Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Neverland

Finding Neverland

Do you like the movie Finding Neverland? I think it is a very sad movie I just wanded to get other people's opinion

I loved that movie, it was really sad and tragic though... it was really great

One of my favourite movies ever... So much emotions interwine, beauty and sorrow, hope, faith, powerlessness, fate....
    "What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?"

Temporary Visitor

Thumbs up Finding Neverland

It was a great movie...........and a wonderful story!! I would recomend it to anyone who loves the story of Peter Pan.

The movie was really extremely good but it made me cry on certain places.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Temporary Visitor
    Hey pen- I love your animated picture of the blue bird- I love birds too
    "Romance, who loves to nod and sing,
    With drowsy head and folded wing,
    Among the green leaves as they shake
    Far down within some shadowy lake
    To me a painted paroquet
    Hath been--a most familiar bird--"

Unhappy Not true to the author

Hi there -now you are all going to hate me but I did not like the Finding Neverland movie at all. At first I thought it was nice but when I started doing some research into Barrie's life and such I felt the movie was a discredit to this remarkable man. come on Johnny Depp....He's gorgeous and he is like what 6 foot tall. Barrie himself was no moer than five foot tall and was a tragic romantic who was beset by tragedy all through his life not to mmetion his inability to satisfy his wife Mary Ansel. Not once in the move was it shown how he suffered as a child, losing his own innocence when his brother dies in an accident at age 12. James was only 6 and his mother was so bereft with grief she couldn't function. Being clever james decides to take on the persona of his brother David to bring his mother back to the living. it is all in his biography of Margaret Ogilivy his mother and in the first appearance of Peter in the little white bird where the prtagonnist is a young boy named David. The movie was just that a hollywood fabrication. It doesn't even show George Lewellyn Davies whom James Barrie became good friends with and actually helped throughout his illness before he passes away.
    If you love Peter Pan the author's life is just as fascinating. Please forgive my vehement dislike of the movie but it didn't relly depict the author.

Catherine
    I really loved the movie-I have seen it many times already....but when i asw it for the first time it was the best-yes, it was sad and it made me cry too but I loved the emotions in the film........Johny depp is my favourite actor and together with Kate winslett they were very nice couple

Hermione and Ron <3<3<3 captlillyhook's Avatar
    That was such a lovely movie...made me sob, though. It's the first movie I ever cried in.

Okay I don't hate you for not liking the movie but some of your reasoning is falsely stated. Finding Neverland was made to show what could have been the reason for J.M. Barrie to write Peter Pan and what he might have been going through during the opening production of the play. It wasn't to show the exact height and personality J.M. Barrie had...

I personally think that the fact that they didn't cover too much of his childhood was a good thing because it would have brought the movie and a lot of everyone's thoughts about J.M. Barrie to a total distraught. But none the less, they did mention his brothers death and mothers grief in the movie which was a shocker to those who had no clue that that had happened in his life but from what the movie did tell the audience, connected a lot of open thoughts as to why J.M. Barrie wrote Peter Pan.
    "It's all the work of the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us..."

Blog Entries
    It Is a wonderful movie!!!!!!!! but it also IS a terrible biography of J.M. Barrie.
    Watching it as a movie, i'd probably give it at least an 8/10 (i only saw it once like 3 years ago). but watching it as a biography, it is terrible. so, depending on why you watch it, will change your reason why you like it or dislike it.
    Pitiful creatur of darkness,
    What kind of world have you known?
    God give me courage to guide me,
    You are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    Hi there -now you are all going to hate me but I did not like the Finding Neverland movie at all. At first I thought it was nice but when I started doing some research into Barrie's life and such I felt the movie was a discredit to this remarkable man. come on Johnny Depp....He's gorgeous and he is like what 6 foot tall. Barrie himself was no moer than five foot tall and was a tragic romantic who was beset by tragedy all through his life not to mmetion his inability to satisfy his wife Mary Ansel. Not once in the move was it shown how he suffered as a child, losing his own innocence when his brother dies in an accident at age 12. James was only 6 and his mother was so bereft with grief she couldn't function. Being clever james decides to take on the persona of his brother David to bring his mother back to the living. it is all in his biography of Margaret Ogilivy his mother and in the first appearance of Peter in the little white bird where the prtagonnist is a young boy named David. The movie was just that a hollywood fabrication. It doesn't even show George Lewellyn Davies whom James Barrie became good friends with and actually helped throughout his illness before he passes away.
    If you love Peter Pan the author's life is just as fascinating. Please forgive my vehement dislike of the movie but it didn't relly depict the author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    It Is a wonderful movie!!!!!!!! but it also IS a terrible biography of J.M. Barrie.
    Watching it as a movie, i'd probably give it at least an 8/10 (i only saw it once like 3 years ago). but watching it as a biography, it is terrible. so, depending on why you watch it, will change your reason why you like it or dislike it.
    Yeah, the boys all died tragically too, but, as was said it isn't MEANT to be a biography, if it was so many people would not have seen it, a big company probably wouldn't have produced it, it would be different in a great many ways. There's not comparison for a movie BASED on a person's life and a BIOGRAPHY, they are two very different entities. Stalking, Oedipus Complex, anorexia, homosexuality, and pedophilia, are among SOME of the things Barrie has been speculated to suffer from/practice, by the ever more sickening minds of modern men. Shall they have recorded all these things also? To cover EVERY aspect of a person's life is impossible, in two hours or two hundred, even if they were doing a biography. I don't hate you for your opinion, that would be stupid, but your ilconceived "logic" frustrates me to no end. Please do not persist in comparing apples and oranges.

I love the film, but I don't make the mistake of thinking it's a biography of Barrie. I know that there are some things which weren't true, but it's a film, and I don't think it says anywhere "this is the true story of how Barrie came to write Peter Pan..." You have to distinguish between a documentary, where you would expect the truth, and a film, made through someones creative imagination. And I don't think Johnny Depp is 6' tall. He's listed as 5'10'', but he looks very slight and smaller to me. However, that's not important. He's a brilliant actor, and the film was amazing. It took me by surprise, as I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did, and it made me cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Draven View Post
    Yeah, the boys all died tragically too, but, as was said it isn't MEANT to be a biography, if it was so many people would not have seen it, a big company probably wouldn't have produced it, it would be different in a great many ways.
    It would have been very much like "The Lost Boys", a docudrama produced by the BBC in 1978. It lacks the sugary sweetness of "Finding Neverland" (which I enjoyed a great deal... for what it is) and the twinkle of Johnny Depp's clean-shaven smile (ditto), but it more than compensates for that with authenticity and a performance by Ian Holm as JMB that fits nearly everything I've read about the man, down to his cough.

By the way, not all of the boys died tragically. George died in WW1, Michael drowned a few years later with his (boy?)friend Rupert Buxton, and Peter committed suicide in 1960. But Jack lived to be 65, and Nico (who wasn't mentioned in Finding Neverland, but existed nonetheless) lived to help make the BBC film... both dying unremarkably.

how do I navigate this site?!?

can somebody please tell me how to start my own thread please, I can't figure out why there simply isn't a "Start a new thread" option ANYWHERE?
    Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast