Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Literature Network Annual Short Story Competition '06

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

The last leg of the competition's voting turn out bothered me somewhat. Let's look at it objectively. We normally have, what, eight stories to choose from? That means there are eight authors. That should be eight votes right there. If you cannot bear to vote for yourself as back when I entered the Assassination of Abraham Linclon, but voted for Robin's story, or this round, where Kelly freely admited he had a story in the line-up but voted for the eventual winner, then surely you can choose another writer's story as worthy of voting for. And if you decide your own story is best, go with your heart, but vote! Others reading the stories, I urge you to do the same. Someone worked a long time on their story, and certainly among such a group of readers as ourselves someone should find it interesting! I got one vote on the above mentioned story, and it came from a total stranger. I PMed him to thank him for the vote and we had a nice chat. Someone has to vote or the competition soon becomes tiresome. We are a literature forum. And no matter who writes the story, it's literature. Read and vote!
    Last edited by Pendragon; 09-05-2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spelling! Will I ever learn?
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Very good point, Pen.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    I did notice that the number of views of the stories were just a tad higher than the number of voters. Keep in mind that it is the begining of the school year or in the middle of summer for some, even I had a hard time getting a vote in on time (and I didn't vote for myself, because I read the stories and found two others better, in my personal opinion). I have to wonder though, if you had time to read all of the stories, then you must have had time to click on which you liked best?

Perhaps the next round will be better because of the timing, perhaps not, but with the number of active members we have in the forum, it does seem that there is a little room for wonder as to where the voters are hiding...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    The last leg of the competition's voting turn out bothered me somewhat. Let's look at it objectively. We normally have, what, eight stories to choose from? That means there are eight authors. That should be eight votes right there. If you cannot bear to vote for yourself as back when I entered the Assassination of Abraham Linclon, but voted for Robin's story, or this round, where Kelly freely admited he had a story in the line-up but voted for the eventual winner, then surely you can choose another writer's story as worthy of voting for. And if you decide your own story is best, go with your heart, but vote! Others reading the stories, I urge you to do the same. Someone worked a long time on their story, and certainly among such a group of readers as ourselves someone should find it interesting! I got one vote on the above mentioned story, and it came from a total stranger. I PMed him to thank him for the vote and we had a nice chat. Someone has to vote or the competition soon becomes tiresome. We are a literature forum. And no matter who writes the story, it's literature. Read and vote!
    I have to admit that up till now, I haven't check out any of the stories posted, due to my free time limitation. And I did have this intention to vote blindly for certain names, due to my personal preferrences. But I quickly realized that would be completly unfair to others! Ok, I'll try to read them and hopefully vote for one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannanigan View Post
    I did notice that the number of views of the stories were just a tad higher than the number of voters. Keep in mind that it is the begining of the school year or in the middle of summer for some, even I had a hard time getting a vote in on time (and I didn't vote for myself, because I read the stories and found two others better, in my personal opinion). I have to wonder though, if you had time to read all of the stories, then you must have had time to click on which you liked best?

Perhaps the next round will be better because of the timing, perhaps not, but with the number of active members we have in the forum, it does seem that there is a little room for wonder as to where the voters are hiding...
    Hi Shannanigan!

Indeed, I did read every single story, time not being a factor for me, I have way too much of it on my hands. And when I voted, I voted for the one that had the most meaning to me. It was a tougher choice this round, and timing was critical to the vote count I'm certain, but still, even in past rounds there are so few votes for the stories. And we went all most half the month this time with only 4 being cast! That was stunning. BTW, I found your story well written and interesting, so do not demean yourself. You may yet find the winning circle! Good luck! Pen.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    The number of the view is not a reliable source on how many members actually have read the stories as it is quite possible that the same members opened the same stories more than once. However, I am also a little disappointed with the low number of votes cast. It is true that during the summer months many members are away but still, like Pen pointed out, one would expect to see more interest in a short story competition on a literary forum like ours, where members come together because of their dedication to literature. I think it is a privilege to be able to have a say in the outcome of a competition of this sort!

Hopefully, there will be more members voting in the upcoming polls. For now, please keep sending your stories for October (the deadline is September 30th)!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Maybe we should all include a link in our signature reminding people to read the stories and vote!
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    good idea Aimus once I find out how to insert a link I'll do it

i've got another question about the rules: can we submit stories we've published in the general writing section before? It's happened twice now and only one of the two people who did it were honest enought to say so and change their story (let's call them Robin H. or R.Hood).
    I figured if we post a story in the general writing section, ppl might read it and remember the author (even if he/she deletes the story afterwards), so it wouldn't be anonymous any longer.
    I mean, that's fine with me, except I refrained from submitting a story I've posted in General Writing before, although I'd really have liked to submit it. Now others are doing it anyway, so that makes me a bit grumpy (I'm not talking about you, Robin). Why stick to the rules if the others don't? *bummer*

I mean, could we have some clear rule? like, Admin or Scher say 'no' and nobody'll do it or they say 'ok' so everybody can feel free to recycle stories?
    sorry to be such a pain in the ... opposite end of the body than the one that starts with an 'a'

In the initial days of the competition, there have been some couple of incidents that stories which had appeared in the Forum earlier were accepted in the competition (because it was not openly stated in the rules till that moment). However, now it is not allowed. We would like all the stories submitted to be original works and editing an already submitted story does not qualify as an 'original' work.

Even though we do our best to check the authenticity of the stories submitted for competition if there are incidents we overlook, please do let us know through PM. Such entries will be disqualified immediately (even if they are the winners) because it is not fair on other entrants.
    ~
    ~

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's weird -- I don't ever remember putting my work on the forums until after the close of each respective elimination.
    Last edited by RobinHood3000; 09-13-2006 at 03:03 PM.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oh? I thought you said something along those lines, Robin. sorry if I misunderstood you
    thanks for the clarification, Scher

Blog Entries

Exclamation

*laughs* I don't think I'd have to worry much there! The stories I've put on the forum for reading have been from my Shadow mysteries, and there I'm limited to around 500 to 600 words. Try writing a story that is a mystery under those restrictions! The one that went up on John Olson's The Shadow Magizine in Review Website last week made number 28 for me. I still have a dozen lined up with the editor, and no plans to stop. I've put them under "Brain Teasers" before. I have many ideas for short stories, many outlines, but I'm sometimes lazy when it comes to writing. Got to get back at it though!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie

The last week to submit stories for the competition's October elimination (deadline: September 30th). I would also like to remind that this is your last chance to submit stories for this year's competition as in November and December we will be voting to determine the winner of 2006!

Good luck to all those who are planning to enter the competition!
    ~
    ~

Going once...
    ~
    ~

Going twice...
    ~