zippy.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin.

Blog Entries
    How come I can't find Snowpetal in the members list? Who is Snowpetal?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    How come I can't find Snowpetal in the members list? Who is Snowpetal?
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...er.php?u=18712
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Thanks Scher. How come she's not in the member's list? Or am I doing something wrong. Isn't it in alphabetical order?

Congratulations Snowpetal.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries

Question

Well, I suppose I can safely say that I was On Terrapin Pond . And yes, I am aware that I voted for myself. I taught all of you that if you truly believed your own story to be best, to vote for it. Like Virgil, I found things in each story that I both loved and thing with which I had problems. I could not choose between the other three. I finally eliminated one. The other two I read and reread. Then I decided that my own was as good at least, so I just went with it. If I have no faith in my own work, do I have a right to ask others to do so?

But this is the first time I have ever voted for myself, and frankly, I'm glad I didn't win. I've felt bad ever since I cast that vote
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie

Blog Entries
    Oh, that was you Pen? Hey very nice. Let me tell you my wife loved it and implored me to vote for it. I almost did, but there was something about The Killing Word that kept drawing me back.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Oh, that was you Pen? Hey very nice. Let me tell you my wife loved it and implored me to vote for it. I almost did, but there was something about The Killing Word that kept drawing me back.
    Please thank your wife for me, Virg. You have to go with your own gut feeling. I am not at all hurt or upset. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and considered voting for it, that's a plus in my book!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, brother, very well done. I really thought your story was well-written, but I guess it wasn't the genre I was in the mood for. All the same, you continue to impress. Another arena in which I hope to follow in your footsteps. Or, more accurately, to sit in each footprint, marveling at the impact it's made, before leaping to the next.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Between the pages of whatever I'm reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Well, I suppose I can safely say that I was On Terrapin Pond . And yes, I am aware that I voted for myself. I taught all of you that if you truly believed your own story to be best, to vote for it. Like Virgil, I found things in each story that I both loved and thing with which I had problems. I could not choose between the other three. I finally eliminated one. The other two I read and reread. Then I decided that my own was as good at least, so I just went with it. If I have no faith in my own work, do I have a right to ask others to do so?

But this is the first time I have ever voted for myself, and frankly, I'm glad I didn't win. I've felt bad ever since I cast that vote
    Hi, Pen,

I have to tell you that my vote was between your story and the one I finally voted for, The Killing Word. Your opening paragraph really got my attention and did a great job of setting the tone for the story. It had great bits of imagery in it, as well. Really, well done, Pen!
    Life is not a static display. It took change to be where you are today--effect the change to be somewhere else tomorrow.
    ~MJ Ravenscroft

Blog Entries
    I had to choose between this one and yours Pen, I chose it coz of the story, that was my selection criteria. And, I have to say this too that yours was the best written, everything was so perfect, the flow, it wasnt slow-paced and the reader wanted to know what next. It was the best written amongst all the stories.

Maybe, we should have different sections under which we could make our vote. Something like Best theme, Best Style and similar categories. Perhaps, Scher would like to think about it. As, I found something or the other good in each story, and it will be really nice if each story got its due credit, in whichever aspect it excelled.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 01-02-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: comments
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Dear All,

Unless the authors of the short stories post their stories for a critical analysis, please try not to comment on them.

Those finalists who would like to wish receive such commentary should start separate threads rather than posting here.

Thanks!

Maddie> I understand the difficulties you have faced while deciding on the story you voted; however, this is a short story contest and it is hard to have such divisions for short stories. We, all said and done, try to pick an overall winner; a story which manages to satisfy our expectations.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast