Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Government Creation

Registered User XXdarkclarityXX's Avatar

My Government Creation

Ok, I had to do a project for school and it involved setting up the framework for an established oligarchy. This is what I came up with, and I'd like the opinion of the members here. The oligarchical title is the Organization. Any questions or comments are welcome.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Statutes of the Organization

In light of dwindling hope for the average human being, it has become apparent for those who possess the fortitude to lead to act on such potential. The human being, reduced to a number and a statistic, is finding himself progressively lacking of leadership with the passage of time. This leadership must result from those who are most socially and economically stable, so that such stability will afford support to conduct leadership of the masses. The Organization has defined themselves as such people and come together as an oligarchy of five to provide for the well being of the people. As shepherds have an obligation to care for their sheep, the Organization finds itself obligated to provide for the welfare of the people by imposing certain measures. These statutes consist of the following:

- The Organization finds that a transcendent perspective of affairs is necessary to manage the population effectively. Citizens are unable to make such decisions because of their position within the state. For this reason, the Organization will collectively make all decisions relating to every facet of a citizen’s life in the interest of the citizen and the state.

- The state will be divided into five regions of equal proportion based upon geography and population of the land. Each of the five members of the Organization will come from one of these regions and are required to choose their successors from their native region.

- Should a member of the Organization fail in the performance of his or her duties, they will be immediately expelled and replaced by a successor with the unanimous support of the remaining members. The appointed successor will replace the terminated oligarch.

- The member of the Organization freely promotes and encourages diverse thought in all citizens, as thought poses no actual harm. However, actions originating from such thought must be in accordance with the beliefs of the Organization due to the destructive nature of actions contrary to such beliefs. Action contrary to the state leads to a lack of order and control, and therefore cannot be tolerated in even the most infantile state. The only individuals exempt from such policy are the defense lawyers because it is the nature of their occupation to defend stances which are contrary to the state.

- Religion is not to be practiced by the citizens of the state because of its ability to produce diversity and morality, which provide grounds for objection to state sanctions and beliefs. Since singularity of action among the population is obligatory for the success of both the people and the Organization, the practice of religion cannot be tolerated.

- Because the Organization demands a high level of stability from the masses, it insists upon total and complete obedience in all aspects of society. Failure to do so will result in the appropriate punishment. Punishments will be determined by a consensus of the members of the Organization and will be reciprocal to the violation committed.

- The justice system of the state will include the Regional Courts, the Law Enforcement, and the Legal Community. These will be subordinate institutions within the Department of Services. The Regional Courts shall conduct trials of all suspected violators of the law, and each regional court will have one Regional Supreme Judge who will preside over all cases. The Regional Judge will be appointed by a unanimous vote within the Organization. The Law Enforcement exists primarily to serve and protect both the people and the law. It will be headed by five Supreme Regional Police Chiefs, one for each region. As with the Regional Judge, the Regional Police Chief must be appointed by a unanimous vote of the Organization. The Legal Community consists of both prosecutors and defense lawyers. Prosecutors will defend the interests of the law and the state, while defense lawyers will attempt to defend those accused of crimes. Each region will produce lawyers of both types from their educational system to be used in the Regional Courts.

- Because of the stresses placed on internal affairs within the state, foreign policy will consist of limited contact with other nations. Contact will be initiated for the sole purpose of exporting surpluses of material goods. Domestic trade between regions is not permitted. Due to the economic strain to the state caused by war, the Organization will refrain from initiating conflict on members of the international stage. However, the state will remain vigilant against attacks from other nations and therefore requires a sizable military force to provide for the welfare of the state and the citizens. The military force will be lead by a general appointed by the Organization.

- The Organization realizes the potential for the misuse of funds by citizens of the state. It also sees a direct link between the misuse of funds and the emergence of poverty within the masses. Therefore, it shall sustain a material-based economy in which the population is given the necessities to sustain life. Monetary units will not be utilized in any form, except in transactions relating to the export of surplus supplies. The Organization will determine a definition of what is necessary for each family within the state based on family size. If an individual is not part of a family, they may still request for supply requisition. However, their supply allotment will be reduced accordingly. It is the responsibility of the family to notify the government of the family size on a weekly basis, regardless of the degree of fluctuation regarding the number of members in the family. Any family who falsifies a family population report in an attempt to create a surplus will be given half the amount of supplies deemed necessary for the family for the remainder of their existence.

- The education system shall be of no cost to the citizen and the Organization requires that all members of the population begin their education at the age of eight. Before the commencement of a citizen’s education, their mother is required to stay home and care for them for the first three years after their birth. At the age of three, the child will attend a state implemented daycare until such time as they are ready to be integrated into the education system. The education shall consist of academic study augmented with military training. The duration of a citizen’s education will last twelve years, after which the citizen will be eligible to take a state sanctioned occupational aptitude test and required to enter the work force. The results of this will determine an individual’s occupation. Those with high military training scores will be sent to the Department of Services to serve full time in the military.

- The labor system within the state will be divided into the Departments of Supply and Services. The Department of Supply will be responsible for the allocation of supplies, to include food, to all families within the state. The Department of Services will include the military, police force, judiciary council, fire department, medical personnel, civil servants, and maintenance personnel in order to secure the longevity of state. Work hours are determined by the current demands of the state and are subject to fluctuation. Laborers will be paid at the beginning of the week with enough supplies to provide their family with life necessities for that week. The family member holding the most prestigious occupation as determined by the Organization will collect the supplies for their family. The existence of labor unions will not be tolerated, as they employ free speech to obtain their objectives and have the potential to cause unrest among the laborers.

It is in the best interests of the people to not only obey the above measures, but also to support them. They should not be read in the context of restriction, but rather through the eyes of a sheep in need of both protection and direction. It is these statutes which will provide both, and in doing so will allow for the citizens of the state to function without threat of harm or injustice. The future leaders of the Organization must also be duly vigilant in the maintenance of such regulations. As it is not prudent for a shepherd to allow his sheep beyond the limits of the pasture, nor is it wise for leaders of the state to stray from the utilization of said measures. Likewise, the Organization must use caution so as to never afford the citizens any more power or privilege than is prescribed by the aforementioned statutes. Sheep have neither the ability nor the aptitude to lead themselves, similar to the citizens of the state. Thus, the Organization finds its existence similar to that of an eternal group of shepherds, using the light of the Statutes to guide the flock.
    Name? Dissent is my name, and it is I who plagues the realm of tranquility in this tangible world which we call life. My identity is that which articulates the nature of my personality. Therefore you may call me dissent. Ahhh the amusement of the intellectually blind! The splendor of those who speak but know not! How the folly of human views have perverted the truth, such a melancholy tale is this! No, there is nothing left now. Merely the remnants of dark clarity.

Scher, is that you?

I realize this can be construed as "political", but please keep it unlocked. I'd love to hear responses/comments/questions, etc.
    Name? Dissent is my name, and it is I who plagues the realm of tranquility in this tangible world which we call life. My identity is that which articulates the nature of my personality. Therefore you may call me dissent. Ahhh the amusement of the intellectually blind! The splendor of those who speak but know not! How the folly of human views have perverted the truth, such a melancholy tale is this! No, there is nothing left now. Merely the remnants of dark clarity.

UNNAMEABLE, are you trying to get yet another thread closed?! (she trips and falls into the ocean because she was so busy watching the sunset that the boob she is she didnt' realize pretend board walk of the imagination will not keep you out of water)
    You are so funny and exasperating at the same time. How DO you do that?

Well that was quite awesome and depressing and since I am a sheep I am going to take up kickboxing, learn to bite flesh and study the art of camoflauge. perhaps with a bit of skill I can dye myself green and be a bush.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Darkclarity,

As long as the discussion does not involve current politics, I don't see why the thread should be closed.

However, I will move it to General Writing section where those members who are interested in offering criticism are more likely to see

At a very quick glance, it seems like a well written project yet is it supposed to be an essay or an action plan or proposal? It might be a good idea to use headings and to divide various points accordingly?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 02-24-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you need a more detailed description of the justice and penal systems. Seems to me a lot of people are going to be getting locked up.

Sorry, XXdarkclarityXX and Rachel. I wasn’t trying to get the thread closed (God knows I have enough difficulty trying to get them to remain open ). When I wrote “Scher, is that you?” I meant ‘is that you posting?’ rather than ‘Is that you approaching?’ I was implying that such an exhaustive and severe list of prescriptive measures could only have come from a mod.

Okay XXdarkclarityXX, I have a question. Why? Was your remit to produce a universally loathed oligarchy? Was it to write satire? I found it hugely entertaining even if I did skim read some parts. Do you foresee any resistance form the citizens? Would cable TV still be available?

I don’t think your system is as far from reality as many would like to believe. However, everything is in the presentation. People will object that your system utterly ignores the value of the subjective human individual. They don’t like being considered as no more than ‘sheep’, especially when they are.

I doubt that your country would have much of a tourism industry.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    Sorry, XXdarkclarityXX and Rachel. I wasn’t trying to get the thread closed (God knows I have enough difficulty trying to get them to remain open ). When I wrote “Scher, is that you?” I meant ‘is that you posting?’ rather than ‘Is that you approaching?’ I was implying that such an exhaustive and severe list of prescriptive measures could only have come from a mod.

Okay XXdarkclarityXX, I have a question. Why? Was your remit to produce a universally loathed oligarchy? Was it to write satire? I found it hugely entertaining even if I did skim read some parts. Do you foresee any resistance form the citizens? Would cable TV still be available?

I don’t think your system is as far from reality as many would like to believe. However, everything is in the presentation. People will object that your system utterly ignores the value of the subjective human individual. They don’t like being considered as no more than ‘sheep’, especially when they are.
    Ahhh ok. So your intentions were merely inquisitive. I understand.

Now to adress Unnamable's question of "why".....

When I was told I was doing an oligarchy, I did what any good high school student (read "robot") does: check Merriam-Webster. Well, I got the formal definition and what it basically said was that an oligarchy is just pluralistic tyranny. Total control by the few, instead of by one.

I wrote the outline above with the intentions that it would be good enough for five people to sit down tomorow and use the document to take complete control of a large population. I also wrote the document with the approach that there would be many objections to what I was doing. People hate authority, especially on a grand scale. So, I covered and countered every objection people might have about my government plan. How do you stop poverty? Well, calculate people's needs so there's no mismanagement or social class changes. When one man gets rich, another ends up poor. How do you stop revolt? Well, you get rid of motivations to revolt. People revolt because they are not happy with their present situation, or because an interior influence tells them to. So, outlaw religion and provide the people with all their basic needs. Morality is a huge roadblock to progress. How many times have you heard someone say, "That's not moral so I'm not doing it."? Well, that can't happen if morality doesn't exist.

Those are the types of questions and answers that I debated with myself when making it. The finished product is what you all read.

I'd like to add that I was dead serious when writing this. This wasn't satirical to me at all, because what I created is a blueprint for complete power by the few.

Lastly, I think a lot of you are under the impression that this was an individual effort and that it hasn't been graded yet. This was done with four others, hence the number five in the document. I was the main contributor to what you read, but others did help. We got an "A" on it, and the presentation was me reading the introduction in a booming voice (the class was on its feet clapping) and the rest of the group members hitting on the different points expressed about labor, education, religion, etc.

And about tourism, I believe it to be a pompous industry. Those nations who sell themselves to others by offering internal attractions and sights are just psychologically insecure about their quality. Quality speaks for itself, and it need not be verified by others to be present within a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by XXdarkclarityXX
    And about tourism, I believe it to be a pompous industry. Those nations who sell themselves to others by offering internal attractions and sights are just psychologically insecure about their quality.
    ...or just plain poor?

Did you find my explanation a bit wordy, XC?

Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    Scher, is that you?
    Unlike some other members, I don't keep multiple accounts, Unnamable (or should I say 'Pinter_fan?)

~
    ~

Come now, let us not diverge from the tracks upon which this thread is riding.

I am not sure what more you would like to hear, Dark.

You asked us to give our opinion but later on, when some did so, you cut it short by saying that you had already presented it and got an A (suggesting that they are obsolete?)

I still do think, as another teacher, your plan could benefit from clearer headings and divisions. I find it somewhat wordy and at places unnecessarily striving to be so.

The real digression would happen if we start to discuss your opinions, especially on tourism but we don't want to do that. You see tourism is not much different from what you are doing when you post your already submitted and marked assignment here:
    Those nations who sell themselves to others by offering internal attractions and sights are just psychologically insecure about their quality. Quality speaks for itself, and it need not be verified by others to be present within a nation.
    Since you are done with it, should we wonder whether the reason you posted it here is to seek 'verification'? Or that you feel 'insecure' or 'pompous' even?

But of course not. You posted because you really did want to hear our opinions. Just like we often do, to offer some and gain some; to learn a little from us while we learn a little from your assignment.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 02-26-2006 at 01:37 AM.
    ~
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast