Thread: The Sea-Wolf

The Sea-Wolf

I thought this book was very interesting. I had to read this book for an assignment for school. I admit, at the beginning I thought that book was pretty dull and slow. Around chapters 6 and 7 I became more interested in the book. There was more action and more happening. I enjoyed the talks that Humphrey and Wolf Larsen had, because they made you think about life and consider what they were saying. In some ways you could relate to what they were saying, especially Wolf in about fighting to survive. In addition, I enjoyed the romance part, because I was hoping that Humphrey and Maud would become more then friends.

Jxz074 William Mulholland Middle School Student
    Last edited by jxz074; 03-06-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Thumbs up I Agree

I agree solemnly along with jxz074. I was also given this book to read as an assignment. The class as a whole was very dissapointed , thats at least most other students. They, along with me, felt it was complicated with its wording/vocabulary and at that, very boring. It had felt like that at the beginning, but as jxz074 mentioned, it became more and more interesting. Many thought it was interesting in different ways than others. I felt that as the assignment continued, I also felt evolution was an important to the book's theme. My favorite parts had to be those which had more action with Humprey Van Weyden. With all that was happening at the time, i am very surprised literature like this was alive.
    When our teacher took our book away, i was not finished, now im for sure going to go out and buy it.

William Mulholland middle school student

I agree axd1261, when our teacher gave the book to us, almost everyone in the class if was not happy. During the assignment our teacher made us take down vocabulary words to write down along with its definition, and we had to take a lot of notes. This I think made the class dislike the book even more. As soon as we reached chapter 6, our teacher said not to take notes, since he knew that was ruining the book for us. Then that's where the book started to become more interesting...

William Mulholland Middle School Student

axd1261 are you in my class in Mulholland??? Because your class sounds really similar to ours.....oh wait you are because our teacher gave us extra credit to post on this website.

In addition to reading the book, our teacher made us do an essay on the theme of this book. adx1261 what did you think about the essay simple or hard? I thought mine went pretty well, but it would have been easier if it could have been done on the computer, what about you???

Typing would have been a WHOle lot better, thats so true

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by axd1261
    Typing would have been a WHOle lot better, thats so true

Totally, but our teacher said we couldn't type it, because of the spell checker in the program, which was NOT FAIR, especially to perfectionists .

Quote Originally Posted by jxz074
    Totally, but our teacher said we couldn't type it, because of the spell checker in the program, which was NOT FAIR, especially to perfectionists .
    Did I say perfectionists....??? I meant to say typoholics...

I have to agree with jxz074 and axd1261 with the book. It was interesting overall even at the beginning. I enjoyed reading the book throughout our assignment. I knew that something would happen eventually between Humphrey Van Weyden and Maud Brester, and I was waiting for it. It finally happened at the end. At points I thought Wolf Larsen and Humphrey Van Weyden were getting along great when they had these little talks, but I realized overtime that wasn't going to happen. I would recommend this book, because it is interesting if you let it become interesting. If you don't give the book a chance, you are not going to like it, which some people in our class made that mistake.

I thought the book was very interesting, because I enjoyed the talking between Humphrey Van Weyden and Wolf Larsen, because their talks had meaning to life. Soem of the vocabulary words were difficult, but it made some sense to me when I used context clues. In the end, I did not finish our book, but I am definietely going to go out and buy the book so I can finish reading it.

Blog Entries

response to seawolf

Quote Originally Posted by sxb091 View Post
    I thought the book was very interesting, because I enjoyed the talking between Humphrey Van Weyden and Wolf Larsen, because their talks had meaning to life. Soem of the vocabulary words were difficult, but it made some sense to me when I used context clues. In the end, I did not finish our book, but I am definietely going to go out and buy the book so I can finish reading it.

What I found interesting was the character of Wolf Larson. He could have been played brutal and strong and stupid. Instead he's brutal because he's well read and a follower of Darwinism, survival of the fittest and all. As cruel as he seems, he suffers from a mental condition and recurrent headaches, and we feel for him in the end.

Eiseabhal
    What a clever clogs of a teacher to give you Brownie points for posting here.

Eiseabhal
    As for Mr Wolf I think you have to be careful which end you feel.