Thread: Really need to understand Abridgement

Really need to understand Abridgement

I really need someone to expalin to me why books are abridged. In particular the Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. I read the scholastic version which greatly shortened the length of the novel. It left out tales such as the white seal. I really want to understand why they do this and how it can be legal to simply dumb down a classic story and publish it for profit. I'm studying to become a teacher and I'd really like to be able to explain to my student why I prefer that they read the original version. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

I think they abridge books because some people don't want to read the whole thing. Plus it's easier for younger readers. And some think the originals boring.

I read The Jungle Book for the first time when I was 8/9 years old, and I didn't find it too difficult.

A lot of people forget that the other tales, like the White Seal are even there.
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was going to start a thread and complain about abridgement. I bought a copy of the Count of Monte Cristo. The way I figure it, there are not many people who read anymore. But I think that if someone is willing to just pick up the book in the first place, wouldn't they want to read the entire edition?? It doesn't make much sense to me. If someone is intimidated by length, they obviously wouldn't pick up so large a book....so there is really no need to change it.

So the Jungle book is the same way???? GRRRRR
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

You don't want to know all the abridged books out there, all rather ridiculous. I don't have a problem with people reading those books, but I don't want to myself, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to do so. Some books are abridged even though the original is meant for children, easy to read, and not overly long.
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!