Thread: The Sun Also Rises, anti romanticism

The Sun Also Rises, anti romanticism

This is my first time posting here, but I've been lurking in the forums for a while now, I really enjoy this site.

Anyways, I've got a quick problem that I was hoping to get some help with. I am currently writing an English paper on the anti romantic aspects in the novel The Sun Also Rises. I am having a bit of trouble finding good sources. We have to quote a number of reputable critics.

I have the famous Spilka article, "The Death of Love in The Sun Also Rises," but it seems like every book I find in the library just has a copy of that article! I've found about five good sources including that one, but I'd like one or two more. We are allowed to use internet sources, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out.

Basically I'm looking for a critics opinion on romanticism and the "death of love" in The Sun Also Rises. Any help in direction to an internet source would be much appreciated! Also, sorry if this isn't really what this forum is for or if this is the wrong place :\

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    I haven't any specific recommendations, but I'd suggest you read some general stuff on Romanticism, which should be easy to find, and try to figure out for yourself how it relates to SAR. The obvious pointer would seem to be the main character's war wound castration and his Spanish fishing trip. All of this can be seen in the context of, and in contrast to, Romantic identification with nature. You might also think about Romanticism as a generally northern European phenomenon and contrast it with elements of Spanish culture, perhaps exemplified by the bull ring.

Those are very good points, thank you. I've been researching romanticism, and I really like your ideas, but the teacher is making us use known critics almost exclusively for this paper, so I need real sources, and I can't draw the connections myself

I appreciate the response though!