Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Literature Network Annual Short Story Competition '06

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

May I offer my congratulations to the June winner, proving that even a Dragon can be gracious in defeat. Best of luck in the finals for you! My story did get one vote, (thanks someone!); I voted for another myself, so as not to gild the lily...
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if this has been answered already or not, but is there an August elimination or no?
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pendragon, I don't mean to push, but...

PLEASE comment on my story!!

Ahem...sorry for the loss of composure, but I was extremely flattered that you voted for it (I hold your opinion in high esteem), and I could not help but wonder why.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rabid reader
    I don't know if this has been answered already or not, but is there an August elimination or no?
    Yes, there is an August elimination, which will take place in August. Meanwhile, those who are interested can submit their stories till July 31st.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WHAT??

Aww, nuts...I thought the deadline was the end of June, so I rushed in a piece...
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood3000
    Pendragon, I don't mean to push, but...

PLEASE comment on my story!!

Ahem...sorry for the loss of composure, but I was extremely flattered that you voted for it (I hold your opinion in high esteem), and I could not help but wonder why.
    I voted for your story, Robin, because I am a huge fan of the surprise ending. When your, ah, hero, finds out that he is now framed for what is going to seem like a rape/murder to the law, no matter how much he may protest, and describes it as the coroner wishing his entrails were already in a jar, it's pretty drastic and dramatic. And of course there are the two enigmatic statements made by Eve: "You look cute when you're unconscious." and "I can't believe I slept with that creep." It makes you wonder if she isn't some type of psycho, taking one last victim with her to the grave. Not bad at all.

BTW, I wrote The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln for that contest and would appreciate your thoughts. Good luck, mon ami!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    BTW, I wrote The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln for that contest and would appreciate your thoughts. Good luck, mon ami!
    Pen,

If you would like to get some feedback on your story, it would be a good idea to start a new thread and post it in the General Writing section for everyone to read and review.

~
    ~

Fresh, Fair and Innocent Adelheid's Avatar
    Are we allowed to submit more than one story in one round?

edited: ah sorry... I just checked the rules, and it say we can't. Also, I won't get to know the author of the Killing Word until the end of the year because he/she won.
    Last edited by Adelheid; 07-26-2006 at 09:35 AM.
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

Btw, Pendragon, I really, really enjoyed your story of the assasination of Abraham Lincoln. The plot is fresh and exciting. The ony thing that could have been improved is the title. To me, it sounds like a lecture or a historical documentary- which is NOT one of my favourite genres. But it was excellent- I didn't get to vote, because by the time I found out about this writing section, the thread was closed.

I thought the Killing Word was superb too- who wrote it? Well Done to all of you!
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

2000 words are too short to produce anything! It severely cripples one's creativity!!! Can we change this please? Pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelheid
    I thought the Killing Word was superb too- who wrote it? Well Done to all of you!
    Just one thing to say to that :
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    6. Those who enter the competition agree to keep the information on their identities and stories confidential till the end of that year (only the Admin and Moderators will have access to that information). Those who breech this rule will be disqualified automatically.
    I have a plan: attack!

True. I found that out after I wrote the post. and I corrected myself 3 posts ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelheid
    2000 words are too short to produce anything! It severely cripples one's creativity!!! Can we change this please? Pretty please?
    Hi Adelheid,

It is nice to see you back on the Forum

To answer your question regarding the word limit, if you scan this thread very quickly, you will notice that this issue has been dealt with couple of times.

Competitions aim to choose a winner through a challenge they set. We don't have subject/genre restrictions but would like the stories to be no more than 2000 words. It is a challenge but that is what competitions aim.

Please also note that the winners are chosen by other Forum members. I am not sure how many of us would be willing to read 5000-word stories to choose a winner. Many members who kindly read the stories and vote in the polls do not submit stories themselves but do it out of a literary interest and good Forum-camaraderie.

I would also like to repeat that the stories that have been submitted so far rarely reach the 2000-word limit and none are lacking because of their shortness. Also, the number of submissions we receive proves that even though it is challenging, writing good stories within this limit is not an impossible task and rather than crippling their creativity, it seems to fuel it!
    ~
    ~

Last chance to submit your stories for the August elimination! Tomorrow I will post the new poll.
    ~
    ~

Now that August elimination is in progress, we are accepting stories for the October leg. The deadline for that one is September 30th.

Good writing and good luck everyone!
    ~
    ~

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast