Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Non Sequitur

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Marital rows 'harm heart health'

Marital rows do not just produce harsh words and hot air - they can harden your arteries too, a study suggests. But the cause of the damage differs depending on your gender, the research by University of Utah scientists involving 150 couples found.

They said arterial disease in women was linked to either partner demonstrating hostility, but in men it was linked to either showing controlling behaviour.

The research was presented to the American Psychosomatic Society meeting.

The researchers studied 150 married couples, with at least one partner in their sixties, who were all paid to participate in the study.

None had ever been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease.

Each couple was asked to pick a topic, such as money, in-laws, children, vacations and household chores - that caused disagreements in their marriage.

They were then videoed while they discussed the topic, watched by psychology students.

It was assumed such discussions were "muted" versions of what happened at home because the couples were being watched.

Calcification

The comments were coded as friendly or hostile, submissive or dominant or controlling.

For example, comments such as "you can be so stupid sometimes" or "you're too negative all the time" were coded as hostile and dominant.

Participants were also given a scan to check for signs of disease.

When the results were analysed, it was found that the wives who made the most hostile comments during the discussion had a greater the degree of calcification, which indicates that plaque is building up in the arteries that supply blood to the heart.

Particularly high levels of calcification were found in women who behaved in a hostile and unfriendly way and who were interacting with husbands who were also hostile and unfriendly, the researchers found.

However, husbands who displayed more dominance or controlling behaviour, or whose wives displayed such behaviour, were more likely than other men to have more severe hardening of the arteries.

Some couples who were most hostile were referred to marriage guidance by the researchers.

None of the people with plaque build-up were classed as a medical emergency, but some had scores which were high enough for them to be advised to talk to their doctor.

Professor Tim Smith, who led the research, said: "Disagreements are an unavoidable fact of relationships.

"But the way we talk during disagreements gives us an opportunity to do something healthy."

He added: "People get heart disease for lots of reasons.

"If someone said, 'what's the most important thing I can do to protect my heart health?' my first answers would be 'don't smoke', 'get exercise' and 'eat a sensible diet'.

"But somewhere on the list would be 'pay attention to your relationships'."

Strained relationships

British Heart Foundation head of medical information Belinda Linden said: "There is now good evidence that emotions such as depression, anger, hostility and conflict are linked with an increased risk of heart disease.

"This study focuses on how these emotions within a marital relationship might affect people's heart and circulation.

"These emotions can be triggered when relationships are strained, particularly if there are also other problems such as lack of support, or financial difficulties."

She added: "We know that pressures such as anger or hostility can release certain chemical in the body that may increase the risk of heart disease, but we still need to understand more about how this can affect our heart and circulation."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4771032.stm
    ~
    ~

Ides of March: Why worrry?

Forget Friday the 13th. Ignore ladders, black cats, broken mirrors and spilt salt. Think instead of today, March 15, and beware.

As superstitions go, being wary of the ides of March is certainly more unusual. Yet the day does have a certain resonance.

In the complicated world of the Roman calender, there were 45 public festivals (not bad compared to the UK's eight bank holidays), as well as the ides of each month, days which were sacred to Jupiter.

In March, May, July and October, the ides fell on the 15th.

The Julian calendar, established by Julius Caesar, gave us the basis of our system of 365 days a year and 366 in a leap year. But for the most part, the Roman festivals of his time have had their day.

The ides of March, however, is one day that continues to appeal, marked because that was the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated in the senate, in 44BC.

Its modern-day memory is thanks, like so many things, to Shakespeare's way with words.

In act one, scene two of Julius Caesar, Caesar asks a soothsayer what the future holds.

Caesar: Who is it in the press that calls on me?
    I hear a tongue, shriller than all the music
    Cry "Caesar!" Speak. Caesar is turn'd to hear.
    Soothsayer: Beware the ides of March.

Although today the reference will not be understood by everybody, David Ewing Duncan, author of The Calendar, wrote that it was not always so.

A Roman saying "four ides" (meaning four days before the ides) would be just as clear to other Romans as someone saying March 11.

And furthermore, the system lasted 2,000 years, well into the Renaissance, he wrote. This meant Shakespeare could include the line, and expect his audience to know what he meant.

Test of time

However, just four hundred years later, the ides seems set only to survive as a literary and historical reference - in spite of it being the date by which debts (including Caesar's) were usually settled.

Professor Eileen Barker, of the London School of Economics, said it was a shame but the ides probably only had significance for schoolchildren reading Julius Caesar.

"I was thinking about this when I saw what date it was, and I thought no wonder I'm feeling awful," she said.

One significant historical event that fell on the ides of March is, perhaps, worth noting. It was on this day in 1876 that Test cricket was born.

Reason for anyone to beware? Perhaps for the English.

It was against Australia.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_r...dia/296942.stm
    ~
    ~

So, have you spoken to a man about that list in the second post of the thread? (Point number 9 comes to mind.)
    It sounds like band-aid, shallow trend advice. I'm sure you could do better than this from your heart, and not settle for some guy that would seem to fall for such cosmo-bait.

Japan claim World Classic title

Japan survived a furious Cuban comeback to claim the inaugural World Baseball Classic title 10-6 on Monday. Japan jumped into a 4-0 first-inning lead at a sold-out Petco Park as Cuba's amateur hurlers needed three pitchers just to get the first three outs.

Cuba recovered from 6-1 down in the fifth when Frederich Cepeda's two-run homer in the eighth made it 6-5.

But Ichiro Suzuki's single and a bases-loaded, two-run double from Kosuke Fukudome sealed Japan's victory.

It was only their fifth win in 38 meetings with the Olympic champions.

"This is probably the biggest moment in my baseball career," said Seattle Mariner's All-Star outfielder Suzuki.

"I was always thinking we would need a good event to decide the world's best in baseball.

"We really wanted to win this game today and I didn't even think about the upcoming season.

"I didn't really care if I got injured in this game, that's how much I really wanted to win this one. That's how we were driven to this championship."

Fans packed into sports bars across Japan to watch the game live on what was Vernal Equinox Day, a national holiday.

"I thought my heart would stop," said Kanako Miyake, a 25-year-old ad agency worker. "But we won, so everything's fine."

Japan only reached the semi-finals thanks to Mexico's shock win over the pre-tournament favourites United States.

But they made the most of their reprieve to beat South Korea 6-0 for a place in the final.

"Up until Japan beat South Korea, I didn't think we would make it. But after that game, I finally thought we had a chance," said Shun Kando, 43, a theatre actor.

Baseball is the number one sport in Japan but has seen its popularity come under threat from football.

"I think that this win may bring Japanese young people back to baseball," added Miyake.

The final provided a fitting finale to an experimental 17-day, 16-nation competition that proved hugely popular, attracting 737,112 spectators to 39 games.

"This is a game that will go down in history," said Cuban manager Higinio Velez.

"This is the first Classic, it was the first final game of a Classic. Japan won and we congratulate them for that.

"They deserve these words of congratulations for the way they played, the courage, the type of game they played."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/4828204.stm
    ~
    ~

Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Wink Why men lie

By Matthew Sakey

Men lie. Women lie as well, but it doesn't seem like they do it nearly as often. And while it's easy to dismiss dishonesty of any kind as wrong, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that, while not necessarily excusing the deception, at least put it into some context. Remember, though, that there are at least as many reasons that men lie as there are men, and like those men, some reasons are good, and some are not so good. Take a look at a few of the more common reasons for deception:

1. He didn't want to hurt you Lying to protect someone's feelings is probably the closest thing to a "good lie" there is, with the exception of lying to protect national security. Men have been known to modify truths if those truths would hurt someone they care about, and in some cases, the victim of the lie can appreciate it as a kindness. "I will lie to spare her feelings if I can," says Marcus, 29. "In a way, I don't even consider it dishonest... it's a matter of doing something kind versus doing something right. That's a difficult choice."

2. He didn't want to hurt himself Ah, the classic "the truth would have embarrassed me" argument. Falling into the "nice try" category of excuses, a lie that protects the liar's feelings is a lot worse than one that protects yours. "I can't think of a single reason to lie just to spare my own feelings," says Tony, 38. "I suppose I've done it occasionally, but protecting yourself at the expense of someone else is wrong."

3. He said what he thought you wanted to hear Men are not the most astute readers of feminine desires, and sometimes they will tell a fib because they believe that you'd rather hear an untruth than something potentially hurtful. "I have occasionally defused a fight by saying something she wants to hear, even if it's untrue," says Bryan, 30. "It's not something I defend, just something that seems right at the time."

4. Some things are best left unsaid Occasionally, men will lie to protect a secret that is either not your business, would cause trouble if revealed, or both. The old "cover-up" comes in two types: a lie to conceal some wrongdoing, like cheating, and a lie to conceal something else, like the fact that he, too, used to be a woman. "Even close couples occasionally have secrets," says Peter, 29. "The fact is, not everything is everyone's business. Some sleeping dogs should be left alone."

5. He's an idiot Sometimes there is no excuse. Sometimes men lie, for whatever reason, and there's just no defence. Frustratingly, such men are often adept at concealing themselves, so you must trust your heart and instincts when you sense deception. If a man is habitually dishonest, he's probably not worth your time.

Cicero once said, "So great is the power of honesty that we esteem it even in an enemy." While lies can spare feelings, offset trouble and protect secrets, the fact is that honesty is an unassailable fortress, even if the truth sometimes hurts. You must take deceptions as you take your men: on a case-by-case basis. When you've been lied to, trust is in doubt forever, but can also be regained with a lot of hard work on both sides. Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself.
    http://msnuk.match.com/matchscene/ar...annerID=558924
    ~
    ~

~
    ~

U2 line tops favourite lyric poll

A line from U2's 1992 hit One has been voted the UK's favourite song lyric. The line "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" came top of a poll of 13,000 people by music channel VH1.

The song reached number seven in the UK chart when it was originally released, but a new version featuring Mary J Blige recently went to number two.

A lyric from The Smiths' song How Soon is Now? came second in the poll, followed by a line from Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

A call from Bob Marley to "free our minds" in his Redemption Song came fourth, with Coldplay's hit Yellow in fifth.

Memorable moments from Eminem, Robbie Williams, The Who, Radiohead and Marvin Gaye were also in the top 10.

John Lennon's Imagine did not feature in the top 20 despite coming top of a similar survey in 1999.

The top five lyrics in the VH1 poll were:

1. U2 - One. "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers."

2. The Smiths - How Soon is Now? "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die."

3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us."

4. Bob Marley - Redemption Song. "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds, have no fear for atomic energy, 'cause none of them can stop the time."

5. Coldplay - Yellow. "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4915848.stm
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Top 20 Sayings We'd Like To See On Those Office Inspirational Posters:

1. Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by
    killing all those who opposed them.
    2. If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably
    haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.
    3. Doing a job RIGHT the first time gets the job done. Doing the job WRONG
    fourteen times gives you job security.
    4. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    5. Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
    6. A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat.
    7. Plagiarism saves time.
    8. If at first you don't succeed, try management.
    9. Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether.
    10. TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself.
    11. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    12. Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.
    13. We waste time so you don't have to.
    14. Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away!
    15. Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker.
    16. A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all.
    17. When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break.
    18. INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY.
    19. Succeed in spite of management.
    20. Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

At least it's not "Roses are red..."

Though not half as fun
    I have a plan: attack!

The Perfect Time

For those working through the night or just staying up late, it promises to be a time when clockwatching should be positively encouraged.

In the early hours of Thursday morning, the clock ticks past a time which is sure to appeal to the statistically-minded or just those who like a little bit of order in their lives.

For just a second - naturally - the time will be exactly 01:02:03 on 04/05/06.

Or at least it will be in the UK and the majority of countries which list dates in day and month order. In the US, the same phenomenon was observed on 5 April. ...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4965234.stm
    ~
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    UNDERSTANDING WOMEN

"Yes" = No
    "No" = Yes
    "Maybe" = No
    "I'm sorry" = You'll be sorry
    "We need" = I want
    "It's your decision" = You better select the option I’ve already chosen.
    "Do what you want" = You'll pay for this later.
    "We need to talk" = You did something wrong.
    "Sure, go ahead" = You go ahead, you die.
    "I'm not upset" = Of course I'm upset, you moron!
    "You're so macho" = Can you please go and shave and shower?
    "Be romantic, turn out the lights" = My thighs are flabby.
    "This kitchen is so inconvenient" = I want a new house.
    “Can’t we just be friends?” = There is no way in hell I'm going to let any part of your body touch any part of mine again.
    “I just need some space” = Without you in it.
    “We’re moving too quickly” = I want to find out if this guy at the gym has a girlfriend first.
    "Do you love me?" = I want something expensive.
    "Is my butt fat?" = Tell me I'm beautiful.
    "You have to learn to communicate" = Just agree with me.
    “I don’t know. What do you want to do?” = I can’t believe you have nothing planned!
    “Sure, chicken rice is okay.” = You cheapo slob!
    "I said, nothing’s wrong, okay?" = It's that time of the month.
    "Are you listening to me!?" = Too late, you're dead.

I wanted to post the Understanding Men part, but considering the nature of this forum, I decided not to post it

For those working through the night or just staying up late, it promises to be a time when clockwatching should be positively encouraged.

In the early hours of Thursday morning, the clock ticks past a time which is sure to appeal to the statistically-minded or just those who like a little bit of order in their lives.

For just a second - naturally - the time will be exactly 01:02:03 on 04/05/06.

Or at least it will be in the UK and the majority of countries which list dates in day and month order. In the US, the same phenomenon was observed on 5 April. ...
    It just happened - which probably means I'm going to be late for work again!

Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast