Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/10 for Wilde's short stories

10/10 for Wilde's short stories

When someone says Oscar Wilde most people automatically think of "The picture of Dorian Grey" or "The importantance of being earnest". However, I think Wilde's short stories such as "The Nightingale and the Rose" are just as amazing. Many people don't like short stories because there isnt alot of reading material, but Wilde's short stories carry really deep, meeaningful messages. I never thought I'd cry at a 12page story, but "The Nightingale and the Rose" moved me so much! So definantly 10/10 for Wilde's short stories!!

Blog Entries
    OK, you've piqued my interest. I'll try to read it this weekend.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

The Canterville ghost is very good too - and equally as emotionally moving.

I agree. I've never really understood popular culture's fascination with The Picture of Dorian Gray. I think Wilde's short stories are far superior; TPODG always seemed to me like a poorly stretched out short story.

I concur. "The Nightingale and the Rose" is one of my favourite stories, as well as "The Selfish Giant".
    a child blows a wish. who will tell him it won’t come true?

I have no idea what the story is about. But the title is intriguing. I'll try to look for it.

Blog Entries
    His "fairytales" are amazing, too! So much symbolism. First thing I ever read by Wilde. Probably wrote them for his child/children(?), but actually very adult.

Those two stories reminds me old folk tales.

Blog Entries
    "The Selfish Giant" has always been my favorite...so much symbolism. Wonderful material for an illustrator. I have a complete book of his fairytales/short stories....all are wonderful! I need to reread them again. It has been a long time, but you never forget them and their imagery. Lovely!
    Last edited by Janine; 11-01-2006 at 03:22 PM.

hello everybody! I'm new to this but I've read most of the posts and was very interested, so I decided to pick up a book full of Oscar Wilde's short stories and I've read about 4 of them, I've read "The Young King", "The Birthday of the Infanta", "The Fisherman and his Soul", and "The Star Child". After reading these 4, I've been trying to figure out how these 4 stories relate considering that they were written and dedicated to Mary. Does anybody have any idea? It'd be great if someone could reply! =) thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    i completely agree with you that Oscar Wilde is a prolific writer. He has an unmatched sense of classy humour. Each of his short stories is a gem by itself. i particularly enjoyed reading "The selfish giant" and "The Canterville ghost".
    i also suggest that you read his poetry (the short poems, especially). You will also enjoy reading his plays - "The importance of being Earnest" and "A woman of no importance".
    i would also like to tell you that i never get bored of reading Wilde's works over and over again.

I completely agree with everything that has been said in this thread!
    I am currently reading Wilde's short stories. I already knew some of them because I used to have an audio recording of them that I would listen to every day. And now that I am actually reading them, I realize that I have not forgotten them at all! These stories might be directed to children but an adult can very well read them too, and learn a lot about human nature, as Wilde is always so prone to satirize the worst aspects of men and society.
    I agree with you: the imagery is unforgettable, and everyone should read these short stories.

His short stories are too brilliant, so moving and emotional and oh so pretty.

I adored the 'Selfish Gaint'; 'The Happy Prince' & 'The Nightingale and the Rose' most. Though the others I read were as beautiful, meaningfull & thought provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    When someone says Oscar Wilde most people automatically think of "The picture of Dorian Grey" or "The importantance of being earnest". However, I think Wilde's short stories such as "The Nightingale and the Rose" are just as amazing. Many people don't like short stories because there isnt alot of reading material, but Wilde's short stories carry really deep, meeaningful messages. I never thought I'd cry at a 12page story, but "The Nightingale and the Rose" moved me so much! So definantly 10/10 for Wilde's short stories!!
    me too, the nightingale and the rose is very very sad,
    the four best stroies in my list will be the happy prince, the nightingale and the rose, the finsherman and his soul and the devoted friend
    though the remarkable rocket made me laugh so hard

Blog Entries
    So what has happened to this thread? I have checked out the other Oscar Wilde short story thread, but nothing seems to be happening in there either. I am a bit confused. Seems like there is no plan on either thread....hummm.....can someone fill me in on this? I would read the stories, if I know which ones were going to be discussed. Wouldn't it be better to take one at a time, anyway?
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast