View Poll Results: Which Bronte sister is your favorite?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charlotte

15 39.47%
  • Emily

15 39.47%
  • Anne

8 21.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bronte Sisters!

Quote Originally Posted by mona amon View Post
    From Chapter 12 onwards, when Mr Rochester bursts into Jane's life on his black horse.
    Ooo, argh, there is some bursting! I saw this bit in the 1944 film, with Orson Welles galloping on his Freudian horse and partaking in other unsubtle Freudian activities. Favourite bit is when Jane sits down and he's standing right by her face telling her that he's hard as india rubber!

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    Ooo, argh, there is some bursting! I saw this bit in the 1944 film, with Orson Welles galloping on his Freudian horse and partaking in other unsubtle Freudian activities. Favourite bit is when Jane sits down and he's standing right by her face telling her that he's hard as india rubber!

I haven't seen that movie in so many years. I've seen every other iteration of Jane, maybe it's time to re-visit that one. Is it done on purpose, do you think, or is it purely accidental?

I'd have to say at this point that Charlotte is my favorite Bronte sister. I loved Jane Eyre, although I haven't reread it since high school. I like Wuthering Heights, but honestly I remember very little about it, except that I read it. It just didn't have the impact on me that Jane Eyre had. I tried Villette and gave it up about halfway through. I haven't read anything by Anne. Maybe I'll check out one of her books this year.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    ...with perhaps a sensitive point in the middle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anFA0TDE7WI
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post

I'd have to say at this point that Charlotte is my favorite Bronte sister. I loved Jane Eyre, although I haven't reread it since high school. I like Wuthering Heights, but honestly I remember very little about it, except that I read it. It just didn't have the impact on me that Jane Eyre had. I tried Villette and gave it up about halfway through. I haven't read anything by Anne. Maybe I'll check out one of her books this year.
    I’ve read Jane Eyre twice and gave up reading Villette just like you did. It’s one of the two books that I couldn’t finish; other is Tom Jones by Henry Fielding. Tenant of the Wildfell Hall is a good novel by Anne to start with.

Villette doesn't get going for a while and it's hardgoing with all the French but it's quite an interesting book and very intense- more so than Jane Eyre which is relatively light in comparison. Very depressing though.

Quote Originally Posted by mona amon View Post
    ...with perhaps a sensitive point in the middle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anFA0TDE7WI
    Oh yes, of course! Is it just me or does he thrust himself a little forward slightly when he says that line?

Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    I haven't seen that movie in so many years. I've seen every other iteration of Jane, maybe it's time to re-visit that one. Is it done on purpose, do you think, or is it purely accidental?
    It has to be on purpose. Too much Freudian flourishes for it not to be.
    Last edited by qimissung; 02-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.

How can I answer this poll? It would have to be more specific for me to do so. In terms of writing, I can't have a favourite. Emily is my favourite for use of poetic language and imagery. Charlotte is the best for a more political take on Victorian life (and she's probably the most realistic of the 3). Anne has an entirely different style- pious yes but by no means boring or untalented.
    Away from their writing, their social lives and what we know about their personalities changes the favourite yet again. Charlottes outspokeness in her letters to friends and aquaintences leaves me in no doubt that she was fiery and passionate- probably a fantastic friend but you wouldn't want to cross her. Emily is somewhat more dreamy enjoying her own company and the outdoors-something I can very much relate to.
    And Anne was much more of a home dweller- the least is known of her.
    I can only answer a poll like this if a better context is given. There simply cannot be just a generic favourite out of these 3 very different sisters.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowqueen View Post
    I’ve read Jane Eyre twice and gave up reading Villette just like you did. It’s one of the two books that I couldn’t finish; other is Tom Jones by Henry Fielding. Tenant of the Wildfell Hall is a good novel by Anne to start with.
    Thank you, Snowqueen. I will put that on my list of new author books to read this year.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Anne's books are actually quite savage. She really hates those men!

Savage in what sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowqueen View Post
    Savage in what sense?
    Men are all portrayed as brutes. Agnes Grey is particularly brutal, when little Tom says that he rips the legs and heads off birds. The only nice man is the pious effeminate romantic lead, Edward Weston.

1. Charlotte 2. Emily 3. Anne

Villette being my favorite of all their works.

Blog Entries
    I read Villette 2 years ago, and it is this months Book Club choice. I shall not be re-reading it.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is my choice of Bronte books. Its format makes it the most readable.
    ay up

I looooove Emily Bronte! I mean if you can't see how great is her prose, you have failed at life...
    Sure, Wuthering Heights it's not a "happy" book, but it is so intense...

Anne doesn't get enough recognition. I think Anne's work has never been fully appreciated and Charlotte was a b### with her. Agnes Greys is not as epic as WH or Jane Eyre yet I have always related more to Agnes than to Jane.

Charlotte...Oh Charlotte! That women had guts! I love the literary critism she did and that she had the courage to write something like Jane Eyre. Though, I think the beginning of that is somewhat hard to read.

*goes sobbing to a corner because she is the only one that likes the Bronte sisters in her class*

I'm alone in a world full of Jane Austen fans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123