Thread: Notes from The Lit Forum underground

Notes from The Lit Forum underground

Ideas for a new Soap?

Perhaps it’s less suited to a soap opera than to a parallel world, with the same gossip, rivalries and intrigues going on as in real life. Also, people are more unconscionable on a forum because it’s so anonymous.

The main characters:

Mad_Martha - is married to the gorgeous and delectable Tom (they have three beautiful children together). She flirts with the idea of sending her picture to Mr.Funny_Guy. Not content with the everything that her doting husband gives her, she sees herself as oppressed by her marital bliss and abundant happiness. Everything just isn’t enough. When she looks at her husband, she thinks only of Mr.Funny_Guy. Her favourite books are Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary.

Mr.Funny_Guy - has sent out over five hundred pictures in the hope that someone bites. His favourite part of the forum is the “Welcome to our newest member” section as it gives him fresh hope of a nibble on his bait. He reasons that no one really gives a toss about books but there are so many sad and discontented women out there that it would be criminal to leave them to their loving husbands. His favourite books are whatever he reads in the profiles of potential dupes.

Disgruntled Git – The villain of the piece. He looks down on everyone and sees through the games. He never stops showing off the little he knows and believes he’s on a mission to introduce sense to the discussions. Gets on everyone’s nerves. Favourite book: Molière’s Le Misanthrope.

Harriet_Harpy –another happily married woman who is so fulfilled with her life that she spends all of it online. Has a wonderful husband and lovely children. Dyslexic.

evangelista – uses any excuse to discuss the better world that exists just beyond the outer limits of cyberspace. Will consider a chewing gum wrapper as a religious text if it enables him to spout his credo. Not actually very keen on Literature – too many Godless cynics.

Student_Girl – Asks for or offers help with assignments. Favourite books: (in public) Finnegans Wake, (in private) Peyton Place.

sir bland – considers politeness to be the most important value in life. Enjoys playing the role of the forum’s voice of moderation. Favourite book: Happy Kitty Bunny Pony : A Saccharine Mouthful of Super Cute by Popink.

Horace – authoritative and wise. Sprays the target (but with an unloaded gun). Favourite book: Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero.

Does it have potential?

do we breathe?

If this was hollywood you would have a best seller on the New York Times list for about a kazillion weeks.
    Is this cyberspace hollywood. I am learning that it just may be.

Having experimented briefly and unsuccessfully with a new literary form – barnyard aphorisms – I have decided to continue the quest for a new means of expression. Samuel Richardson was master of the epistolary novel (Clarissa is a masterpiece if anyone is interested). I’m thinking of going for something similar – the cyber-epistolary novel. It will consist of a series of PMs passing between the aforementioned characters. Knowing that sex sells, I was intending to open with one of Mad_Martha’s confessions to another character I’m working on that she has been having impure thoughts about Mr.Funny_Guy.

I think there is a huge potential for the development of character but so far I fear it has too much of a satirical bent. Personally, I am a fan of satire but I believe most people only enjoy it when it’s directed at someone else. As a result, it’s just not marketable.

Blog Entries
    You probably won't be surprised to know that the cyber-epistolary novel has already been tried - Matt Beaumont's 'e - a novel', told entirely through a series of emails in a London ad agency. Available from all good airport bookshops - in its brief season.

Damn. I thought I was on to something there.

Perhaps I was – just not with regard to a new literary form.

Blog Entries
    It will consist of a series of PMs passing between the aforementioned characters.

Weird. About a month ago I suggested the same thing to a girl on another board regarding that board. She took it upon herself to do just that, and now she's writing it.
    However, I told her she should "pan out" to the real life of each of the characters so that the audience could observe the difference between the poster and their respective existence. People lie, or sometimes they don't see themselves for who they are, so how they represent themselves online is different from who they are in real life.
    Madness is my defense against Reality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    Perhaps I was – just not with regard to a new literary form.
    Suck it and see.

Do you actually KNOW such a student girl? And for a terrible moment I thought I was evangelista, though I hope I keep my Christianity to myself unless asked differently. I rather like the way St. Francis merely lived it not spouted it.
    And Mr. Bland,well that could be like a hundred nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    Do you actually KNOW such a student girl? And for a terrible moment I thought I was evangelista, though I hope I keep my Christianity to myself unless asked differently. I rather like the way St. Francis merely lived it not spouted it.
    And Mr. Bland,well that could be like a hundred nice people.
    No, it was no one in particular. None of them are. I was guided by Pope – he suggests that you keep your targets unspecific – that way those who fear it could be them will assume it is:

P.“What should ail 'em?
    F. A hundred smart in Timon and in Balaam:
    The fewer still you name, you wound the more;
    Bond is but one, but Harpax is a score.”
    The First Satire of the Second Book of Horace, Imitated Alexander Pope

And it certainly wasn’t meant to include you, Rachel:

“A Lash like mine no honest man shall dread,
    But all such babbling blockheads in his stead.”

Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot Pope

A warning or a possible plot twist?

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/ne...414040002.html

For 'mother', read 'husband', 'wife', 'boyfriend', 'girlfriend', 'significant other'.