Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Sequitur

Okay, I'm out of here. Have fun wearing your non sequiturs.

come back dear Basil. here is a tray, cream or sugar, lemon or honey. Please.......don't go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rachel; 05-20-2006 at 01:38 PM.

well there you go dear Basil, a tea party and becoming the object of your dear parent's love-solely. That is the spirit. As for the little sister, I have it on good authority that she wasn't that kind to her dear brother , however Rachel noticed she still breathed and whisked her away to faerie land to live with the elves who named her Barrwyn and she is happy there. Now where were we......oh yes, chocolate cake or white, cream or Irish Whisky in your tea dear?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, those dear faeries.

The faeries paid me a visit when I was a little boy. They crept in through my bedroom window late at night. They smelled kind of funny, like rubbing alcohol. Anyway, they whisked me off to Faerie Land, which turned out to be the vacant lot behind Earl's Auto Repair. There we played all sorts of fun faerie games; I can't tell you what they were because the faeries told me they were secret faerie games and I couldn't tell anyone about them (I didn't want to play some of them, but they made me anyway).

It was there the faeries left me; I had to find my own way home in the dark. I never thought I would meet real faerie folk, nor did I guess how closely they would resemble the hoboes who lived out at the old abandoned train depot. Their ways certainly are mysterious. Anyway, the reason I don't like tea is because the faeries kept making me drink "tea" that night, except it tasted really bitter and made my throat hurt and made feel really dizzy and sick and nauseous. Please don't make me drink tea, Rachel. Please?

okay darling, I will tell you what. You write out the entire menu for our tea party, food and drink and where it will be and I will do all I can to please you.
    And I am so sorry for what those strange faeries did to you. I promise you they are not from my faerie land, they sound a little like the members of Tuatha de dannan from ancient Celtic lore , I love them, but some were evil rogues. And because they were so skilled in dark magic they actually won wars because the other side could not compete nor even understand their dark and terrifying magik.
    Well they had better never come back to bother you again dearest Basil. I know a thing or two that has been passed down to me. And I heard they cannot bear True Love , it hurts their eyes and makes them swoon. I shall use that against them and keep you safe.
    So write the menu dear and I will see to your every heart's desire. See I threw the tea away. All gone.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries

Ok, I probably shouldnt be joking about this (guy got killed there on Friday night), but take a close look at the picture....notice anything wierd? I'm sure in most places in the world the police would use cones to tape off the area. Not in glasgow however, why use a cone when you've got a few kegs lying around?
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

If I remember correctly, (and I'm over 40) non sequitur means something like "It does not follow" or words to that effect, an oxymoron type of thing. Something like why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Or if skull size is related to intelligence, shouldn't the T-Rex have been the predominate species? Does SPAM (the canned kind) really stand for SPiced hAM or Stuff Posing As Meat?
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    Oh when I saw ths my first thought was concerning our recent controversey. We were all going to get banned from the entire internet!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Nice going Basil and Rachel, the top of my screen now contains three advertisements for tea.

Speaking of tea:

Tea leaves darken with exposure to oxygen after they are picked in much the same way that any other leaf changes colors in the fall. There are four different categories of tea: green, white, oolong and black. They are diferentiated by the ammount of time that they are allowed to darken after they are picked. White tea is the least processed, and therefore the most expensive and sought after kind of tea.

This is the kind of crap you learn when the girl who works at the health food store is really attractive.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Got a 48. I don't really like that test. My result was probably marred by the fact that I eat quite a bit less than most people (and am still slightly overweight) and the fact that I am a vegetarian.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

RSI danger from excessive texting

Experts have warned of the dangers of overuse of mobile phones and game consoles in children after a young girl developed repetitive strain injury. Isabelle Taylor, aged eight from St Anne's, Lancashire noticed pain in her fingers and wrists after sending up to 30 text messages a day.

RSI is normally associated with office workers who spend hours hunched over a computer keyboard.

But the condition is becoming common in children addicted to technology.

Isabelle's mother Jane Taylor, 40, said her daughter was "constantly" texting on her mobile but that it wasn't until she was diagnosed with RSI that the extent of her texting became apparent.

"She got the phone when she was six and she's constantly on it.

ADVICE FROM THE BRITISH CHIROPRACTIC ASSOCIATION
    Support your arm on a chair or table to take the 'load' off the neck and shoulder muscles
    Massage your arm from the wrist to the elbow at regular intervals and swap hands regularly
    Sit in a neutral upright position - head over shoulders and arms comfortably near the body

"I tried to take it off her but she started sneaking it to school. But then she started complaining about pains in her arms and hands a couple of months ago."

Mrs Taylor has limited Isabelle's texting to 30 minutes before and after school and she is doing exercises to alleviate the condition.

Sending text messages can lead to RSI because mobile phone users tend to hold down their shoulders and upper arms when pressing the buttons, cutting off blood to the forearm.

Technology overload

Dr David Cosgrave, who treated Isabelle said he sees two children a month with RSI from overuse of gadgets.

"A lot of youngsters who operate their Playstations or use their phones a lot can suffer inflammation which can be quite painful in the upper arms and wrists.

"Many times these pains are put down to growing pains when there is actually something else causing it.

Tim Hutchful, from the British Chiropractic Association said that text messaging regularly, over a long period of time, could cause repetitive strain which may cause both short and long term injuries.

"As mobile phone technology develops, mobiles are getting smaller, with buttons closer together. Small, fine movements tend to aggravate more than larger movements - this coupled with the smaller buttons can lead to injury as smaller buttons are harder to activate.

"When you are text messaging, you tend to hold your shoulders and upper arms tense. This cuts down the circulation to the forearm, when in fact it needs a greater than normal blood flow to achieve the fine movements of the thumbs and fingers."

Earlier this year the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy issued guidance for mobile phone users on avoiding injury.

Physiotherapist Bronwyn Clifford who helped develop the guide said: "Excessive texting and prolonged use of the buttons and dials found on an array of modern handheld gadgets, including MP3s, Blackberry devices and portable games consoles, can contribute to hand, wrist and arm problems.

"The small, definite, repetitive movements used to manoeuvre controls on these tiny handsets can begin to cause pain over time.

"The thumb, while good for gripping, is not a very dextrous digit and is particularly susceptible to injury."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5063364.stm
    ~
    ~

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Here's a far better solution: Take the infernal noisy contraption away from the kid......why children need mobile phones I have no idea.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast