Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which character did you pity the most?

Which character did you pity the most?

While thinking about the sufferings of characters, I thought that which character from "Wuthering Heights" did you pity the most?

I pity nearly each of them.

Hareton, for being treated so badly by Heathcliff.

Linton, whose mother died so young and he was a weak poor creature. Even his father did not show his love for him.

Cathy, whose mother died on the day she was born and things were also difficult for her.

Isabella, who was treated badly by Heathcliff and had a miserable life after marrying him.

Hindley, who did not get the love of his father and hated Heathcliff but when Heathcliff was in power, he was the centre of heathcliff's revenge.

Catherine, who married the "wrong" person, whom she should not have married. She belonged to heathcliff. According to her, there souls were the same.

Heathcliff, who suffered from childhood to the death and had not seen his true parents and was spoilt by Mr. Earnshaw.

Ellen Dean, who was locked by Heathcliff with Cathy and bore a lot of difficulities.

But for one, I felt the most pity and it was Edgar Linton
    He was betrayed by his wife. His daughter and sister fell into the arms of Heathcliff. I felt really bad for him.

What about you guys? Which character did you pity the most?
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

World's Biggest Cat Lover
    Heathcliff is a byronic hero, which means that the book is written in a manner that causes the reader to feel strange sympathy for him. Notice Lockwood's comment at the very beginning regarding how he must have dealt with a lot of things in life to make him so cold...it's really interesting from a literary standpoint. And Edgar is Heathcliff's foil, but he certainly has his share of heartache.

i always felt the worst for isabella

I think that Isabella was not sensible enough to run away like that, so I don't have any pity for her.

Blog Entries
    For me hareton, for being raised like a savage.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Easilly Heathcliff

For me It has to be Heathcliff, He was in complete agony under Hindleys Tyranny, Was always cold shoulder by people as a lad for being a 'Gypsy' or a 'Devil' and was betrayed by Cathy for Power and Wealth I mean theres no quote in the novel colder than Catherines one about not Wedding Heathcliff due to his Status in my eyes, He also deals badly with Catherines death (The scene with the body being one of the best In Writing history IMO) Then just to rub salt into the wounds his Son is his complete opposite while his rival Hindleys son is like a Mirror Image of a younger uncorrupted Heathcliff, And by the ned of the Novel the only person who mourns him Ironically enough is his Rivals son.
    The Lockwood quote at the novel's beginning as sdr4jc says is prehaps the best way to sum up Heathcliffs life.

I Feel the least pity for Hindley and Edgar.

You should pity Hindley by far the most of any character in the novel. Hindley lost his wife, Frances at an early age. That is like losing his best friend. His life then sadly, took a turn for the worst and resorted to alchol and violence.
    Hindley has a son that hates him. We can all thank Heathcliff for that. He taught Haerton to hate his father and to curse at him. Hindley looks like he beats Haerton when all he is trying to do is discipline him and earn some respect.
    After all of this drama Hindley dies after a miserable life. He needs the pity.

Isabella doesn't need any pity

Which Character I Pity Most

The character I pity most is Isabella Linton. From childhood she was a pampered, spoiled, rich kid. As she grew older, she began to fall in love with Heathcliff. Everybody began to hate her for this, especially Catherine who was jealous. She had to run off with him to get married because of this fact. Heathcliff would no longer keep her spoiled and pampered, as she used to be. Now she would be abused both physically and mentally by him, nothing at all like the way she used to live. She couldn't run away for fear, so she just had to take all the abuse. She tried to get some relieve by writing a note to Nelly to bring her brother so she could talk to him. He wouldn't even come to see her. Isabella also grew very ill and died shortly after her son, Linton's birth. She never got to see how he grew up or what became of him. Therefore I pity Isabella the most.

marshall

Cool

I'd say the character in wuthering heights that I pity the most would have to be poor, little hareton earnshaw. As a child, little hareton's father beats him in his drunken rages. Then, it only gets worse. When poor Hareton meets Heathcliff, he is convinced that he should begin cursing at his father which only makes things much, much worse. When Hareton's abusive father, hindley dies, you would think things would get better for him but of course they don't. He becomes Heathcliff's personal slave and yet beaten worse by Heathcliff than by his father. Talk about a rotten life!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink

To me the character that I pity the most would definately have to be Isabella Linton. As a child and young adult she got everything she ever wanted because of her rich family. Now that she is older though she begins to look for other things in her life like marrage and children. Then comes along Healthcliff. Isabella slowly starts to fall in love with him not knowing that he does not love her back. They get married and it all goes downhill from there. Her brother Edgar Linton won't even talk to her because she has married his enemy, and he says that they are only related by name. That would be horrible if your own brother wouldn't even come see you or talk to you because you married the man you loved which happened to be his enemy. Then once her and Healthcliff have elpoed they move to the dark Wuthering Heights. Not to long after she is there Healthcliff starts to abuse her both mentally and physically. The only reason that he has married her is to help get his revenge, he doesn't care at all about her. She then becomes ill so she moves away to London where she gives birth to a baby boy named Linton. She dies not too long after that not knowing what will happen to her little Linton. As a result Isabella all her lif after her marriage had to live in fear and poverty. Wondering if she would ever make it through all the beatings from Heathcliff and then wondering what will happen to Linton. Isabella never got to enjoy a happy marriage where everything was happy, and have a celebration with family and friends that really cared. Some people say she could have left Healthcliff when he was mistreating her, but she really loved him and it is hard to leave someone you really love. That is why I would have to say Isabella is the character that I pity the most.

I think that Isabella needs not to be pitied. It was she, who left Edgar. She had a choice. She was warned that Heathcliff was not a man for her but she did not pay any heed to it. She was foolish enough to leave her brother for the sake of Heathcliff. Now don't tell me that in love a person is insane that's why she left even her brother. Didn't she love her brother? Her action shows that she did not love her brother with whom she spent her whole childhood. I think that she was attracted by Heathcliff's appearence....probably it was lust not love. (I can't be sure about it) but what I want to say that the action she did was extremely foolish.

RachelT, You says that she was a pampered child in her childhood but the thing is that she was not a kid when she accepted the proposal of Heathcliff. She was not a two years old, but a mature young woman, who should have known that what was better for her or what wasn't.

Cool Hareton...

I think the character that should be pitied is def. Hareton. He grew up without a father, but being raised by Nelly. Heathcliff, as Hareton grew older, began to teach Hareton to cuss at his father, basically teaching him to hate him. Hareton then became the slave to Heathcliff and Linton. Hareton never new what a true loving family was, seeing that he grew up in an abusive house, and his father pretty much dumped him into Nelly's arms to raise, making no attempt to learn about his son.

In the book there are many characters who should be pitied. However, I feel Hareton Earnshaw should be the most pitied. Heathcliff taught Hareton to hate his father and to cuss at him and also made him his slave. Growing up, Hareton basically didn't have a father. He was always drunk and came in, in drunken rages. He was practically dumped upon Nelly, for her to raise him. Poor Hareton never really got to experience how a real family works.

In the book Wuthering Heights so far I would have to say the character that I would have to pity the most is Heathcliff. There are many reasons on which to pity this character but the main one for me is his childhood. Heathcliff as a child did not Know his mom and dad for he was adopted. Then as he got older he fell in love with Catherine, who later on chose a different man to marry (Edgar). Then Catherine died. Also I pity him for in his life he really only loved Catherine. He thought of his own son as property and as a servant. These reasons are the reasons I believe Heathcliff should be pitied the most
    Last edited by gabbardt; 05-01-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast