Thread: Sacrifice in different religious text

Sacrifice in different religious text

In Scandinavia there used to be an old religion called Asatro. (Asa -belief). Very few are still believers. That religion contains of many gods, but I just realised an interesting similarity with Bible text (At least if I remember the story about the Asa gods correct) In the old myth the Allfather Oden sacrifies himself. He takes out his eye and and puts it in the well of wisdom, so that he may be allowed to drink from it. But the eye remains there, in the underground seeing evrything. If I remember correctly a psychoanalyst have used the myth about Oden, and the eye in the underground as a symbol for finding knowledge about oneself. (Might have been Rollo May).

Oden then hangs for nine days, I think, on a branch of the worldtree. Hanging people in trees was the traditional sacrifice to Oden. This sacrifice is by himself - to himself. He is after all the Allfather, and there is noone more powerfull to sacrifice to. I think this is somewhat alike the Bible text where Christ sacrifices himself on the cross. Since god, Christ and the Holy ghost are all one, he is also sacrificing by himself, to himself. (Hope Iīm making sense) . The interesting difference, I guess, is why they do it. Oden does it for knowledge, to gain something for himself. Christ does it to take mankinds sins away so that we can all be forgiven.

Iīve asked Sindhu if thereīs stories like this in hinduism.

I donīt know if my questions have a real point yet. But I think that there is a lesson in this. Donīt know what yet, though. So Iīm posting these thoughts here, and hope that it might give somebody else thoughts that can help mine along...
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Sacrifices are present in all religions. Supposedly, it's a way of showing god, a god, or the gods your devotion. Like most things in life, you have to give something in order to get something else.
    I don't see a particular resemblance between Odin (that's how it's called in spanish) and Jesus. As you said, they sacrificed different things because of different reasons. Also, christianism is about loving each other and peace, while Odin, the Aesir and the others were gods of war, struggling endless battles against an overpowerful evil; clearly a reflection of the harsh environment they lived in. Both religions have very few things in common, in my opinion.
    There are endless lessons to be learned in all religions. These are limited only by your personal interpretation.

Blog Entries
    I'll get back to Isagel's question about sacrifices in Hinduism later. Just now, I'd lik to reccomend a story "The knife and the Naked Chalk" in Kiplings Rewards and Fairies. (It's available online,)It illustrates beautifully how a man, who has sacrificed for the group "Becomes" a God, and more poignantly the aftermath- "Godhood" is a heavy weight and one you cannot get rid of- you cannot be a man again even if you want to. this is verysimilar of the predicament of Rama in the Ramayana. Once you make the sacrifice that transmutes you into a God in the eyes of your fellow beings, you have to carry that burden- there is no escape from it.
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

Odin (that's how it's called in spanish)

There are a lot of different spelling since all names are translated from runes. Odin, Oden , Aesir , asar, asa - they are all perfectly allright. It depends on which part of Scandinavia you come from.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Woden is also another spelling of the name...

I study the myths of Scandinavia and and other pats of the world if you need any more help Isagel I would be glad to help......So says the wise Odin......

Blog Entries
    It doesn't work for mortals.