Thread: philip roth

philip roth

I've just read Philip Roth's "The Human Stain". It made a great impression on me. It seems to be one of the most remarkable books of American literature of the last years. Is anyone agree with me?

I didn't read that one, but I just finished American Pastoral a few weeks ago. I found it extremely hard to put down, and very thought provoking.
    Don't trust yourself.

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    I didn't read those..but I've read Portnoy's Compaint and I enjoyed it immensely. I have American Pastoral but I haven't read it yet.
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hey ED, "The Human Stain" is one of my all time fave books... I'm gonna re-read it one of these days....
    I've read a handful of Roth's books and liked all of them, but the Human Stain was a fave...
    what did you like about it?

Procrastinator
    Can I be controversial and say that I didn't like it? This is only my second post on this (or any) forum so I feel quite bad but it was on the reading list for my uni course this semester and I liked it least out of all the texts. I just felt that it laboured the point and said the same thing in as many different ways possible so that the novel was twice as long as the plot merited. The protagonist dies and there is still a third of the novel left! (Maybe I'm just bitter because I have so many texts to read and not enough time to read them in).

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lady
    I just felt that it laboured the point and said the same thing in as many different ways possible so that the novel was twice as long as the plot merited.
    Too many notes?

Procrastinator
    Yes I think so. There were aspects of it I quite liked but overall 'too many notes' pretty much covers it.

Thumbs up A Roth enthusiast is born...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lady View Post
    Yes I think so. There were aspects of it I quite liked but overall 'too many notes' pretty much covers it.
    And just which notes did you have in mind?
    **mild spoilers ahead - read with caution**
    I just read When She Was Good over the weekend and liked it immensely - I plan now to read at least Portnoy's Complaint and perhaps another of his before the summer expires. However, I can in some small way agree with your complaint, Dark Lady (though I've not read that one yet), that he can go on and on a bit; but in this particular novel it actually had rather an intensifying effect. I like that one gets a more or less sympathetic view of all the characters - but perhaps I just think it's appropriate to this work, as Lucy Nelson, the "she" of the title, increasingly spends a great deal of her dialogue judging and accusing everyone around her, coming up with wild conspiracy theories involving her family in order to preserve her precious delusion of being a perfect mother. During the last third or so, with her ranting picking up intensity with nearly ever single page (really quite impressive writing, I think), those other perspectives are, I think, quite necessary, especially considering that she very nearly blows them out of the novel!

Haven't read the Human Stain, but "Goodbye Colombus" is one of my all time favorites. Portnoy's Complaint is great as well. I'm currently reading his "Patrimony," and I'll likely make American Pastoral my next. The Human Stain sounds good, I might give that a look.

Blog Entries
    I read Everyman not too long ago and found it a good novel, but perhaps not great. His writing style is quite good, but I'm not sure he really penetrated the heart of his material. This was my first and only Roth novel. I should try to read more.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

I don't know whether Sabbath's Theater is considered one of Roth's major works, but I thought it was astounding. Puppeteer Mickey Sabbath is broke and alone, thanks to a life dedicated to deception and manipulation. A trip to NYC for a friend's funeral has him visiting all his old transgressions and some new ones.

I loved Roth's corrosive humor and his fearless psychological investigation of this terrifying wreck. The novel may offend the tender sensibilities of some readers, but that's their tough luck.

After not having read a single Roth book last year, I'm making up for it this year. I've read so far The Ghost Writer and Portnoy's Complaint. Now I'm reading Zuckerman Unbound, in order to complete the Zuckerman trilogy. I can safely say that he's currently my favourite living novelist.

Blog Entries
    I've been meaning to read Philip Roth for a long time now. I'm sure I will finally get round to it very soon.
    'For sale: baby shoes, never worn'. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by breathtest View Post
    I've been meaning to read Philip Roth for a long time now. I'm sure I will finally get round to it very soon.
    ditto

Well, you both should. The 'Zuckerman Bound' trilogy is a great start if you want to know his lighter, funnier side. If you prefer to delve immediately into his mature, sober work, try the '90s 'American' trilogy. I've read nine novels by him so far and haven't been disappointed once.