Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAN I CONVINCE SOMEONE THAT HAMLET WAS MAD? please read further

CAN I CONVINCE SOMEONE THAT HAMLET WAS MAD? please read further

[COLOR=Royal Blue]Hey Guys...A few quick things-I'm new to this forum, I'm from Queensland Australia, I'm open-minded and I enjoy critically analysing shakespeare's work (especially 'Hamlet').
    And I, like alot of the other people asking questions on this forum are studying Hamlet at school (yr 12), and I'm in the process of writing up an adaptation to Hamlet (That's how I came across the interesting forum)! (4th Dec 06-update-have finished school and Hamlet adaptation...but still fill free to read)

...This particular thread that I've been following, which talks about the subject of 'madness' and how well it correlates to Hamlet himself, has sparked my interest quite abit. I agree to the notion that Hamlet was not mad although he portrays being it brilliantly. I believe that he still has his wits about him, and I further believe that Hamlet himself takes a very critical eye to the world around him...which I find really cool.

So, MY question is...'Is it possible to position an audience to believe that Hamlet WAS actually mad?' This would be a hard thing to do I believe, but anyone who know's alot about 'Hamlet' and is able to deconstruct it, should be able to have the creative ability to argue that Hamlet WAS infact mad...mad as in 'lost in his own world', 'lost ability to reason', and in a more accurate case, perhaps 'paranoia' through thinking that the people around him are part of a filthy conspiracy.

To cut right to the chase though, I'm after someone who can willingly offer me some insite of what quotes, lines, or inferences I could perhaps use from Hamlet, to support IN FAVOUR of the idea that HAMLET IS MAD...

Can anyone help me? I'm very eager to hear any feedback.

Thanks

SIHAc

P.s pronounced 'Sigh-hack'...as in the 'periodic table of elements Si H and Ac'...lol....their atomic numbers' are 14 01 89..as in 14th Jan 89-my birthday!!
    Last edited by SiHAc; 12-04-2006 at 04:13 AM. Reason: have sinced finished Year 12 and the Hamlet adaptation

Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Blog Entries
    well, i'm sorry, but i've never actually read Hamlet . . . but hi anyways. cool name!

Quote Originally Posted by mir
    well, i'm sorry, but i've never actually read Hamlet . . . but hi anyways. cool name!
    Mir,

Ha...yeah I thought it was a pretty neat 'call-sign'.

No problem, but thanks anyways.

SiHAc

No less than you can convince me that he was sane.

Sorry.. I cannot offer up anything more than the parallels with modern life are abundant.
    Last edited by jackyyyy; 03-18-2006 at 05:29 AM.
    Art is art.

Wish I could help...but it's been a while since I've read/studied Hamlet. (I'm in year twelve now and we did it in year ten >.<) Good luck, your question definitely intrigued me! I actually went to see an adaptation of Hamlet in which there were only three people performing, it was really interesting to see how they melded characters together and so on. (that was random, I just felt like mentioning it) Rosencrantz/Guildenstern were played particularly well...all slimy and twitchy. Awesome. IMO.
    <3 Rubrior Quam Rosa. Pallidius Quam Lillia. Pulchrior Quam Omni. Semper In Te Veneratium. <3

Aurelian,

I've seen one adaptation of about five shakespearean plays all put into one play! It was pretty cool seeing the player switch back and forth...again there was only three people in it. It focused on 'shakesperean love'. But I'm veering away from the topic here. Yeah I think Hamlet is an interesting character with heaps to share. I believe there was a lot more to how Hamlet truly felt if you look beyond the language of shakesepeare..but yeah...I'm a pretty random person to!

Thanks for your reply Aurelian.

Wow, that sounds interesting...I'm intrigued! *raises eyebrow* Yay for randomness *high five*
    <3 Rubrior Quam Rosa. Pallidius Quam Lillia. Pulchrior Quam Omni. Semper In Te Veneratium. <3

Blog Entries
    First, you really have to have a clear definition of "mad". You have to be able to get into some of the characters' heads - when Polonius and Gertrude say that Hamlet is mad, what does this really mean. Then you could tranfers these projections of Hamlet over to the character himself.

I once tried to support the "Hamlet is mad theory" in grade 8 - naturally, becase it was grade 8, an abridged version and I didnt really have any analytical skills - it fell through.

HOwever, and I'm sorry I don't have any specific lines (although I can say stay away from "To Be or Not to Be" it won't help), look at the parts where Hamlet is "feigning madness" to notice how he acts, and then look at the parts where he is talking with Rosencrants and Guildenstern - he appears to be in a different state of mind, but if you truly go Freud on him - you might find that he has tried so hard to convey this madness to his mother and the king that it has become him.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Well, like Aurelian I studied Hamlet in year 10 and now I'm in year 12 (we're actually buddies...). I honestly think that I was the only one in my class that actually intrepreted the text as Hamlet being mad.

Unfortunately, as it was a while ago, I can't remember specific quotes from the play to help you with what you're doing, but what about his obsession with things - death, his mother and his uncle and madness itself? Doesn't Hamlet go through a state of self-alienation and, in a way, see himself as the only sane person in the rotten state of Denmark? Doesn't he see himself to think with more clarity than he had ever done before? Now, I don't know much about sanity versus insanity, but from what I've heard, when people are losing their sanity and falling into insanity, they feel that they are beginning to understand things more clearer than other people, but in fact it is that person who is the insane one. Do you get what I'm saying? I probably didn't make myself clearer - sorry 'bout that. A year and a quarter of stinking Senior English can do that to you...

Other than that, there are probably some essays on the net about this kind of stuff.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you can say Hamlet is mad. He has very lecid moments, he is just very dramatic. He has had a boring life in the castle, and then you hit him upsdie the head with a dead father huanting you, a uncle you have to kill, a mother you just found out never really loved your father that much, and a girl friend who openly tries use her charm to manipulate you... Thats pretty over welming and probably hard to deal with, yet his mind is still sharp and his ability to make descissions (although painfully slow) are still made. Hamlet was no more mad then you or I would have been in his postition and if I may say so... I'm not that mad.
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

A thanks to everyone who has offered their opinion in this thread. I've taken special thought to each and every one. Keep the wisdom coming!

SiHAc

Try this link.
    shakespeare.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tragedy_of_Hamlet%2C_Prince_of_Denmark_You_Dec ide_Page#Mental_Illness_in_Hamlet:_Is_Hamlet_Truly _Insane.3F
    Now, all you have to do is get an idea of the symptoms of depression, alcoholism, delusionary behavior, etc, and then teach your actor to express these.

Sounds dangerous.

Good luck, A Yank

Jagtig,

Thanks for the link , I'll check it out...

SiHAc

SiHAc,

Depending on how much wiggle room you have with the play, there is a lot of potential to make Hamlet seem mad to an audience. After all, that was a hot topic of criticism of Hamlet for quite some time. One of the ways that I think Hamlet borders on insanity is in the way that his conflicting senses of duty to father and morality mess with his head. I mean, imagine yourself in his place - having to kill someone to avenge a father who may simply be vindictive, in which case murdering Claudius achieves nothing good or beneficial.

Also, there is plenty of doubt both in Hamlet and the audience about whether or not the ghost is even his father, so maybe this uncertainty creates some odd behavior and internal struggle as well. I think if you take those instances that are traditionally considered evidence of Hamlet's madness and exaggerate or rework them slightly, you will be very successful. I'm going to try and find some titles of critical works that may help.

lit dork
    In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

Youngson, Robert. "The Madness of Prince Hamlet," 1999.

This is one book that will at least give you some quotes and reference points. Hopefully you can get your hands on it; I borrowed it from my university's library some time ago.
    In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast