Thread: Beloved by Toni Morrison

Thumbs up Beloved by Toni Morrison

I just finished reading the novel Beloved by Toni Morrison.
    I recommend everyone to read it. Its confusing, especially how the author foreshadows some events and also flashes back.
    I'd like to talk about it with all of you. I'd like yo know some of your oipinions if you read it.
    Last edited by miss_07; 03-29-2006 at 02:00 PM.

fated loafer
    I found it to be one of those books people describe as a "treasure". It's precious and precocious, and mostly hard to follow, confusing, and produces frown lines. There were many times halfway down a page I had to go back a few paragraphs till I realized this was a totally different time period or place.

yeh, I also found that the book was confusing too; but it is really well written.
    Especially the begining of the story. The author starts talking about a baby ghost and the baby that died in which Sethe could feel its blood. I was asking myself who is this baby ghost and why is it hunting Sethe's house? . When they first met her, She didn't talk.. it didn't make sense. Why doesn't she talk and why does she only sleep....It really didn't make sense until the very end.
    I also got scared of Beloved especially when she got power over Sethe. It seemed that she wanted to kill her but at the same time she kissed her.. and "loved her." What did she symbolize? Love? or Evil?

MMMmmm!! You all are making me want to read this book right now! I recently read Song of Solomon (my first by Toni Morrison), and I've only heard excellent things about Beloved!
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

Is it a good book.. Song of Solomon?
    I think you'l like Beloved. lol

I think Beloved is a great book but I feel that Morrison's other books like The Bluest Eye and Sula are far better. Especially the descriptions provided in Sula. And the many many ways Nel and Sula are contrasted in the novel. Good stuff.

I only read the bluest eye, I agree that her books can be confusing, but all the same they're really moving. I cried a lot

Quote Originally Posted by miss_07
    Is it a good book.. Song of Solomon?
    It's excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    I only read the bluest eye...they're really moving. I cried a lot
    I cried through the last couple of pages of Song of Solomon. Closed the book, cried some more, then re-read the first chapter. I'm looking forward to reading more of her works. Morrison's imagery and poetic word choice is incredibly stunning.

What's Song of Solomon about? Sounds interesting!
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.

Quote Originally Posted by genoveva
    Morrison's imagery and poetic word choice is incredibly stunning.
    Yes, she is a very good author. What is Blue eyes about? Don't tell me the whole story but just a resume.

It is a great book. Have you read 'Property' by Valerie Martin? Another goodie.

Everyone. I love BELOVED! it is the most amazing kind of story i have ever read in my life. It is graphic, but very real. I am writing my research paper on Beloved, but i haven't thought of any specific thesis or issues that i want to address in my paper yet. Please, can anyone give me any ideas?

Smile postmodern elements in beloved

Responding to the first comment...I really enjoyed Morrison's writing style in Beloved. I agree it was a bit confusing how she went back and forth in time through out the novel, but I think that is one of the novel's greatest strengths. The concept of time is one that is explored by numerous postmodern authors, and Morrison does an excellent job at portraying the idea that time is not a linear function. One of the most prominent themes in postmodern literature is the playfulness of the text, and Morrison uses the flashbacks in time to accomplish this. I'm curious as to what other people think about the postmodern elements in Beloved. Does anyone else like the novel because of this?